Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that were better and/or exclusive on the Amiga.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm still in the process of collecting decent RPG's/strategies/sims from ancient times, and was wondering about recommendations for games that were better or looked better or only available on the Amiga as opposed to the PC.

It seems that after 1992 quality was the same or better on the PC but I'm not sure if it was the same for all titles, but before then I guess that the Amiga had a considerable edge, particularly the further back to the mid 80's we go.

What titles do you guys recommend?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shadow of the Beast 2 and 3. Beast 2 was ported to a thousand different consoles, but the best version was on the Amiga. Beast 3 was Amiga exclusive. Hard as fuck games if you don't use a guide, great atmosphere due to the unique and odd art style and great soundtracks.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Eye Of The Beholder - the re-release version on the Amiga had an outro. The PC version does not. The Amiga version possibly has better music. The same might apply with EOB2 on the Amiga.

Legend of Faerghail - PC version was EGA (16 colours) and had either no sound or bleeper only, while the Amiga had 32 colours. Dunno about the sound.

Captive - Amiga version was coded correctly, PC version was a craptastic port that screwed up the XP rewards, making the game unplayably hard.

Damocles a.k.a Mercenary II - Only available on the Amiga and Atari ST. Your goal is to save a planet from being hit by the Damocles comet. At least 4 possible endings in the huge open gameworld.

Zombi - "Dawn of The Dead: The Video Game." PC version was bleeper only and CGA graphics. Amiga and Atari ST had 32 colours and propably better sound.

Various Gold Box games - PC was limited to EGA until early 1991, so any Gold Box game released before then should have better graphics on the Amiga. Highly propable they have better sound as well.

If you want, I can dig up my old gaming mags to find more recommendations.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Thanks guys.

Unkillable Cat, I'd appreciate it very much if you could dig up some other things if possible. Take your time though, it's not like I need to know right this second.

mondblut

Arcane
Notable Amiga exclusives:

Ambermoon, a classy Amberstar sequel and spiritual precursor to Albion.

Fate: Gates of Dawn, the hugest and most massive Wizardry/BT/MM1-2 type game ever. A mind can't even begin to fathom its vastness.

Perihelion - see an LP somewhere around these parts. Seems to be postapoc with goldbox-style gameplay.

Hero Quest 2 - if you are sucker for the original one (that Warhammer FB-related tabletop dungeon crawl conversion), Legacy of Sorasil has 8 classes instead of 4, and looks pretty nice.

Notable superior versions:

Pool of Radiance looks miles above the PC version. The rest of GB games have less startling difference, but still look a bit better (pre-91).

Dragon Wars also looks vastly superior to PC.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO PHANTASIE ONE AND THREE ARE VERY OLDSCHOOL AND FOR THREE I KNOW THE AMIGA VERSION IS THE BEST BY FAR

zeitgeist

Magister
mondblut said:
Perihelion - see an LP somewhere around these parts. Seems to be postapoc with goldbox-style gameplay.

I would recommend this even for the visual style alone. Unfortunately, IIRC most of the actual character sprites are static (don't have walking animations and such), but the game still looks amazing.

Here's the artist's/lead designer's website, you can download the entire game + emulator + soundtrack from there, as well as see some screenshots and other game-related artwork. And of course, a quick glance at the rest of his site reveals that, in order not to disturb the natural order of things, he ended up working on such gems as Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom... Oh well, at least it's not cell phone games this time.

And here's the manual.

Legend of Faerghail - PC version was EGA (16 colours) and had either no sound or bleeper only, while the Amiga had 32 colours. Dunno about the sound.

Much better sound on Amiga.

BRO PHANTASIE ONE AND THREE ARE VERY OLDSCHOOL AND FOR THREE I KNOW THE AMIGA VERSION IS THE BEST BY FAR

Never played this on the Amiga, only on C64. More than just graphics? I still remember playing Ultima 5 on the Amiga later on and much preferring the C64 version, even though Amiga had slightly better graphics. One tune for the Amiga version...

Fate: Gates of Dawn, the hugest and most massive Wizardry/BT/MM1-2 type game ever. A mind can't even begin to fathom its vastness.

Damn. Someone beat me to my ultimate Amiga punchline. Easily one of my favourite Amiga CRPG's, and in my top 20 CRPG's list.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Hired Guns, it's a bit like a hybrid between Space Hulk and Eye of the Beholder.

Ah yes, may I also mention Knightmare. I found it to be one of the better real time, fighting, puzzler CRPG's (from the Dungeon Master line).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/knightmare__

Haha, old Euro CRPG's....

Fate_-_Gates_of_Dawn_1.png

130432Nymph.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
Ah if only fate had automap, its just too huge to play without that feature.
Now the other amiga rpg exclusive or superior to pc version : Black crypt
black_crypt_02.jpg

the best looking dungeon master clone.

Abandonned places 1-2.
abandoned_places_2_02.jpg

Crystal dragon:
crystal_dragon_02.jpg

Sword of twilight:
swords_of_twilight_03.png

Battlemaster:

battle_master_03.png

captive:
captive_06.png

Mortmal said:
Ah if only fate had automap, its just too huge to play without that feature.
Now the other amiga rpg exclusive or superior to pc version : Black crypt
black_crypt_02.jpg

the best looking dungeon master clone.

Abandonned places 1-2.
abandoned_places_2_02.jpg

Crystal dragon:
crystal_dragon_02.jpg

Sword of twilight:
swords_of_twilight_03.png

Battlemaster:

battle_master_03.png

captive:
captive_06.png

Alas, Lemon Amiga pics never seem to work. You will have to google image them or find an alternate source.

As for an automap for Fate; it would have made things easier, but I didn't really need it. The dungeons are not exactly huge. The only thing that might make it difficult are the secret door locations, and since I played the game by itself, with no swapping to other games, etc, I always remembered where they were.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
More I could find:

Bloodwych: PC version is pretty good, but was plagued by bugs (including one gamestopping one) and it lacks the expansion pack. The PC version has music, but no SFX. Or could only play one or the other.

Turrican: No PC version available. 'nuff said. The sequel was released on PC in 1995 (?) but I have no idea how it plays. Turrican 3 is Amiga exclusive.

Xenon 2: IIRC, the PC version has no music, and therefore SUCKS GIGANTIC HAIRY BALLS.

Captive 2: Amiga CD32-exclusive title. I've no idea if it's any good.

Flood: Amiga and Atari ST-exclusive platformer. Scored high marks back when it was new, and I've heard it has one of the most anticlimatic game endings ever.

commie said:
Blackadder said:
Ah yes, may I also mention Knightmare. I found it to be one of the better real time, fighting, puzzler CRPG's (from the Dungeon Master line).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/knightmare__

Haha, old Euro CRPG's....

Fate_-_Gates_of_Dawn_1.png

130432Nymph.jpg

So tits were a part of the RPG experience from a time BEFORE Bioware?

Indeed. They have existed since the dawn of CRPG's.

Oh, another couple of suggestions for you:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/laser-squad

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sword-of-aragon

http://www.mobygames.com/game/lords-of-chaos

All of these are best on Amiga, though other versions are not bad.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Man Sword of Aragon! I still have my 5 1/4's with the PC version. Never knew there was an Amiga version. It certainly looks better though. Now THIS is a game in dire need of a remake. I really liked the small scale city states and the real need for supply, not to mention the exploration and risk versus reward of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Blackadder said:
Oh, another couple of suggestions for you:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/laser-squad

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sword-of-aragon

http://www.mobygames.com/game/lords-of-chaos

All of these are best on Amiga, though other versions are not bad.

Lords of Chaos was never released on the PC, so that's a definite win. The Laser Squad port on the PC feels... different, somehow. But then again, I compare it to the 8-bit versions of Laser Squad.

One other thing I just remembered, though it's a little off-topic: There's a guy who's remade EOB1 and EOB2 on the Amiga with some extra features, like an in-built automap. (There's also a guy trying to port EOB1 to the Commodore 64 that's made some interesting progress.)

(There's also a guy trying to port EOB1 to the Commodore 64 that's made some interesting progress.)

Hasn't that turned into a C128 conversion? I played many of the mentioned games on C64 as well, but since the thread is about Amiga games...

commie said:
Man Sword of Aragon! I still have my 5 1/4's with the PC version. Never knew there was an Amiga version. It certainly looks better though. Now THIS is a game in dire need of a remake. I really liked the small scale city states and the real need for supply, not to mention the exploration and risk versus reward of it.

Also the 'date' system where certain things happened regardless of what you were up to. It payed to keep an eye on events.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Anyone know which version of EOB has the animated ending? Unkillable Cat mentioned a 're-release' in another thread, but is that just the Amiga version or for the PC trilogy from 1995?

Alex

Arcane
Just wanted to thank all of you people collaborating to the thread. I installed WinUAE recently with the AmiKit, and I am using WHDLoad to play old games. So, all these suggestions are very much welcome!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
commie said:
Anyone know which version of EOB has the animated ending? Unkillable Cat mentioned a 're-release' in another thread, but is that just the Amiga version or for the PC trilogy from 1995?

The KIXX re-release (re-release on budget label) for the Amiga is the only version I know of that has the outro.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom