Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game recommendation for no-frills laptop

Data4

Arcane
I'll be on a plane for 5 hours Sunday and want to put something on the laptop to keep me occupied. Unfortunately, I have to try to stay awake to keep my sleep schedule from getting fucked up, so I figured I could play something. My laptop isn't a gaming rig, so I'm trying to think of something useful that will work on it. Probably from about 2004 back. Something that doesn't HAVE to have a mouse is preferable. I do have the touchpad (PITA), and while I have a little mini travel mouse, I'm not anticipating having a lot of space on the seatback tray for it.

Doesn't matter the genre. Yeah, yeah, this is a RPG subforum, but any suggestion is welcome.

ETA-- The specs, if it matters:

AMD A4-3305M w/ built in Radeon (no idea) @ 1.9GHz, 4 GB RAM, running Win7/64.

Tzaero

DEPARTED
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Infinity engine games should work with no fuss.
Doom RL
Heroes of might and magic III, I keep on the laptop.
Alpha Centauri, though not an RPG, dwells on my USB and you can get it and it's expansion for $3 on gog today.

Data4

Arcane
Thanks. Yeah, like I said, it doesn't matter the genre, as long as it's generally considered to be good and isn't some bloated eyecandy-fest.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Play some Wizardry, Ultima, Might & Magic or Gold Boxes. I would start with Ultima 4 and 5. Now enjoy yourself.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
"The Binding Of Isaac", a simplified roguelike, is keyboard-only. Unless they fucked it up somehow, it should run on a toaster.

Also, you can play ye olde games like Wolf3D and Doom ports with keyboard only.

Aterdux Entertainment

Aterdux Entertainment
Developer
Sorry for self-promotion here, but our Discord Times is just 16mb of download and works on pretty much anything :) With a touchpad it would be a bit tough to play but doable...

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Sorry for self-promotion here, but our Discord Times is just 16mb of download and works on pretty much anything :) With a touchpad it would be a bit tough to play but doable...

But is it also good?

Seriously, never heard about this game. Do we have a test on this?

Discord Times is our first project that we worked on for more than two years. It received some good reviews, for example on cnet, there are several more, for example this one in Russian. Of course, there were not so good reviews and opinions but overall this game found its players audience. And it is still sold on Alawar web site but discussion there is much less than on Russian site of Alawar. Probably mostly to the fact that English translation of this game leaves much better to be desired. Many letters of gratitude from the game fans and also constant requests to make a sequel – all of this led us to start working on our sequel. Possibly, in the future we will make available here several additional scenarios for this game and scenario editor, it depends on some legal issues regarding the rights for this game.

http://aterdux.com/projects/discord-times/

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Basically any pre-2005-ish RPG should run fine on that.

My shit laptop with an intel video card is able to run stuff like "Vampire Bloodlines: Masquerade" and "KOTOR" fine and it has worse specs than yours.

If you just want something to keep you occupied for some hours on a trip, some kind of roguelike or Diablo clone would be better than a big-ass rpg that demands complete attention.

I'd suggest Stone Soup, but if you're already set on Ultima...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom