Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones RPG

Falksi

Arcane
Only at chapter 2 but absolutely loving it so far.

Now I thrived on DA:O and there are definite flaws with it, but it's got a lot of quality elements which make for a good RPG. As someone who very much enjoyed DA:O's combat, I don't get the hate for the combat at all, in fact I really enjoy it. Again, it is flawed, but I thrive on seeing time slowly tick away as you decide what course of action to take, and actually think they've nailed the Warrior class better than DA:O did.

My main gripe is that some of the voice acting is a bit pants, and that - so far - some of the enviroments are a tad empty, with not as many people or things to interact with as I'd like. The main characters are voiced well enough though.

Looking forward to playing more this week. From what I've seen so far I'd definitely say any fans of DA:O should give it a look.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember some voice actors were rather good, and made up for the poor face animations, but others were quite bad. Mors was very fine, but Alister often sucked.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I remember some voice actors were rather good, and made up for the poor face animations, but others were quite bad. Mors was very fine, but Alister often sucked.

Mors' VA takes a while to kick it into gear. It fits because, in my opinion at least, his VA got it right when shit was going down and it just pulled me in all the more for it.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
:necro:

upping this thread because the game is awesome and more people should try it, just ignore the janky look.

You also don't need to be familiar with books or tv-series.

Paul_cz

Arcane
The telltale game is a fucking god awful visual novel like all the dreck they shit out.

This is the RPG:

I agree about the first part of your post, but not the "like all the dreck they shit out". Walking Dead S1 and Borderlands were great. Wolf Among Us was also pretty good.

But yeah this Thrones RPG is awesome.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Playing it now. Completed the Beyond the Wall dlc - poor in content, too focused on combat, but I appreciated some context given to who Mors is. In general I like the setting, enjoyed both the books and the tv series (until around Season 5-6) and I think they managed to capture this atmosphere well.

In the main game I just stopped the riots in chapter 2. The story starts slowly but based on what I read here, I have high hopes for it. Also from the dlc I learned that combat becomes more interesting while you gain levels and amass skills. Around level 8 you can actually have some fun with it.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I played this while they were airing Season 4 of the show, and remembering it now puts it in such stark contrast with the shit direction the show's writing has taken, that the game seems like a masterpiece. Law of unintended consequences :lol:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok, I finished this tonight.

Got one ending for Mors and one for Alester (the two other versions I watched in youtube, didn't have the strength to fight through the heartbreaking final combat two more times).

The gameplay was kind of meh, the production values fairly low (although they got the voice acting and the dramatic direction of the scenes right towards the end - thanks to that the final confrontation brings so much despair).

But the story... oh, it was so fucking good.

Two very well defined, charismatic characters, in which you just had to invest emotionally, which makes the ending even more sad. Two decent villains. The rotten world of Westeros politics, where every decision is costly. And behaving honorably costs the most.

It was a great ride. The story was something GRRM could have written, before he got bogged down with the thousandfold plotlines of a Song of Ice and Fire.

I guess the best ending you can get it
Mors takes the baby and deserts the Nightwatch to care for it.
The one in which
he stays in the Nightswatch is bitter, but still fine, he did his duty, the child is safe, even though he now knows his vow to take the Black made no sense at all. But he still decides to honor it. Kind of in character for good old, honorable Mors

There are no good endings for
Alester. He may either go with honor, accepting his responsibility right away and saving the child by sacrificing himself, or letting Cersei have her way, give her the child, knowing it will die, and later succumb under the weight of his sins.
A pity, because I actually liked this character, despite all his flaws.

Even more of a pity that the game sold not well enough to receive a sequel. I'd love to see what could guys from Cyanide do with more funds. They obviously got the story and the atmosphere right.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ok, I finished this tonight.

Got one ending for Mors and one for Alester (the two other versions I watched in youtube, didn't have the strength to fight through the heartbreaking final combat two more times).

The gameplay was kind of meh, the production values fairly low (although they got the voice acting and the dramatic direction of the scenes right towards the end - thanks to that the final confrontation brings so much despair).

But the story... oh, it was so fucking good.

Two very well defined, charismatic characters, in which you just had to invest emotionally, which makes the ending even more sad. Two decent villains. The rotten world of Westeros politics, where every decision is costly. And behaving honorably costs the most.

It was a great ride. The story was something GRRM could have written, before he got bogged down with the thousandfold plotlines of a Song of Ice and Fire.

I guess the best ending you can get it
Mors takes the baby and deserts the Nightwatch to care for it.
The one in which
he stays in the Nightswatch is bitter, but still fine, he did his duty, the child is safe, even though he now knows his vow to take the Black made no sense at all. But he still decides to honor it. Kind of in character for good old, honorable Mors

There are no good endings for
Alester. He may either go with honor, accepting his responsibility right away and saving the child by sacrificing himself, or letting Cersei have her way, give her the child, knowing it will die, and later succumb under the weight of his sins.
A pity, because I actually liked this character, despite all his flaws.

Even more of a pity that the game sold not well enough to receive a sequel. I'd love to see what could guys from Cyanide do with more funds. They obviously got the story and the atmosphere right.
Outlaws my arse! was the single most impactful line I had read in a long long time. Fuck Alester.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I think Martin did take part in the story concept, though I don't know if he did actually write for the game, or only approved it. Meeting the actual Martin dressed as a maester and talking with him was quite fun.

Modron

Arcane
I didn't care for the 4th wall breaking maester insert. Game was so serious and devoid of easter eggs then bam slap in the face.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Man reading that lord_potato post makes me want to replay it. Really fucking awesome writing/voice acting in this game. Wish Mors with his voice actor was on the show too.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, the voice actor for Mors was good. He sometimes overdid the growl, but it really helped define the Butcher's character. Alester's one was more reserved which also felt in place.

The story is awesome, but I think it would be hard for me to replay the game anytime soon. It just does not provide enough alternative solutions to make it worthwhile. The plot fork which divides Alester's and Mors' endings is pretty far in the game, about 1,5 hour before the ending credits. If you want to see both variants of the endings for each character you only need to fight again the last duel.

Ofcourse, if you completed it back in 2012, than replay might again be fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom