Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that make you feel lonely

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
For some reason, I really like games that make me feel forlorn and alone.

Guardian Legend is a good example of this

It's enough for me to drive the whole game forward really.

Other good examples are Super Metroid and Breath of the Wild. The latter quite surprisingly given that that it features NPCs.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Ravenloft games maybe? Haven't played em myself but you get thrown to this far away, desolate, dark and misty realm that you must escape.

Penumbra, you explore a mysterious complex in the middle of nowhere in greenland, dodging monsters and shit.

Stalker games in a way, once you venture outside the camps and settlements there's a desolate radioactive wasteland to explore (well, minus the bandits and monsters).

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Resident Evil Remake
Amnesia
Alien Isolation
Demon Souls
Dark Souls 1/2
System Shock 1
Super Metroid
Stalker
Arx Fatallis (only in the areas where there are no NPC's)
Subnautica

I'm appaled that Thief wasn't mentioned first.

Heh. Hard to feel lonely when the game it's about avoiding people and social contact.

DraQ

Arcane
System Shocks (esp. 2)
Unreal 1
Another World
STALKER: ShoC (whenever venturing out of into unexplored parts of the zone or into labs)
Azrael's Tear
Penumbra
Amnesia
Diablo 1
Hexen II (for some reason feels more desolate than 1)
Ori and The Blind Forest (even talky Sein just emphasizes that)

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
I hear Alien: Isolation has that feeling.

Zelda 1 didn't feel lonely to me, but it was inspiration for breath of the wild, which somebody said feels lonely.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Fallout 3.

It's a double whammy. The art department does a great job at creating a desolate and lonely world, and the writers do such a terrible job with the story and NPCs that the game feels devoid of human presence.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
System Shock, Alien Isolation, etc, I guess, but I don't really feel lonely because I always think about the endgame of getting off the ship.

But I have friends who can't play single player games anymore. Since playing an MMO in about 1999, they said anything that isn't an MMO feels pointless and lonely. There is no long term goal or objective in single player games, there is nobody to talk to, join groups with or whatever. It just feels solitary and pointless. I felt it too when I first went back to single player games, but I soon got over it when I enjoyed all the gameplay I was missing out on. I gladly go without MMOs for a game like TOEE, Stalker, Portal, Blackguards, etc. In the years I played nothing but MMOs, I missed out on a lot of good games I had to later catch up on.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Realms of Arkania HD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom