Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games where money matters

thesecret1

Arcane
Recommend me some games where money actually matters, where an offer to betray the quest giver for 1k gold is actually tempting, where you scour every nook and cranny and rejoice upon finding a single coin, where even at the end of the game, you're worried about your finances.

Prefferably games that aren't strictly just about amassing money (various merchant sims and the like), but rather ones that simply nail the in-game economy really well, where the focus is still on fighting baddies and delving into dungeons and what not, but where money is key to your success as much as XP.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Battle Brothers. There's as much a paper-rock-scissors approach to the economics as there is combat. You'll be scrimping and saving every penny just to buy food, medication, and weapons. Your men are mercs after all. You run out of money, your troops walk away.

Beastro

Arcane
stalker shadow of chernobyl

The annoying carrying capacity resulted in me finding a solution I was particularly happy with myself about: Get into a huge fire fight, loot everyone, then dump all their shit into one corpse before slowwwwwwwly draging the corpse back to Sidorovich for big cash.

It's not worth it later on, but in Cordon at least it's worth doing to get started.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battle Brothers. There's as much a paper-rock-scissors approach to the economics as there is combat. You'll be scrimping and saving every penny just to buy food, medication, and weapons. Your men are mercs after all. You run out of money, your troops walk away.
Battle Brothers interest me but the legless busts looks ugly.
I just looked up on why it is that way:
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-5-concept-art-explaining-battle-brothers-character-art-style/

deuxhero

Arcane
cjRdEUX.png

Fire Emblem series aside from 2/8/13/14/15. There's a limited amount of money in the entire game, and most weapons have finite uses and need to be replaced by spending money on new weapons. Only Thracia 776 (5) and maybe the Dawn Brigade parts of Radiant Dawn on harder difficulties (10) are particularly stingy, but it's always something to keep in mind.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Silent Storm Sentinels and Hammer & Sickle.

SSS has you buying weapons through company store, so you have to scavenge battlefields for items to sell for money to buy. If you dont make use of the Bank Heist unique mission map, you will have to scrap together over three or four missions to have enough money to assemble a full team of 6.

Hammer & Sickles has you buying weapons from 2 (depend on your choice) traders, pay to have weapons modified (cut down rifle so it can be hidden inside clothes, scoped rifle, silenced SMG and pistols etc...). You can use looted weapons but nice weapon you have to buy or modded. Like, best scoped rifle is SVT scoped only available on last mission, but if you pay through the nose to buy, then scoped, you can have second best one like scoped M1941 Johnson for 3/4 of the game (also depend on your choice, as the extanker merchant dont have US weapon). Also if you are very lucky with random generation, your merchant can have a FG42 in sale, which you can cut your own throat to gather money to buy, then scoped it for a scoped auto rifle~ And most of the time, middle-late game you dont have merchant to dispose off your loots. If you play *very* carefully, you can have one in short run game.

In HS, normally you play the late game with no access to traders because they are all killed in story events. And to avoid that require careful playing PLUS moving on to short run. The long run, nada~

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
stalker shadow of chernobyl
Really? I quickly had more money than I could ever need.
I must've been using a mod because I wasn't. Before I quit, I made it to that level with the arena. I completely forgot the name. I guess it's the second city after you get out of the tunnels and destroy that military base with the sirens... Anyways, I couldn't buy shit when I got there.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Pretty sure Expeditions: Conquistador on the harder difficulty settings is a bitch. Also, money is the way to get the best ending, so you'll be managing that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Risen games, since you can only level up by paying to trainers.

Yes. I played Risen 3 not long ago and I definitely had to put off a lot of upgraded skills until I had more money. Morrowind had a similar system though you could amass money much more quickly.

Not really "money," but the Thief series required you to get a certain amount of loot on harder modes to progress.

Also not money but I vaguely remember "adam" in Bioshock 1 and 2 being relatively limited in the middle-game and having to choose my powers, though later on you have more adam than you'd ever need and the rest of the powers are meh.

Reinhardt

Arcane
trade

exe

Augur
Elex
Real drug addict simulator, scrunging for every coin and stealing everything that isn't nailed down just to get your next fix

Vibalist

Arcane
Pathologic 2 :negative:

+1

I'm playing this shit right now and I'm always scrounging for money. It's especially an issue after I've become infected. Do I buy medication so I don't die from plague? Or food so I don't starve to death? Can't afford both. Choices, choices.

Shout out to the first one as well where food prices are increased by 1000% on day two. :negative:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
New Vegas with mods my nigga.
Economy Overhaul, True Wasteland Economy, or simply a mod that decreases your carry weight limit so that you can't profit off quickly.

Black Angel

Arcane
It's so bizarre to me that it is an issue for some people. Figurines have often looked this way.
NMS001_01.jpg

Given the atrocious art style in most games that we have to gobble up, it is odd that something perfectly normal actually prevents people from playing a game.
Yeah, people finding one something that's seemingly trivial in the bigger picture as a turn-off for them is pretty common out there, graphic whores being the majority of them all. At least in the Codex people elaborate on this, though being turned off from units not having legs is weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom