Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game Identification Needed

abcde.png

Anyone know what game this is from? It looks vaguely familiar to me - I don't think I've played it, but I feel like I may have seen the character sprite before somewhere.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Definitely the sixth. End of Isle of the Dead, if you're taking the long path.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Lord Soth, the notorious Death Knight of Takhisis, from Krynn, whom was not interested in the fleshy pleasures of certain general Kitiara, unlike other followers of Takhisis.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Which is why he got her in the end (though not in the games)

Thanks bros! :love: So how is this game? Worth playing? Don't think I've ever seriously played any of the KQ games - a friend of mine had one of the series when I was a kid but we didn't get very far...

Sceptic said:
Which is why he got her in the end (though not in the games)

I looked up the wikipedia page(s) and that doesn't appear to be the case...

Black Cat

Magister
King Quest 6 is the best King Quest, which is no big deal since all the others, other than the seventh, kind of suck. Or maybe the seventh too but it like it anyway. In any case, King Quest 6 is a pretty cool game once you are done with the Kyrandia games and the Quest for Glory games, now possible to play from start to finish with pretty graphics. I would even venture to say it's way, way better than the first Kyrandia game, though the second Kyrandia games kind of takes revenge because of that and totally anihilates it or something.

TripJack

Hedonist
I don't believe it, a game identification I actually recognize. The good old King of the Dead.

KQ6 was actually my very first adventure game. I was pretty young at that time, but I have to agree that KQ6 is fine game and definitely the best in the series. Worth playing.

DriacKin

Arbiter
I found the KQ series to be pretty overrated, imo. I still have no idea how something as average as KQ 7 can be considered a classic by so many adventure game fans.

Coyote

Arcane
Black Cat said:
King Quest 6 is the best King Quest, which is no big deal since all the others, other than the seventh, kind of suck. Or maybe the seventh too but it like it anyway.

I can vouch for this, having just played through several of them for the first (and only) time. The puzzles greatly vary in quality, but are mostly poor. Some are very easy; some are very easy if you know your fairy tales, and otherwise will seem ridiculous and retarded; some are just plain ol' ridiculous and retarded (especially in the fifth game); a few are actually quite good.

There are also a bunch of annoying mechanics that are meant to add to the games but instead detract from them. In several of the games, events vital to your progress are somewhat randomized so that you either have to use a walkthrough to learn that you should walk in and out of a screen until the event triggers, or spend hours wandering around aimlessly in the gameworld in the hopes that you'll stumble across it (and that's assuming you even have some idea that it's there to look for and that you didn't just miss a skippable item or a solution with your existing resources). In the third game, you have to return to one of the starting areas every 25 minutes so that your evil wizard master does not suspect you are sneaking around and using magic, and then wait around doing nothing for five minutes until he leaves or goes to sleep. And don't try to iron-man them: in some of the games, you'll be randomly killed upon entering a screen, despite entering that screen being necessary to advance; there is no way to prevent this, and the only point of it is to necessitate a reload on the part of the player. The endgame of V was particularly rage-inducing, between this and a few other poor design decisions like the monster respawning when you no longer had the necessary item (you used it to take him out the first time!), the randomness involved in the monster and cat appearing, the sucky, pointless maze, etc.

Plus, the story is boring and generic. It's one of the only adventure series where advancing the story is not an incentive for solving the puzzles, because it's so bland and predictable that sitting through it feels like a chore. There's not even any decent humor to make up for the lack of plot.

I haven't played 6, so it could be better. In any case, if you want to play a game of similar gameplay and style (at least for KQV on) but with a much better overall design, try the Quest for Glory games, also from Sierra. They play very much like the KQ games, aside from the addition of some RPG elements, but I had a lot more fun playing them.

KQ 6 is probably the best adventure game made by sierra.

Of course there's gabriel knight games, but KQ6 has the honor of coming first.

If you compare to Lucasarts games, it's the monkey Island 2 of sierra (Gabriel knight being Indy and fate of atlantis).

What is so good about this game? aside from the nostalgia, it's the first sierra adventure that you could finih even if you mised important items or puzzles early on. And it had various solutions to many puzzles, with a best solution that would give your the total of points, or the simple solution, which would make you miss lot's of things, places, contents and even though you would be able to finish.

The end of the game would reflect your acomplishments through the game, making it a kind of replayable.

Jane jensen, from Gabriel Knight series, is one of the directors of this game along with roberta williams.

KQ7 is terrible... hated the Cartoon and side scrolling backgrounds.

I'd recomend the VGA remakes of KQ1 and KQ2. KQ1 VGA is the same game as KQ1 and KQ1 EGA remake, though it has the point'n'click interface.

And KQ2 remake has lot's of new things and is close to KQ6.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Darth Slaughter said:
NO. NO NO NO AND NO.

Best KQ game? Sure. Best Sierra adventure? FUCK NO.

Better than GK1? Are you mad?

List of Sierra games better than KQ6:
- Entire Space Quest series
- Entire Quest for Glory series
- LSL1, 6 and most definitely 7
- GK1
If you count Dynamix games, then add Rise of the Dragon.

Sceptic said:
Darth Slaughter said:
NO. NO NO NO AND NO.

Best KQ game? Sure. Best Sierra adventure? FUCK NO.

Better than GK1? Are you mad?

List of Sierra games better than KQ6:
- Entire Space Quest series
- Entire Quest for Glory series
- LSL1, 6 and most definitely 7
- GK1
If you count Dynamix games, then add Rise of the Dragon.

well... I said that totally based on nostalgia. Quest for glory and gabriel knight are far better, LSL I never really liked, and never played the space quest ones.

The idea of saying it's sierra best adventure was because of the number of things done right. there were not to many dead ends as in all of sierra adventures.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Please excuse the rage-filled previous post.

LSL is a matter of taste in terms of content so I can understand why some people don't like it. LSL 7 though was a great example of excellent adventure game design: lots of very clever puzzles, no way to get in a dead end or die (Sierra finally taking a page out of LucasArts' games)... it still beats KQ6 in terms of things "done right". I'll give KQ6 props for being their first adventure to drop many of the more frustrating dead ends and to still be moderately challenging (in a good way for a change). I really like the game, but that's more because it's so much better than any of the other KQ games, rather than by comparing it to my favorite Sierra games. The multiple paths was a nice touch too and the game is more open-ended than any of the others except maybe GK1 in its first half. There's also a couple of clever things in the design which many people didn't notice, for example if you try to visit the greeks at the top of the cliff you get told to "only come back when you're sure you're ready"... except if you already have everything you need, at which point you get thrown in immediately. It's a great way to make sure you don't run into the dead end.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Unkillable Cat

C'mon, that's totally cute!

More games need cheesy musical like songs while the credits roll, and i would dare to say no game can go wrong with musical like numbers instead of cinematics, just like in the Marl Kingdom games and in King Quest VII.

Just, like, imagine Deus Ex that way! * banned *

@ Sceptic

"LSL is a matter of lack of taste in terms of content so I can understand why some people don't like it."

Fixed it for you. :3

I played through some LSL, like 1, 5, 6 and 7. Well, even magna cum laude. I must confess I played magna cum laude, and I kinda liked its minigames.

But I never felt they were memorable. I hated 5. 6 was funny, 7 was like KQ7: a cartoon, like a don bluth game, and similar to another sierra of that time, thorin's passage. I don't think sierra managed to make good adventures in that cartoon style. They felt less interactive, much like FMV-games, but with cartoons. Though I agree that LSL 7 is very much like a lucasarts game.

Quest for glory is a diferent kind of adventure, that i wouldn't put in the same vein as sierra adventures. It felt like a renegade brother in sierra adventure family.

And gabriel knight was released after KQ6.

The only ones I never played are the space quest series and police quest from 2 and ahead.

But one thing about king's quest series is that it had a gay feeling, sissy, and it was a little too much corny and generic. KQ6 looks like that at first sight, also.

Oh, I never tried, but there's a remake of king's quest 3 in VGA also.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was never a big fan of the King's Quest games. But then again, the first one of them I played was 5, so it's understandable. I found 3 to be the best of them, but I never played far through 6 or 7. There is no such thing as King's Quest 8.

I loved the LSL and Space Quest games for the humour, but between the two series the one that has better gameplay is...LSL, strangely enough. SQ is bursting at the seams with cheesy deaths thrown at you from every corner, and only the last game introduces an "Undo" feature that prevents you from having to restore a previously saved game. But getting killed is part of the SQ experience (mostly for the laughs) so just keep that in mind while playing.

LSL is meant to be tasteless. The most tasteful of them is LSL2, where having sex actually gets you killed. Every single time. The third one is actually quite forgettable, while LSL5 is one of the easiest Sierra adventures out there. The best Larry games are 6 and 7. Magna Cum Laude...is not as bad as people think. There's a cheat out there that gives you a "WIN" button for the minigames, use that and the game becomes quite fun.

Another often overlooked Sierra adventure is Freddy Pharkas. Well worth playing.

ecliptic

Liturgist
QFG > KQ

At least, that's how I felt. Every time I tried a King's Quest game, I'd quickly hit a puzzle-choke point that was far too arbitrary for me to deal with (and walkthroughs just defeat the purpose of adventure games usually), and just shrug, quit, uninstall, and replay QFG1 or 2.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Darth Slaughter said:
I must confess I played magna cum laude, and I kinda liked its minigames.
:rage:

Quest for glory is a diferent kind of adventure, that i wouldn't put in the same vein as sierra adventures. It felt like a renegade brother in sierra adventure family.
It definitely was the renegade brother. Until KQ8 they were the only Sierra adventure games to blend in RPG elements (and did so far better than KQ8 of course). I think it's also the only series that really does flow as a series. Every other one could easily end after each entry whereas each QFG ends with a large number of plot threads unresolved and in some cases outright cliffhangers (QFG3's was a very good and very, very annoying one when you had to wait another 2 years for the next game).

And gabriel knight was released after KQ6.
Yeah, it's like Jenssen channeled all her cute side into KQ6 and got it out of her system so she could get all nasty with GK1. It worked.

The only ones I never played are the space quest series and police quest from 2 and ahead.
I never liked PQ as much as the other series but you should definitely play SQ. They're great fun.

Unkillable Cat said:
But getting killed is part of the SQ experience (mostly for the laughs) so just keep that in mind while playing.
The constant dying in SQ never bothered me, mainly because I was already used to saving very frequently in many spots from playing KQ, and the death scenes in SQ were always played for laughs. Oh yeah, and some were hilarious (SQ1 instant replay anyone?). I remember going out of my way in some of the games to do something really stupid, just to see the resulting death scene.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
The KQ series is nothing special. The Quest for glory games are much better.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Darth Slaughter said:

:rage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom