Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games similar to Darksiders 1?

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Hi all,
I've enjoyed the first Darksiders a lot back in the day and my recent replay of the Warmastered Edition was also a lot of fun. Are there any similar games out there? I've read a lot of times that the game is similar to Zelda, but I cannot confirm this as I've never played a Zelda game. Sadly, the series has moved away from this style, so the newer titles are out.

Wunderbar

Arcane
What did you like the most about the game, combat or exploration? If it was exploration, then you should try 3D Zelda titles.

deama

Prophet
soul reaver games, but you should start off with blood omen as all the games are related to each other story-wise, and the story is pretty good; and besides, blood omen is kinda like a top down version of soul reaver.
Chronological list is:
blood omen 1 ---- soul reaver ---- soul reaver 2 ---- defiance
Ignore blood omen 2.

Maybe prince of persia warrior within, though you might want to start with the 1st one, though 1st one is more linear.

There's Psychonauts, though it's more PG rated.

Best bet is zelda though, start with breath of the wild if you don't wanna play any of these older games. The story in zelda kinda gets recycled almost everytime, so it doesn't really matter which one you start off with.

Last edited:

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
More modern with Arkhamcreed combat : Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War

Much older and focused on clunky but interesting combat: Die by The Sword and Limb From Limb expansion

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
What did you like the most about the game, combat or exploration? If it was exploration, then you should try 3D Zelda titles.
I liked the exploration and the puzzles more than the combat. Interestingly, I didn't like God of War as it was just terribly dull.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Zlaja

Arcane
Sadly, the series has moved away from this style, so the newer titles are out

I didn't really care for Darksiders 2, but Darksiders 3 is a pretty good and underrated game. Sure, it's different then D1, but it's a quality action game that does a decent job in challenging the player.

Citizen

Soul Reaver, American McGee's Alice, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Soul Reaver, American McGee's Alice, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
AMG's Alice looks really good from reviews. But its not available anywhere, AFAIK. Madness returns is still on Origin but I've read that the first one is better. Also, I don't think its up to both of the Alice games' level but AMG's Grimm is still available to buy on GOG and vaguely looks like a 3rd person Zelda, with stylized fairy-taleish graphics.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
AMG's Alice looks really good from reviews. But its not available anywhere, AFAIK. Madness returns is still on Origin but I've read that the first one is better. Also, I don't think its up to both of the Alice games' level but AMG's Grimm is still available to buy on GOG and vaguely looks like a 3rd person Zelda, with stylized fairy-taleish graphics.
Madness Returns comes with the first game you can access from the main menu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom