Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games like Terra Nova

:Flash:

Arcane
Failing that

• Something similar to Tie Fighter / Wing Commander / Terra Nova in the simulation/campaign departments. I want a decent story campaign that's fun to play, and a nice separate room where I can look at my medals and check my statistics. Something like that. If you played those old games you know what I mean.
Got any ideas, folks?
X-Wing Alliance, if you haven't played it yet. Great campaign, great mission design, and medal room.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Excellent suggestions.

I do wish there were a 2014+ game...

That's perfect, exactly what I had in mind. I loved Tie Fighter back in the day.
Medal room just tingles my synapses. It's like achievements but less lame, you know? Because it's for your eyes only.

Arcane
I hope I'm not promising too much with the Medal Room. It has been so long since I played it. But I do remember that for the first few missions you are on a freighter and the "ship rooms menu" between missions reflects that. Once you join the Rebel Alliance the entire menu is changed, it looks differently and has different rooms, etc.

There is the X-Wing Alliance Ugrade Project for better Graphics:
https://www.xwaupgrade.com/
They have been at it for 20 years now and still posting updates.

There's also one Power Armor game that came to my mind, but it's pretty old and has no room menus: Wrath of Earth

pm_675

Arbiter
  • Something similar to Tie Fighter / Wing Commander / Terra Nova in the simulation/campaign departments. I want a decent story campaign that's fun to play, and a nice separate room where I can look at my medals and check my statistics. Something like that. If you played those old games you know what I mean.
Got any ideas, folks?

Besides the games already recommended, Independence War 1&2. They are about a flying a larger ship, a corvette, rather than a fighter but they are fun and different to play (Pseudo Newtonian mechanic), nice light sim mechanics too. The first has a better story and campaign and the second is more sandboxy. Both of them are fantastic.

The intro for the first game was the shit. I remember putting the first CD to just watch it over and over.

Also, Star Trek: Bridge Commander by Totally Games and Lawrence Holland, the creators of the X-Wing series. Large starships rather fighters also.

Freespace 1 & 2 are fantastic and for me the best space games. But they are also far more "serious", had worse campaign and larping, more focus in combat, battle management, and are more "simulacionist". The key binding page is closer to flight sims than Tie Figher. Tons of mods for the second game from graphics updates, total conversions (Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, etc) to the first game remade in the second engine. Volition made the engine open source too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah I played all of Freespace 2 several times, but it does sort of lack that comfy in-between stuff (like walking around a hangar.) Its presentation out of combat was a little drab, too. But it has extremely good flying mechanics and the missions were fun. It had a pretty well-written story, too, if I remember right.

It's been forever. It's hard to believe I played all those games back in the day, I hardly remember any of it.

pm_675

Arbiter
Yeah I played all of Freespace 2 several times, but it does sort of lack that comfy in-between stuff (like walking around a hangar.) Its presentation out of combat was a little drab, too. But it has extremely good flying mechanics and the missions were fun. It had a pretty well-written story, too, if I remember right.

It's been forever. It's hard to believe I played all those games back in the day, I hardly remember any of it.

Yeah, Last time I played Freespace was nearly ten years ago I-war too. But this thread is making me wish to reinstall them, too bad that they requiere a massive commitment.

And I want to play Heavy Gear too but last time i checked it was a bitch to make it run on modern systems and by modern I mean Windows XP. Is there any way to play them without making computer voodoo?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I didn't look too deeply into it, but this comment from GOG's wishlist might help:

The easiest way to run this game today is to search on YouTube for "PC 586 Pentium Emulator and Windows 98 with Games" and click "Show More" to see the links the poster provided to download a working PCEm copy from Google Drive. You can install Heavy Gear I or II on this PCEm emulator and they run perfectly.

Seems like this would be the least voodoo way?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom