Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game of Thrones RPG

Repressed Homosexual
As I said before the Game of Thrones RPG dub was far superior in French than in English. In French dubs you usually get voice actors with decades of experience who have dubbed all the greatest movies. Since English dubbing is such a low-budget niche in comparison you get far more amateurish people.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Now play of Orcs and Men.

Ok, I decided to give it a try again. I dig up my savegame from beginning of 2018... and I don't know what happened, maybe my experience from GoT helped, but I managed to win the difficult battle against the soldiers of the Inquisition. Now I am soldiering on and soon chapter 3 shall remain behind me.

Of Orcs and Men also has two charismatic, well defined and ultimately, very likeable characters - Orc berserker Arkail and Goblin assassin Styx. It seems like this is the most striking trait of games by Cyanide (strong characters like that are sorely missing from games from Cyaninde partner company, Spiders). I really enjoy watching this duo cooperate, quarrel, shittalk and massacre the puny human opposition.

I will definately complete the game now! Thanks for the suggestion.

vazha

Arcane
When you re done with that, play the first Styx. And when you re done, marvel what could have been had Cyanide aaa budget for these games.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Now play of Orcs and Men.

Ok, I decided to give it a try again. I dig up my savegame from beginning of 2018... and I don't know what happened, maybe my experience from GoT helped, but I managed to win the difficult battle against the soldiers of the Inquisition. Now I am soldiering on and soon chapter 3 shall remain behind me.

Of Orcs and Men also has two charismatic, well defined and ultimately, very likeable characters - Orc berserker Arkail and Goblin assassin Styx. It seems like this is the most striking trait of games by Cyanide (strong characters like that are sorely missing from games from Cyaninde partner company, Spiders). I really enjoy watching this duo cooperate, quarrel, shittalk and massacre the puny human opposition.

I will definately complete the game now! Thanks for the suggestion.

I agree, those just like Mors and Alester were great. Styx also as vazha says. Styx actually has a lot of quite cool themes and the lore hints at much more depth than we got with the sequel which was generic as could be, uninspired and short.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am already asking myself this question after GoT. These guys have brilliant ideas but obviously too limited resources.

Are the other Styx games rpgs, or simply stealth games with limited rp elements?

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
Styx plays like Thief, only with more goblinesque commentary. Also more ways to assassinate people. In short, good character and world building are still present (that vertical castle with dizzying heights, sublime gothic & baroque architecture and a claustrophobic feel all around - I dont remember anything that impressive and atmospheric in Skyrim or Witchers for that matter), while stealth gameplay is surprisingly engaging and fun, and at times quite hard too, if you dont cheese it out.
The second part, as rightly noted above, was a dissappointment.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
When you re done with that, play the first Styx. And when you re done, marvel what could have been had Cyanide aaa budget for these games.

Wow, that was fast.

Yesterday I reached half of chapter 3.

Tonight, in just 3 hours I finished the rest of chapter 3, and later 4 and 5.
Killed the Emperor and then did it again.
Talk about a rushed ending.

They obviously hoped for a sequel, and yet none was created. Which is strange since two prequels starring Styx were created, so obviously the game had to be somewhat popular.

Fink

Novice
So is this any good?
Ngl, kinda reminds of Witcher 2 and that's a plus in my book...

Coincidentally, I started playing GoT the other day for the first time - have been watching the show properly for the first time so felt inspired.

Refunded before the 2 hour mark, I thought it was dogshit. Horrible combat, linear levels, average writing and terrible voice acting. Not sure why people at the codex like it? Classic example of 360-era decline.

Reminded me of Of Orcs and Men rather than Witcher 2. OO&M was entertaining for a few hours, but ultimately is a shit RPG, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom