Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of the year contender 2021

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For the record, I enjoyed DE for the most parts, playing a jerk was good fun. Although the writer suffered a bit from a bad case of verbal diarrhea, and some of the "serious" parts felt cringeworthy to me at times. But the assholery was brilliant, quite in the vein of those typical satirical films and theatrical plays from Easter Block countries from the communist era. Also, I'm really glad I played the pre-voiceover version; even just quickly reading through so much crap was sometimes pushing my patience.

Still, it's an easy linear adventure game with very light puzzles (not much "detectiving" going on; you just exhaust all options in the dialog tree, and that's it, pretty much) and ultralite "RPG elements". It's actually less of an "RPG" than the new Tomb Raider games. Quest for Glory is much more an adventure and an RPG, for instance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wildermyth is cool, also. But yeah, pathfinder wins easily/by a large marge this year.

It's the most inclusive RPG from the list so it wins automatically.
Unless the player intentionally changes something, every character in Wildermyth is cisnormative and heterosexual, and they are also mostly representative of the setting in appearance. That's less inclusive than most, if not all, other CRPGs released in Current Year. :M

I was talking about Pathfinder.

As for Wildermyth, didn't know it at all. Now I checked it out and of course - another mechanically attractive RPG with art style appealing to my 8 yo niece.

ss_d61392e1b74ec8c7a2d0d7515c2dc3f236961808.1920x1080.jpg

Fuck this gay Earth, seriously.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for Wildermyth, didn't know it at all. Now I checked it out and of course - another mechanically attractive RPG with art style appealing to my 8 yo niece.

I don't get it either. Who's even the target audience? Kids are super into tactical combat these days???
The saddest thing is, I'm not even against cartoony art styles if done well. For example, I absolutely loved the Banner Saga and enjoyed Dungeon of Naheulbeuk as well. But this just looks low-effort and hastily put together, lacking any strong sense of character.

apps.48957.63780272993712086.109751f9-82f0-478b-9124-baeb3782a76a.cd7fc916-f238-4aee-b3e7-765bb3df675a

Last edited:

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik

I don't get it either. Who's even the target audience? Kids are super into tactical combat these days???
The saddest thing is, I'm not even against cartoony art styles if done well. For example, I absolutely loved the Banner Saga and enjoyed Dungeon of Naheulbeuk as well. But this just looks low-effort and hastily put together, lacking any strong sense of character.

apps.48957.63780272993712086.109751f9-82f0-478b-9124-baeb3782a76a.cd7fc916-f238-4aee-b3e7-765bb3df675a

Is the banner saga worth playing?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I very much enjoyed it. It's of course on rails and it doesn't have super deep systems, but the world building, atmosphere and pacing is top notch, and it just has this sense of urgency and foreboding danger that's rarely done well in *any* game (strangely, it reminds me of Half-Life 1, where the pacing was also super tight and 100% well done). Anyway, read the codex review for more details, it's quite good.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't get it either. Who's even the target audience?

Those art styles are dirt cheap to make. The audience are people who do not give a fuck about artstyle, as for the same budget you can make your game look like a childrens book or like The Dwarf Run.

I very much enjoyed it. It's of course on rails and it doesn't have super deep systems, but the world building, atmosphere and pacing is top notch, and it just has this sense of urgency and foreboding danger that's rarely done well in *any* game (strangely, it reminds me of Half-Life 1, where the pacing was also super tight and 100% well done). Anyway, read the codex review for more details, it's quite good.

Just beware that the combat is bad, it uses round robbin initiative of the worst magnitude, every team gets the same amount of turns no matter how many combatants it has left, so some fights get MORE dangerous the less enemies are left, because their mean combatants get to move more often. So if only one enemy is left and you have 5 dudes left that guy moves FIVE times per turn.
It is literally the most retarded way to do initiatve, even beating out stuff like DOS by a landslide.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just beware that the combat is bad, it uses round robbin initiative of the worst magnitude, every team gets the same amount of turns no matter how many combatants it has left, so some fights get MORE dangerous the less enemies are left, because their mean combatants get to move more often. So if only one enemy is left and you have 5 dudes left that guy moves FIVE times per turn.
It is literally the most retarded way to do initiatve, even beating out stuff like DOS by a landslide.

It's just a ruleset, man. Like many things, it's subjective, and I enjoyed it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I vote for Baldur's Gate 2 as the game of the year because if it is to vote on Owlcat shit, I prefer to vote on the original version that is better and have no furries.

the only thing you need now is a time machine to make your vote count
I wish I had one so I could travel to 2070 when a new cRPG that isnt just a ripoff of an old one is released.

just put your brain into cryofreeze, I'm sure they can revive it in the future

Ah, the legendary ancestor of our cult, who was put on cryosleep, only to be woken up when a good game got released...

JRkRbSh.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't get it either. Who's even the target audience?

Those art styles are dirt cheap to make. The audience are people who do not give a fuck about artstyle

Wouldn't be that sure. Huge and growing number of people actively seek out Nintendo or nuAnime or other childish art like Wildermyth. A lot of them got to the point they're unwilling - or even unable - to enjoy non-childish cartoony art, let alone realism. It's some sort of degeneration of wealthy modern society or some shit.

And yeah, I love good "cartoony" art too, meaning cartoony art where all the characters do NOT look like 10 yo kids (not to mention all the cringy nuAnime, pedophilia-friendly stuff with big-eyed, big-breasted dolls with short skirts and cat ears). Banner Saga is a good example. I even love wilder, wackier stuff like Darkest Dungeon or Don't Starve.

Gregz

Arcane
On a related note, I think it would be better if the GOTY voting was delayed by a year (e.g. vote at the end 2021 for the 2020 games). Well, or at least delay it by a few months. Most people don't even get a chance to play the games released close to the end of the current year by the time the voting is closed.
I agree with this.
Skip the 2021 GOTY, host the 2021 GOTY next year.

Most importantly, felipepepe can no longer be trusted with official Codex polls, data collection, etc.

Parabalus

Arcane

Yes, well worth a blind run. Play on Hard.

Combat system is different, that irks a lot of people, but it's very good.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wildermyth is cool, also. But yeah, pathfinder wins easily/by a large marge this year.

Unless the player intentionally changes something, every character in Wildermyth is cisnormative and heterosexual, and they are also mostly representative of the setting in appearance. That's less inclusive than most, if not all, other CRPGs released in Current Year. :M

I let my 10 year old play this game and play new Pathfinder game. She decided to continue playing Pathfinder :D

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Looks nice, is it fun to play?

Codex Year of the Donut

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I let my 10 year old play this game and play new Pathfinder game. She decided to continue playing Pathfinder :D
you let your kid play h-games?
that's kinda creepy tbh

it's kinda creepy how you act like the game has any serious sexual content
you mean like a succubus made out of feces that tries to seduce you?

to me, it sounds like you let her, what kind of degenerate are you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom