Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game should slow the fuck down

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
The biggest problem with PoE in comparison to BG saga is the speed. In these games everything took time, enemies walked towards you in reasonable speed, mages had to actually cast spells for a moment or two etc. Here everyone is blitzing everywhere, using dozens of abilities every second and it's generally a clusterfuck. It wasn't a problem when the I had 3 people in the party and fought against 5 wolves, but now I have to pause every few seconds and play battles at slowmo to even know what the heck is going on. Does anyone have the same problem?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Nah. Auto-slomo in combat fixes it as you say. Out of combat I have double speed on because fuck walking all the way across the map without.
What it does need, however, is an option to have the game pause every time one of your dudes casts a spell... and then let you target the just-cast spell at that instant. At the moment, you have to wait for engagements before casting because everyone will have moved out of your AoE otherwise. Yet another reason RTwP is cancer and Turnbased is superior. In BG 1/2 you had a decent selection of long-duration spells and solid single-target abilities that you didn't need to use the (hella unreliable) AoE spells. Not the case here.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Even in slow-mo it sometimes too fast. I wish there was a fucking <<< rewind button.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Set it to autopause on spell cast/target killed?

Better yet, go play some UT '99. Your reflexes have dulled and need sharpening.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I have no such problems while playing online FPS, mostly because there I'm controlling one character not 6 + summons.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Rewind button worked for Prince of Persia sands of time. It's an interesting idea to have a rewind function in an RPG if the rewind was a limited resource. But it would require a vastly different combat system.

Also, autopause is wonky as all fuck. I have it set to pause on spell cast and on enemy death.
When enemies doe, I get 3-4 pauses in a row (one for every character that was attacking the enemy). But not all spells trigger the autopause. Barbarian frenzy triggers pause. Druid wildshape doesn't. Priest channel energy (forget hat it's called) triggers pause. Wizard casting a spell doesn't etc.

Kel

Novice
Edgy
I think if you walked around in Baldur's Gate speed in this game, without a fast walk mode, you'd add at least 10 hours to the game length.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
I prefer the more active combat over BG personally. Hitting space bar every few seconds doesn't seem like that much work for a battle system. Default movement in combat could be a little slower though.

Azeot

Arbiter
I used to have that problem but then I stopped trying to play this like a cRPG. Guns for everbody, send the dog at the door!
guns and arbalests, a tank in front and yeah, everything pretty much dies on its own :lol:

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The biggest problem with PoE in comparison to BG saga is the speed. In these games everything took time, enemies walked towards you in reasonable speed, mages had to actually cast spells for a moment or two etc. Here everyone is blitzing everywhere, using dozens of abilities every second and it's generally a clusterfuck. It wasn't a problem when the I had 3 people in the party and fought against 5 wolves, but now I have to pause every few seconds and play battles at slowmo to even know what the heck is going on. Does anyone have the same problem?
it's what happens when you take quantity over quality. hard difficulty increases the amount of enemies per encounter and supposedly the level of the units. although none of that seems to actually make the game any harder aside from clusterfucking the battle. even playing on hardest difficulty doesn't change the players strategy much, it just makes you pause more often and make sure you don't try to hit targets which are already dead. something the ai should take care of on its own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom