Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Galactic Civilizations III

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Please don't fuck it up, please don't fuck it up. Too early to incline.
http://www.galciv3.com/game/faq

Q: What are the requirements to run Galactic Civilizations III?
A: It will require a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8 along with a DirectX 10 or 11 compatible video card. There will be no 32-bit version. Most PC gamers in 2013 have this kind of hardware, and it allows us to create the best game possible for the majority of our customers.

Q: Why are you requiring 64-bit?
A: We want Galactic Civilizations III, and future expansions, to be able to handle extremely large galaxies with a very high resolution graphics and large data sets for the computer AI to make use of. It allows us to design the best game possible without being constrained by the limitations of older hardware.

Q: Why don’t you support DirectX 9?
A: DirectX 10 and 11 allow us to easily have multiple threads touch the graphics card simultaneously. This results in much higher-quality font rendering, makes it a lot easier to support advanced UI scaling, and makes the game less CPU-bound which will be important for giving the artificial intelligence engine more processing power to execute VCSS’s (Very Complex Strategy Simulations). As with the decision to be 64-bit, it allows us to create a better game for the majority of players that already meet the requirements.

Last edited:

Achilles

Arcane
Well the trailer was fucking cool, I can't wait to see the game. Just watch those bugs Stardock!

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
A big :bro: to Stardock for not compromising and supporting antiquated hardware.

LeJosh

Savant
Cautious semi so far...

64-bit?
DX10 & 11 only?
high resolution planets/ships?
Super sized galaxies?

Now to wait and see how they execute all of that.

mondblut

Arcane
So GalCiv3 is a ploy to make people buy Stardock's replacements to shitty GUIs of recent Windows versions?

Mortmal

Arcane
Many here complained that gal civ was souless , so cant blame them now that they throw some money into CGI and art assets. It looks great by the way .

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I remember from my Java and OpenGL experience that multiple rendering threads were not worth the effort. Why didn't he used OpenGL, or Mantle?

m_s0

Arcane
So GalCiv3 is a ploy to make people buy Stardock's replacements to shitty GUIs of recent Windows versions?

Even windows XP had a 64-bit version.

Largely incompatible with both 32-bit and 64-bit software :smug:

Fuck you stardock, I am not trading my XP and DX9 for your game.

Is that so? I've never used 64-bit XP.

Dude, XP is over 10 years old. It's time to move on, just don't install W8.
It works perfectly fine and runs every single game I'm interested in. I don't feel like upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I absolutely enjoyed Gal Civ II with all expansions, recent patch and few mods. Good times, good times. Especially in my longest game, where AI was behaving so freaking realistic that I was seriously amazed. I'm not saying that AI in GalCiv II was good. It was making weird and random decisions from time to time, and it went so "different" that specific game that I absolutely loved it.

Imagine a very long mid-game session, where everyone was pretty much specialized in some kind of technology, so I was actually trading with every other AI there was. There was that random event which gives random faction access to very powerful ancient ship which pretty much flipped things upside down. From endless truce between factions, everyone turned against those guys with that ship, making powerful alliance. Eventually we were able to take that AI down, but he obliterated two other factions. Man, that thing was so unpredictable that I started to love this 4X.

Only serious problem I had with it was...Battles. Or rather lack of control in those. Why bother designing and creating your own ship from scratch, when you can't even give orders in battles? ;_; Maybe they will improve on that.

m_s0

Arcane
Only serious problem I had with it was...Battles. Or rather lack of control in those. Why bother designing and creating your own ship from scratch, when you can't even give orders in battles? ;_; Maybe they will improve on that.
Get your priorities straight, dammit. CGI and graphics first, design later.
Many here complained that gal civ was souless , so cant blame them now that they throw some money into CGI and art assets. It looks great by the way .
You won't solve that problem with CGI and art assets, though. If the game is bland and hollow by design no amount of window dressing will remedy that. And the CGI Stardock is able to afford will look like crap - as it does in this teaser-thing - anyway, because they just don't have the kind of money to make it look decent.

So yeah, I'm waiting for some actual info.

mondblut

Arcane
Dude, XP is over 10 years old. It's time to move on

It runs all the software I use, and works with all the hardware I have. Why in 9 hells would I need "to move on"? An OS is not a car or an iphone, it does not "get old".

As for being limited to 2gb RAM, it's enough for my needs.

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Dude, XP is over 10 years old. It's time to move on

It runs all the software I use, and works with all the hardware I have. Why in 9 hells would I need "to move on"? An OS is not a car or an iphone, it does not "get old".

As for being limited to 2gb RAM, it's enough for my needs.

Why not use Windows 95 then?

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with using XP per se. Just don't complain when games/software stop supporting it.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
It runs all the software I use

Obviously, since you can't run 64-bit applications anyway. :troll:

The ideal situation would be several separate computers - one for DOS, one for Win98/XP and one modern one, but that's not an option for most people so you have to make do with dosbox and other such witchraft.

mondblut

Arcane
Why not use Windows 95 then?

Because enough of software and hardware dropped their support of it by about year 2000. Which was when I switched. To 98.

Sure, that would eventually happen to XP as well, and my XP computer will be added to the pile of functional but unused computers towering a corner of my room (starting all the way from a DOS Pentium-120). But until that happens, I am sticking to it, and GalCiv would be a last thing to bend over for to come to my mind.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Why would I need to? Name one 64-bit app doing something I need to be done which a 32-bit app cannot do.

There really aren't any right now, apart from some specialized professional software perhaps, but these 64-bit exclusive games will start getting released more and more. Of course, if you don't give a shit about new games it's not really an issue. For me the switch was a no-brainer once I first got 4 GB of RAM - having some of it go to waste for no reason in particular would've been a shame (even if the difference got eaten up by MS's smrt OS bloat :lol:).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom