Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game idea

Arbiter

Scholar
I have been entertaining an idea of building an indie 4X strategy game with a sci-fi settings. Would you be interested in a game like that? If so, what features would you like to see?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
1. Manly man-bro lead characters
2. Big ass cruisers and battleships
3. Possibly deck building. Save you on budget and adds replay... even if it sprinkles on some RN-Jesus
4. No women except as trade commodities
5. Scorched Earth abilities (just in case)
6. Space commies for enemy faction
7. Make water planets the thing everyone fights over. 'Cause when we actually go to conquerin' space, water will be gold. It's heavy, rare, and we need a lot of it.
8. Fun weapon lab options. If you're going sci-fi, use knowledge and science for fun and learning interesting new ways to blow shit up.
9. Don't mix aliens and humans. We've learned this lesson too often in games. Human and alien DNA should never co-mingle.
10. Tesla Coils.

Arbiter

Scholar
I am going think this through over the weekend and if I decide to proceed, I will start prototyping the UI and graphics.

DraQ

Arcane
I have been entertaining an idea of building an indie 4X strategy game with a sci-fi settings. Would you be interested in a game like that? If so, what features would you like to see?
Actual Sci-Fi.
Hard Sci-Fi space game with less advanced tech level than usual (meaning a lot of intrasystem action with orbital mechanics being a thing, single or handful of solar systems only).
Space opera 4x games with vast interstellar empires are dime a dozen.

Arbiter

Scholar
Add Homeworld Space Battles.
Add in whatever 4X features to make it replayable and have an excuse to play endless amounts of Homeworld Space Battles.
Done.

Homeworld battles are real-time, I am planning turn based combat on a hexagonal grid.

DraQ

Arcane
Add in whatever 4X features to make it replayable and have an excuse to play endless amounts of Homeworld Space Battles.
Done.

Homeworld battles are real-time, I am planning turn based combat on a hexagonal grid.
In 3D.

Arbiter

Scholar
Done.

In 3D.

Sure, Heroes 5 has a grid based combat in 3D.

DraQ

Arcane
Done.

In 3D.

In space.

Arbiter

Scholar
Done.

In 3D.

In space.

Sure, it's a top down view, does not matter if units or located on the ground or on the same plane in space. Think of a space platform tileset in Starcraft - units are theoretically in space but they are still projected to a 2D plane.

ChaDargo

Arcane

I'd play it. MoO2 was great as was Alpha Centauri. Also a fan of the Endless games and a huge fan of AI War. With that in mind, I'd really like to see an advanced AI. A lot of times in 4X games, mostly because I have no friends, I get bored because of the AI being shit.

ChaDargo

Arcane

DraQ

Arcane
Well, so far his idea seems to be "I will make a vastly inferior Stellaris/MoO/whatever clone (assuming I actually make anything before quitting)".

Seeking to achieve anything noteworthy with this sort of plan is like trying to take on a spetsnaz platoon as a lone, completely amateur couch potato armed with (non-working) pipe rifle and wearing a clown suit.
Complete with oversized squeaky shoes.

Last edited:

ChaDargo

Arcane
Well, so far his idea seems to be "I will make a vastly inferior Stellaris/MoO/whatever clone (assuming I actually make anything before quitting)".

Seeking to achieve anything noteworthy with this sort of plan is like trying to take on a spetsnaz platoon while being a completely amateur couch potato armed with (non0working) pipe rifle and wearing a clown suit.
Complete with oversized squeaky shoes.

DraQ, you are living up to your past posts as a brutal comedian, but seriously... give the dude a shot. I'm curious what language he's using and what engine. In fact, I would help him if I'm familiar with the coding language. I can also write fiction and do some graphic design. If he's truly just winging it because he got high and thought "bro Imma make a game!" then lol

Arbiter

Scholar
To Arbiter, what language are you coding the game in and what engine?

As I mentioned, I am still entertaining the idea and will need to think this through over the weekend. If I decide to give it a go and do some prototyping, it will be implemented in C++ with open source components (e.g. BGFX for rendering, Flatbuffers for serialization, ZeroMQ for connectivity). Game logic would probably be implemented in a scripting language to allow a high degree of modability (game logic + UI code could be open-sourced, C++ engine would remain proprietary).

I would rather assemble an engine from various open source components than use a complete off the shelf engine due to pricing (most engines offer free plans, but you need to pay a lot to gain access to all features and source code), flexibility (I have some ideas for features that are not implemented in publicly available engines), (un)suitability of engines for strategy games and a questionable quality of some of those engines (I am looking at you, Unity).

3D done right can actually be cheaper than 2D, for example you can implement nice effects with a few lines of code instead of pre-rendering hundreds of frames. Sci-fi setting does not require complex graphical assets, starships or planets can rendered as static meshes without any animations.

I have experience with 3D programming, not games though. A lot of experience with network programming in various languages, including C++.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom