Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games or genres you could never get into

kain30

Cipher
Racing and sports games. They are so boring!

Not a fan of RTS campaigns.

Spend 20 minutes collecting resource > build a big army > rush the enemy base.Do this over and over again,no strategy required.

Skirmishes are okay if the AI is good and if there's a lot of variety and actually strategy,i loved company of heroes skirmirshes against AI.

Not a fan of Racing games too.

I can't play games designed to emulate operant conditioning chambers. That includes

ARPGs like Diablo
MMOs in general
looter-shooters
JRPGs designed around grinding and microtransactions

Also I can't play shooters in the vein of Team Fortress or Overwatch.

Gibson

Learned
The ultimate
participationtrophy.png
thread

:D my thought exactly
asd.jpg

my 0,02:
- when gameplay is being described with "rogue" I just instinctively stop reading and move forward.
- sandbox-y games;
- I play offline single player games, these days multiplayer means b2b on my x360 or a board game (in some rare instances we duke over LAN but that's rare and it's just Unreal tournament with instagib mod :D); online gaming doesn't exist for me, be it MMOs, shooters, whatever. if it requires internet connection it won't be installed on my disk..
- i don't play sports games, but Tiger Woods PGA 13 on x360 with kinect is legit awsome to me for some reason.
- RTS only for campaigns but they don't really make RTS games anymore (at least none that grabbed my attention), play TBS only until I understand "all" the mechanics then I just loose interest. same goes for tactical games. I am however very tempted to go for a wargame and am looking for a good starting game - still doing my research as I've never played one, but just find them appealing atm.
- shooters (literally the only exception is UT as mentioned above and that's rally rare, like really)
- city builders,

to sum it up: i play RPGs and platformers with a spoonful of Zachtronic/other puzzle-y games and a few sprinkles of x360 games :D

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, jrpgs are the worst. I remember enjoying the Midgar part of FF7 then going in the open world and having to fight every 5 seconds some random monsters. Deleted this shit immediately

Same for me. I can find enjoyment in almost any genre - RPG, strategy, simulation, adventure, FPS, platformer, heck even though I don't care about sports at all I could probably have some fun with a football management game, too.

But JRPGs? All the ones I tried were painfully linear, dialogues were all non-interactive cutscenes, there were just way too many cutscenes, encounters are mostly random encounters against generic mobs, there are way too many random encounters, and you have to grind a lot in order to progress.

Worst genre in existence.

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
It used to be Japanese real time "puzzle" games but Twinkle Star Sprites led me to Magical Drop, Money Idol Exchanger and Landmaker.

Can't think of any genre I wasn't into at some point, now.

EDIT: Subgenres appearing after the year 2000 notwithstanding. Like Battle Royale, MOBA, online TCGs etc.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Games with clickfest combat. Diablo and Elder Scrolls come to mind.
Turn based crpgs. Sorry but the Japanese do it better.
Grand strategy. I don't have time to watch an 8 hour tutorial on youtube to figure out your game nor do I want to. Even if I can help Japan invade Canada so I can have a bunch of hapa waifus to the north of me.
Real time strategy games. I guess I'm not Korean enough. Z was ok though.
Wizlike games
Lootwhore games like Borderlands and Hellgate London
Any Final Fantasy made after X

Last edited:

Data4

Arcane
Grand Strategy, like Civ, etc. Include the Total War games as well. As hyped as they were in their day, I thought I'd see what the deal was once I learned how to play, but they never grabbed me.
Sports games. Not interested IRL, not interested on PC.
Looter shooters
Anything mobile except shallow timewasters, but even those are for when I find myself stuck out somewhere waiting on something and need to pass the time.
Pretty much any stick-a-meethook-in-your-nose-and-drag-you-down-a-corridor modern FPS.
FFA PvP MMORPGs or survival games like Ark
Visual novels
Anything of any genre that tries to preach (CURRENT YEAR) politics at me. Sometimes these don't make themselves known until a few hours in, but once I detect the stink, I stop playing.

Reality

Learned
  • Diablo- I haven't liked any, but I think it's a genre that could work if taken apart - the elite enemy system is good and one of the only non-repetitive things and I imagine if I dived long enough I'd find the one hidden gem in this Genre.
  • Borderlands - A Diablo derivative that ramped up the bad aspects of Diablo and then founded it's own sub-sub-genre of FPS-RPG looters
  • Cover based shooter -
  • Sim Racing game - Car-tuning and managing Tire Wear shouldn't be more important to a game than actually driving.
  • Puzzle Platformer - I like full puzzle games, but these hurt me for reasons similiar to zelda's "items as glorified keys" puzzles.
  • Trading Game - This is what I think people mean by "Space Game" - Because of the influence of Freelancer, most modern AAA space games have to have stupid "space trucker" syndrome. I hate that actual "Dogfighting" and "mission based" space games are hard to find.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
>strategy games - 2autistic4me
>simulators - I get the appeal if you're an enthusiast, but IMO games work best when they're either an abstraction or exageration of reality
>survival games - the only exception would be subnautica, also I am not against survival mechanics in other genres like RPG's but games that just focus on that particular activity simply suck
>sports games - why play fifa/pes when I can send a few messages and get enough mates at my local ring to play ball
>story driven "games"
>MMORPGs
>MOBAs

If I play action games ... the setting better interest me

That's like playing Doom for the story... Action games revolve around the mechanical part and nothing else.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If I play action games ... the setting better interest me

That's like playing Doom for the story... Action games are revolve around the mechanical part and nothing else.

I would play Doom for the setting tbh, I really like its hellish imagery. Something like Devil May Cry looks somewhat interesting but whenever I see gameplay videos it looks way too fast paced, nothing has weight.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I would play Doom for the setting tbh, I really like its hellish imagery. Something like Devil May Cry looks somewhat interesting but whenever I see gameplay videos it looks way too fast paced, nothing has weight.

I'm very cold on video game cutscenes, but I love their storytelling in the sense of immersive design, world-building and interactive dialog. Obviously Doom isn't a place for the latter, but the first two certain apply. Games aren't as simple as saying "story vs. no story."

Generic-Giant-Spider

Battle royale games are pretty gay and while the concept is really cool they're mostly janky and clunky shit games that live because #sponsored-streamer.

Survival scavengers is another type of genre I will not ever like. Maybe I'm biased because it's a big waste of the Conan IP. Yeah that's what you want to do when you play a Conan game, run around naked like a retard to clink rocks and fight pigs in a flat, dead space world.

Harvesting/farming/cultivating like who gives a shit go buy a plant or something lmao

CoD style FPS because it killed the superior Doom/Quake/UT FPS games.

Team based FPS because it also would have killed the superior Doom/Quake/UT FPS games.

Pet raising/collecting but I will admit that Monster Rancher game for the PS1 was kind of cool with how every CD you had would give you a specific monster.

MOBA is the worst genre to ever be hatched. I don't even think MOBA fans like MOBAs.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Hmm my tastes have evolved since I started serious PC gaming. Genres I don't like to play anymore:

• RTS akin to Starcraft 2. Seriously I don't have the teen autistic mindset to play MP and the campaigns tend to be boring as hell nowadays. I will still play RTS like the Wargame franchise.
  • Adventure games without puzzles, I just don't see the point anymore.
  • DOTA2 because the game keeps being patched every week.
  • Civilian Aircraft Flight Sims.
  • Train Sims.
  • Stealth Games.
  • FPS in MP.
  • Most blobbers but I have done a few exceptions.
  • Platformers.
  • JRPGs, I agree too much high school drama, with exceptions ofc.
  • 4X games, getting more and more picky, too much recycled shit and no interesting innovations.
  • Space Sims. Ever since I played ELITE I got super bored by the grind. Although X franchise is still close to my heart.
  • Generic Sandbox games.
  • EDIT: Roguelikes or rougelikes, IDK it seems there a lot of "fake" rogues like games out there, especially the ASCII graphics (my eyes BLEED)

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Sports and racing games unless they are very arcadey, even then it's mostly for multiplayer.

Fighting games, don't hate them exactly, just never really felt like putting a lot of time learning combos and really mastering a game or character, i get why some people love them, but it just isn't for me.

Trading card games or pratically any game where you have hundreds of cards to make a deck and you end up quickly having a shit ton of cards, mostly because i end up feeling strangely anxious that the deck i made sucks or that i forgot a good card because i likely couldn't remember every single damn card or predict everything, good lord the number of options in trading card games just make me not want to play them, sure, i could just copy decks online but that also feels boring and kinda cheaty and feel it would be more interesting to do my own deck...but then i get into the problem i mentioned so any TCG i tried it was for like 5 or 10 minutes.

Flight simulators or most simulators that revolve around just driving a vehicle and trying to be realistic, train simulators and others thus also fall into this, maybe it's because i just don't have a huge interest in any kind of vehicle and thus couldn't name many planes but man, flight sims are boring to me, not relaxing or anything, just boring and a genre i can quite easily ignore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom