Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Gamedec Released

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Anshar Studios; Gamedec

This month's next release is Gamedec, the combat-less isometric cyberpunk RPG from Polish developer Anshar Studios where you play a private detective who investigates crimes in MMO-like virtual worlds. It's certainly an unusual premise, which may be why Anshar felt compelled to release a series of brief mechanics onboarding videos over the past week and a half. The game's launch trailer shows how two different gamedec archetypes might choose to approach a case.

Gamedec's review scores are all over the place. The major sites don't seem to entirely get it, while our friend Hellion from Ragequit.gr appears to be a fan. It's probably safe to conclude that the game is interesting but janky, though I suspect that for many Codexers the main issue will be whether they're interested in playing an RPG without combat in the first place.

Gamedec is available on Steam and GOG for $30, with a 10% launch discount until next week. It looks like it's probably going to get overlooked, but at least the developers already have that gangster RPG lined up.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021 at 4:12 AM
    • Brofist x 5
    • decline x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • incline x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • No x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Drowed Arcane

Drowed
    From the descriptions and reviews I've seen, it sounds like a Disco Elysium without the communism, and the internal dialogues are swapped for point'n'click inspirations so you can find the clues and unravel the events. No combat or inventory, and seemingly almost no character progression - but a lot of dialogue. Sounds like less RPG than DE, if that's even possible, but maybe it's "good for what it is".

Codex review when?

• incline incline x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Well, pre-release it was discussed a bit.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    ^ Top  
  4. Jrpgfan Liturgist

Jrpgfan
    An adventure then?

Was it in EA?

^ Top  
  5. Urthor Liturgist Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    58 on PC Gamer

GOTY then?

• Funny x 3
    • :M x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Jrpgfan Liturgist

Jrpgfan
    What's ironic about that is they put a pic with PC gamer "pushing" the game on the store page.

[​IMG]

Then they proceed to give a bad score. Maybe they cut their paycheck?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • decline decline x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    I'll probably pic this up whenever i pick up disco. Haven't even bought cyberdildo 2077 yet.

^ Top  
  8. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Stupid social simulators for dweebs. More like Lamedec.

Also lol at the black chick. Her voice acting does not match her character design at all, or is that just me?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    It does feel way more like choose your own adventure than an RPG. The whole "RPG" system is just 4 different types of points that you gain depending on your actions, and then you can spend on learning "jobs". Those "jobs" then unlock more dialogue choices.

Haven't gotten far yet, becasue the game also feels raw. On the first loading screen tip I got random "r" letter at end of sentences (\r\n?). There's some markup visible in an entry or two of your encyclopedia. Game itself does terrible job at describing mechanics.

On the positive side, the world buliding via codex is decent, few encyclopedic dumps, and lots of info passed through excerpts of media articles or shows.

So far I rate this "meh". It feels even suckier given that it came out shortly after Encased (pretty nice) and Trudograd (very nice).

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Black_Willow Arcane

Black_Willow
    So, people who liked Ago of Decadence should love this!

• Funny x 12
    • Fishy x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Yaar Podshipnik Arcane Patron

Yaar Podshipnik
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Nope. AOD had excellent combat, this, at 3hrs in, has none.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Jrpgfan Liturgist

Jrpgfan
    Not to mention proper RPG systems and character creation.

AoD detractors are pathetic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Making fun of AoD became less funny when actual storybook games claiming to be RPGs started releasing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    It's like those back of the box VHS blurbs from the 90s that said, "A cinematic masterpiece" and then in the actual review it says: "Absolutely awful, a cinematic masterpiece this is not."

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Blackshirt Learned

Blackshirt
    Do you at least do some actual detective work instead of just CYOAing your way towards the story's climax?

^ Top  
  16. ironmask Savant

ironmask
    So when can we finally have a Cyberpunk RPG that's actually good? We haven't had one, since Deus Ex.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Hmmm.... on GOG, I noticed they erased the gamedec demo. Search reveals nothing. I still have the demo in my library. Odd they'd just delete future demo downloads.

well.... here's a complete spoiler then.
    Show Spoiler

So, the Genre is called RPG-hold the combat?
    HTCRPG?

The demo months back

I doubt you need this much of video to even decide.

"Detective" VN with exploration.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    ^ Top  
  18. Monolith Prophet

Monolith
    PC Gamer giving it 58/100 makes it almost worth giving a try.

I'll keep an eye on this.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Shin Arbiter

Shin
    Some of the (Harebrained Schemes) Shadowrun games were actually good. Not "Deus Ex" good perhaps, but judging from what I've seen so far, a lot better than this 'RPG'.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    No-combat aside, why the fuck are all interesting releases packed in a single month of entire year.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    rpgs are made by school kids during summer break. Lessons starts again so its time to squash last bugs and release

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. sigard Learned

sigard
    deterministic system > RNG

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    alternatively september is the most common birth month.
    Are rpgs released in september because devs have good time over xmas and new year eve?
    Or perhaps tapping into paternity leave?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Because AAA games release in october/november for christmas sales and they don't want to compete with big-name titles who have vastly bigger marketing budgets.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.