Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games in the vein of Realms of the Haunting?

Pussycat669

Liturgist
So I've replayed that old 3D-Action/Adventure hybrid from Gremlin Interactive and now I got a newfound appetite for this genre. But I only know System Shock and Robinsons Requiem that fall into the same category. Are there any other worthwhile titles?

Virtz

Educated
Well, Deus (not Ex) pretty much falls into the same category as Robinson's Requirem (it's a sequel), so you might find what you're looking for there if you consider RR worthwhile.

I think Shadowcaster also falls into the category you're talking about.

Longshanks

Augur
Doesn't really have the puzzles of ROTH (though neither do SS and Deus Ex), but Clive Barker's: Undying has a similar atmosphere, story and general gameplay. Along similar lines to Undying is Call of Cthulu. Then there's obviously the Thief series (again, not as Adventure-y as ROTH, but more so than SS). Another game that has action combat, but is not that similar to ROTH is Dark Earth (post-apoc, some non-linearity).

The action-adventure genre is very broad, and there are many games that fit into it (Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark, Prince of Persia, Resident Evil). If you're looking for games that have a strong Adventure or puzzle element as well as FPS combat (as in ROTH), then the scope is narrowed somewhat.

zer

Novice
Pathologic
Penumbra series
Outcast (Infogrames)
Omikron: Nomad Soul

Though last two mainly use not 1-st , but 3- Person mode.

Virtz

Educated
ghostdog said:
Is Robinson's Requiem, or it's sequel Deus , any good?
I think it's best to describe them primarily as disease simulators, secondarily as sci-fi Robinson Crusoe.

They've got detailed health systems, but at the same time this means being accosted by dozens of new strands of diseases a person would get after crashlanding on a foreign planet. So you have to find/make medicines for all sorts of things, purify water, be it by boiling or using your limited number of purification tablets, and tend to your injuries. I think these are the only games where you can perform an amputation on yourself (although doing so without need will result in going into shock and dying from bleeding).

The injuries are pretty realistic, you can have cuts, broken bones, lost limbs or even eyes (if you've only got one eye, you see half of the screen, which doesn't quite make sense in tunnel vision, but what the hey). There's no insta-healing to these injuries, either. Some never heal, so often times it pays more to save/load rather than live with a lost eye or limb unless you're that damn hardcore.

Other than that you'll be fighting some hostiles with limited resources (you can also make your own weapons and traps) and will be trying to find a way off the planet. To my memory, there are some non-hostiles you can talk to in RR, I can't remember anything of the sort in Deus, but they're probably there.

Also, there's an arcade mode toggle, which sort of removes the meat of the games, so I never spent much time with it. I think it just makes more weapons available (lying about), focuses on fighting enemies and gives you a health-bar instead of the normal health system.

Overall, if you don't mind dying a lot or maybe if you're good at medicine, then you might enjoy it for sheer complexity and being a more exciting survival game than most.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks, I may give Deus a try, since it's said to be less frustrating than RR.

Pussycat669

Liturgist
I didn't know that RR got a sequel. I'll check it out as soon as possible. Shadowcaster was more RPGish like Eye of the Beholder, wasn't it? I never got that far and ended up in some mines with no mana and no motivation to play it further. Maybe I should give it a second chance since I liked that shapeshifter thing.
I'm not so sure about Pathologic. There were rumors that the german translation is better than the english one but, after playing the english demo, I'm not so sure if I dare to take the risk.

Longshanks said:
If you're looking for games that have a strong Adventure or puzzle element as well as FPS combat (as in ROTH), then the scope is narrowed somewhat.

Afraid so but this is exactly what I'm looking for. I wish there would be more of 'em out there instead of all those half-hearted FPS/RPG hybrids.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mor said:
http://www.stranded.unrealsoftware.de

I played that one, it's pretty good. I love that concept, and if the guy would add some more RPG mechanics it would be HEAVAN.

I also remember one 2D island survival game which I once played. It was on the CD of a gaming magazine ,but I can't find that CD anymore, and have no idea what that game was called. But as 2D isometric > 3D first person for this kind of game, I'd really like to find it again somehow.

Virtz

Educated
JarlFrank said:
I also remember one 2D island survival game which I once played. It was on the CD of a gaming magazine ,but I can't find that CD anymore, and have no idea what that game was called. But as 2D isometric > 3D first person for this kind of game, I'd really like to find it again somehow.
Might it be Schiffbruch?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Virtz said:
JarlFrank said:
Might it be Schiffbruch?

Yep, that was it. Thanks for the link.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom