Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Games that you have some hopes for- 2020 edition

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
New year is coming and with it opportunities to be hyped and then disappointed by new set of upcoming games!

Before I'm going to list projects that I'm most interested in, I'm going to write something about games that looked interesting for me year ago.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/so-what-games-to-look-forward-for-in-2019.125404/
End State -unfortunately project seems dead.
Phantom Brigade -Not yet released, going to be Epic exclusive first and I'm not that exited about them going with simultaneous turn system.
Phoenix Point -Epic exclusive, I'm going to check it out when it comes to GOG with DLCs.
The Feud -like End State project seems dead.
Fae Tactics -unreleased
Pathway -too simple game for its own good, didn't held my long term interest.
Fell Seal -This one is solid tactical game, though I don't know how it does compare with FF: Tactics or Tactics Ogre from which Fell Seal draws its inspiration.
Streets of Rogue -turned out to be good top down rogue-lite, where you can take many different approaches to solving problems
Nowhere Prophet -didn't buy this because it looks too similar to Slay the Spire of which I got kind of sick of.
Dark Future -nice distraction for a few hours, but that's it
Stygian -bought it, but decided to wait for patches
Copper Dreams -unreleased

Estonia managed to surprise me with couple good games; Disco Elysium something that probably everyone on Codex has an opinion or 3 and Shortest Trip to Earth turned out to be good evolution of FTL (pity that there isn't more variety with combat encounters, there come a point where all those are seen).

There were probably more new games that I somewhat enjoyed, but coming grim darkness of 2020's is point of this thread.

Here's stuff that I'm exited about for 2020:

1.Ostranauts -"Sims in cold space coffin" spaceship management game from developer of Neo Scavenger. Early access should come sometime during spring
2.Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail -Ultimate General developers attempt to go 18th century warfare. I'm not biggest fan how UG: Civil War handled scenarios, but still looking forward to this
3.Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen -'dex drama aside I liked what I saw during kickstarter.
4.Colony Ship
5.Wasteland 3 -I actually liked 2nd one and consider it easily the best InXile game.
6.Xenonauts 2
7. Archaelund
8.Stoneshard
9.Skald: Against the Black Priory
10.Solasta: Crown of the Magister

Also I'm still hoping that unreleased projects from my previous lists manage to come through.

Last edited:
none.
i stopped having hopes for games long ago. i stopped looking for informations about games almost cold turkey, this way every new game is a surprise, and maybe at least one every other decade is going to be a pleasant one.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Colony Ship
Wasteland 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Bloodlines 2
Encased
Beautiful Desolation
Resident Evil 3 REMAKE
Pheonix Point

And thats just the tip of the iceberg.

PLENTY of gud shit to be hyped for in 2020

sser

Arcane
Developer
Stoneshard
Xenonauts 2
Phantom Brigade
Immortal Realms: Vampire Wars
Starship Troopers - Terran Command
Gears Tactics
The Hand of Merlin
Rune II
Desperados III
Unexplored 2

Reinhardt

Arcane
Atelier Dusk. I already know they are gud so it's only matter of not failing the port.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Cyberpunk 2077
Elden Ring
Dying Light 2
Encased
Beautiful Desolation

Last edited:

Vlajdermen

Arcane
19080848536l.jpg

Puukko

Arcane
I'm not looking forward to anything at the moment. That's not to say I'm a pessimist, just that I'm so fixated on older games for the time being that new games coming out don't really concern me. My interest in CP2077 has waned into almost nothing.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Pretty sure Colony Ship will take another couple years.

For next year, Ostranauts sounds interesting. Black Geyser might be a decent Pillars clone. Maybe also something like Realms Beyond or Solasta. Wasteland 3 is kinda meh for me.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Colony Ship
Realms Beyond
Stoneshard
Encased
Beautiful Desolation

I don't actually know how many of these will come out in 2020, but if even 2 of them come out and are good, I'll be happy. Note that none of them feature any first or third person faggotry either.

Zibniyat

Arcane
PLENTY of gud shit to be hyped for in 2020

Plenty of POTENTIALLY good games. Don't be like those games """journalists""" who like to make Youtube videos about "best upcoming games", even though it is not logically possible to know the quality beforhand, and they do that for clicks only. "Most promising new games", complete with mentioning why they are as such, is much more honest and grounded in reality.

Zibniyat

Arcane
Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

And any othet pretty looking platformer that comes along.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Some of this stuff might slip to 2021 or beyond but fuck it:
- Yeah I know remakes right, but Jeff Vogels Geneforge remake, I did like the new avernums and geneforge is Vogels best series.
- Always liked open world parkour exploring, so Dying Light 2, the first one was fun to roam but the story was ass, hopefully with Avellone on board that gets taken care of.
- Colony Ship of course
- Monomyth looks really cool so far, though it still seems to be in a relatively early stage, hopefully it won't become vaporware.
- Resident Evil 3 remake, the second one was ok even though it wasn't like the old one, still, I expect the third one to continue in the same vein.
- Beautiful Desolation, Pyke is a bro so I gotta buy this.
- Call of Saregnar, I'm a huge krondor fan so this looks good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom