Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games about artificial intelligence

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
What are some games that investigate the consequences of artificial intelligence?

Games about artificial intelligence in a general sense are okay too.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What are some games that investigate the consequences of artificial intelligence?

You're better served with books (both fiction and non-fiction). Lots of games have AIs as enemies (e.g. System Shock), but I'm not sure I would call that a serious exploration of the consequences of AI

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
837-harlan-ellison-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-dos-front-cover.jpg
902-harlan-ellison-i-have-no-mouth-and-i-must-scream-dos-back-cover.jpg

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream by Cyberdreams, adapted from the short story by Harlan Ellison with his cooperation.

Sjukob

Arcane
I don't know if you're dead set on the consequences of using AI, but if you just want some game about AI, then there's the game literally called:
300px-AIM_Cover.jpg

It's about a world inhabited by AI, no intelligent life forms are present.

And there's a sequel:
370x460_poxl3P_1QLdEX73Vb3hesme0wd58z-LK.jpg

And a spin off racing game:
370x460_ZjB662yMYZqimZxUuqdpAynaRZtRqhAG.jpg

And yet another sequel is in production currently.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
MegaMan Battle Network. More that overly networked everything is an invitation for cyber-terrorism than AI, but AI is a big part of it.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
In these two you are the AI, the consequences are up to you. Both IF.

Skynet Simulator
http://skynetsimulator.com
Name says it all

A Mind Forever Voyaging
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/a-mind-forever-voyaging-59
The player controls PRISM, the world's first sentient computer, in the year 2031. The economy of the United States of North America is failing. Great numbers of youths are turning to "Joybooths" and committing suicide by overstimulation. A new arms race involving nuclear weapons threatens to turn the USNA into a police state.
Dr. Abraham Perelman explains that he has awakened PRISM so a vital mission can be performed: running a simulation of a revitalization plan. The plan calls for "renewed national purpose" through de-regulation of government and industry, military conscription, a unilateral approach to diplomatic relations, trade protectionism, and a return to traditional and fundamental values. While in simulation mode, Perry is able to record experiences in a buffer which will be analyzed to evaluate the success of the plan.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Very famously, the web game Universal Paperclip , designed around the Paperclip Maximizer thought experiment by AI expert Bostrom.

https://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

It even has its own wikipedia page, as anyone interested in AI knows the game :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Paperclips

Holy fucking shit this game is AMAZING.
I am not sure whether it is AMAZING but boy is it addictive. Just mentionning it made me restart a run, which ruined my productivity for the day.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
I am not sure whether it is AMAZING but boy is it addictive. Just mentionning it made me restart a run, which ruined my productivity for the day.

I've started playing the Skynet Simulator game at the same time, and now I'm wondering what's going to destroy Earth first: killbots or the United Paperclip Reclamation Corporation.

ValeVelKal

Arcane

I've started playing the Skynet Simulator game at the same time, and now I'm wondering what's going to destroy Earth first: killbots or the United Paperclip Reclamation Corporation.
I don't want to spoil, but one of those two has more ambition than just the Earth.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Deus Ex Machina, a game where you' guide an AI who goes through all the stages of life...I think. For all the praise it gets, I've never played it and it seems unclear from the description what the player is guiding.
Galatea, more of an art game than a real game. You talk with an animate statue and then an ending happens. Its interesting, with quite a bit of clever stuff thrown in, but its also clear how limited Galatea is early on.
That had a Devo soundtrack?!

Very :obviously:
It was nice...for PC speaker.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom