Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Games where it's not easy being good

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Zombra, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Beastro Arcane

Beastro
    The thing is it's not just save scumming. You play evil the first time around and unlock it, it remains open for all subsequent playthroughs. The choice reward/loss is irrelevant afterwards meaning you can go in replaying good and choose Blood Mage as your specialization as soon as you can.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Mexi Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Mexi
    Forgot about Blood Mage too, which is also a fun ass specialization. It's an "evil" specialization, IIRC.

^ Top  
  3. ItsChon Resident Zoomer Patron

ItsChon
    One quest does not mean the quest makes it difficult to be virtuous. Just because you missed out on a reward or two here or there doesn't really mean shit. Pathologic is one of the few games named that actually fits the bill, and I can't think of any others off the top of my head.

This is something I really wish games would give a better go at, as I think it could add a lot of interesting dynamics to the story, especially if there is some meaingful C&C invovled regarding an organization you wish to join or a companion you wish to recruit.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Blood magic is depicted as pretty much instantly evil in Dragon Age's world, I believe. In DA2 the normal nice guy mage leader instantly turns into an evil monster when he uses it. Tons of random enemies use it and are shown to be evil and corrupted. I kind of see it like the "dark side" in Star Wars. Maybe there's a few morally grey characters who use it I'm forgetting (only played the sequels once) but I'd still say in that world the mere use of it is an "evil" choice. Though gameplay mechanics wise, I guess it means nothing the second go.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    In Mount & Blade Warband it's easier to get rich fast if you raid innocent villages.
    You will lose "honour"/"reputation" (or whatever equivalent depending on your mod) and will have issues dealing with lords etc of course

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    I don't see how. Easier to just take on mobs, take prisoners, and progressively up-tier combat units.

^ Top  
  7. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    Raiding a village can net you around 6-7k fast and especially in early game that's a lot of money.
    Another sneaky way to get a lot of money is of course to accept a lord's request to gather taxes and then simply not give him his moneys. He will get pissed off naturally but again, 5-6k while doing basically nothing
    Taking prisoners etc takes time and what you get for lower tier troops is quite... low. Like 15-20 moneythings per shitty troop.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    Fable 3 kinda had that approach where you were supposed to cut corners or betray people once you become the king. The only problem is that you could buy up a bunch of buildings, larp as a slumlord and break the game's economy.
    Ultima 7, I mean the Armageddon spell is just there, begging to be cast. Also, Chuckles, that loathsome creature.
    Thief 3 has that mission in the dead pirate captain's home, where on expert difficulty you have to take the secret stash he left for his widow.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rohand Arbiter

rohand
    The Jedi Knight / Jedi Academy games - you get a lot of powerful force powers from the dark side (maybe other star wars games do it too)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    ELEX

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Any multiplayer game you can play locally and has overpowered weapons, characters or abilities, i could just continue not being Oddjob in Goldeneye, but Harry is being a prick after winning 5 times in a row...well, my friend would get really mad if i stole his star in Mario Party, but he also came in last time we got together so screw it and so forth.

When you're losing or the person next to you is annoying you or has annoyed you, you sometimes just feel like cheating or pulling out everything you can just to spite them off.

^ Top  
  12. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    Manhunt.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    It's somewhat annoying being 'good' in Divinity Original Sins series.
    Skill books and gears are kinda expensive at the start so having no option to steal from or murder innocents to get them is going to make things difficult.
    The higher-level skill books will also grow more expensive, thereby slowing your advancement even further.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Gerrard Arcane

Gerrard
    But that's wrong, you fucking retard.
    It gave you like 15 points less than if you killed them, which is fucking nothing.
    :troll:

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Resisting temptation is simply an elevated form of gameplay challenge unique to the H genre.

^ Top  
  16. mastroego Arcane

mastroego
    I'd say Skyrim qualifies.

^ Top  
  17. Steamboat Willie Savant

Steamboat Willie
    The Asshole/Renegade options in the Mass Effect trilogy are hard to avoid, since the game is so much more entertaining when you choose them.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • nice nice x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    You're mistaking "not easy being good" with "not good"

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    KOTOR 2? You get much stronger jedi powers if you go dark side, though that may be a bad thing since an already easy game becomes piss-easy.

On the other hand combat in kotor is mostly crap, so getting over it fast may actually be better.

hmmm...

:philosoraptor:

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    This could be a thread in itself, but don't a ton of RPGs normalize theft to the point that you do it even with a goody-two-shoes character? I would guess most players, even if role-playing a Paladin or whatever, take shit from people's chests and basements and whatnot as loot to use/sell. I feel like it's simple reflex at this point.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. FEDSMOKER herksmoker fedfucker Patron

FEDSMOKER
    ^ Top  
  22. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    You can use dark side powers just fine as a light side user. The penalties are negligible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Nano Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Nano
    I dunno, I thought the Dark Side powers were using way too much mana if your PC is Light Side. Spamming Lightning isn't as viable because you have to go through, like, 3/4 of the combat encounters with insufficient mana.

^ Top  
  24. Mark Richard Arcane

Mark Richard
    Yeah, the devs knew what they were doing in Jedi Academy by upping the damage for force lightning if the player went weaponless and used both free hands.

^ Top  
  25. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    You can stack wisdom to such a high degree to make it not an issue. :M

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.