Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Gamedec - cyberpunk detective RPG set in virtual worlds

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by LESS T_T, Aug 8, 2019.

1. toro Arcane

toro
    Not an adventure game? Or!?

^ Top  
  2. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Atlet Savant

Atlet
    Day 1 purchase for me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    For me too, it looks damn interesting, it should be better than Cyberpunk.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. vibehunter Educated

vibehunter
    Damn, I was really wanting another isometric cyberpunk game after Shadowrun. Will definitely be checking this out.

Between this and Encased, it's gonna be a good week.

^ Top  
  8. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/917720/announcements/detail/2957165219753806378

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

:obviously:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. cyborgboy95 Prestigious Gentleman News Cyborg

cyborgboy95
    https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/917720/view/2873849260882594306

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    I dunno... its got style and stuff but it seems abit shalllow... hmmm not sure if i wanna get this.

hope u guys can playtrest it and report back

^ Top  
  13. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    its hard to say because despite all the slickly produced videos i have no idea what the gameplay actually entails. it's like 5 second snippets of gameplay and different subsystem screens.

they way they rolled out the focus features seems more to garner publicity than to actually inform - shocking, i know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Well, the game's demo has been available multiple times during its development.

^ Top  
  15. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    yea the marketing for the game is really weird...

^ Top  
  16. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    Gameplay in a nutshell:

-You investigate cases in virtual worlds.
    -You have lots and lots of choices on how to proceed during your investigations, even going as far as to completely botch them.
    -Botching cases doesn't end the game, it just affects what you encounter further down.
    -How you react to the world during interactions gives you points towards 4 different stats, that can be technically be classified as "Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma" (I'm grossly oversimplifying it, but anyway).
    -You use these points to unlock Skills/Professions which offer unique interactions with the world and unique paths towards completing investigations.
    -You can complete the game even by being a complete idiot who only does retarded things and botches all his cases.

-How you play the game only affects which of the game's 6 different endings are open to you, right at the very last scene of the game (almost like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but choices are actually locked behind things you've done).

Game's rather short, though, compared to the general standard duration of RPGs. You visit 3 different virtual worlds during cases, 2-3 other areas, and 3 locations during the end-game. You can finish the game anywhere from 8 to 16 hours, or a bit more if you read everything in the Codex. But naturally replayability is high.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    it's such a strange choice to have a demo available only in a limited window of time; seems counter-productive to raising awareness. rather, only the most diehard will follow and note it, resulting in a feedback loop rather than growing the pie of interested customers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Jenkem お前はもう死んでいる Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    it's a DE clone

• No x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Atrachasis Augur

Atrachasis
    If you'd rather see some gameplay videos than wait for the prestigious Codex Consent to form, there are some early Let's Plays around, such as this one from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_xQRxPix1g

^ Top  
  20. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    Could you please elaborate? :) We're 100% honest with the community, produced multiple gameplay/mechanics videos, implemented feedback after the kickstarter alpha build and beta for backer's build [two different cases] and made public demo a couple of times during some of the events. It's counter-productive to have a demo from a year-old build available forever.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Atomboy Atom Team Developer

Atomboy
    Says it's unlocking in an hour, so early congratulations on the launch guys! Looks really cool, though to my shame I don't know much about it except for setting. Is there combat?
    Show Spoiler
    Ngl it reminds me of DE a tiny bit, and I remember getting DE and being like sooo, looks cool so far, so where the combat at? When am I gonna shoot people in the face? Ohh... Oh, I won't huh? Never ever ever? Okay...
    Gonna get it today but play much later. Cheers!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    Today is release, only less than hour on Steam.

^ Top  
  23. Hellion Arcane

Hellion
    My 2 cents:

https://ragequit.gr/en/reviews/item/gamedec-pc-review/

PS. PC Gamer gave it a 58% because they found the skill system confusing and because they encountered bugs in the EARLY, INCOMPLETE PREVIEW BUILD. Rock-Paper-Shotgun's review is so-and-so because "the game contains lots of cyberpunk jargon that require knowledge of the core material, so the reviewer didn't understand them".

• Brofist x 11
    • Funny x 5
    • Thanks! x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Sure, the mechanics videos are so brief that you don't get anything from them other than it looks like block-diagrams.

I think this boils down to your limited availability demo.

^ Top  
  25. Wulfric Pinewood Arbiter Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy

Wulfric Pinewood
    It's out , what's your reviews?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.