Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Games with best physics

Sodafish

Arcane
I don't know about best, but some of the worst is the hilarious elastic boob physics of the Bolshoi dancers in Metro LL.

DraQ

Arcane
How predictable.
:hmmm:
Most of faggots here oohing and aahing over ragdolls.

Physics alone is irrelevant. It's what game can do with it that matters.

Some games simply require physics to realize their gameplay (I'm speaking of games like realistic simulators and of physics puzzles).
Some implement physics (sometimes good, sometimes horrible), but leave it unused in actual gameplay (oblivion, for example).
Some however implement physics way beyond what is required to facilitate their core gameplay, take Myth, for example.

Funny thing is that advancement of physics engine and actual role played by such extra physics seem pretty uncorrelated.

Two examples, same series, to not get distraceted by unrelated differences:
Oblivion has pretty extensive (if terribad) physics that plays no role whatsoever in gameplay.
Daggerfall, OTOH has very primitive (and buggy) physics, that nevertheless can be used in gameplay - explosions from fireballs can throw creatures off the ledges and into the pits, or slam them into walls for extra damage.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Half Life 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 both really impressed me when they came out. I loved GTA4's driving, unlike a lot of other people.

Sodafish

Arcane
The STALKER games have fairly good bullet physics, including drop and ricochet. Not sure how accurate their models are, but cool nonetheless.

potatojohn

Arcane
Kerbal Space Program

Orbiter,

Lunar Flight

Spelunky

the Bridge Builder games (Pontifex,...)

Vessel?

Crayon Physics Deluxe

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I mostly agree with what DraQ said.

Also, Half Life 2 is to me the prime example of a game with an impressive physics engine that doesn't take advantage of it. Sure, it's for some Adventure game stye puzzles, but a good physics engine should lead to interesting emergent gameplay.
But I can't really think of any games that do that well.

Oblivion, unlike Morrowind, had some emergent gameplay that was due to it's Radiant AI and faction system, but I was disgusted when pressure plates worked only for the player character, when Dungeon Master got it right almost 20 years earlier.

DefJam101

Arcane
quake

Diagrams.bmp

:troll:

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Half Life 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 both really impressed me when they came out. I loved GTA4's driving, unlike a lot of other people.

Me too, I find it hard to go back to playing the older 3d GTA's.

Driving in GTA IV and accidentally crashing into shit made me laugh a lot.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Me too, I find it hard to go back to playing the older 3d GTA's.

Driving in GTA IV and accidentally crashing into shit made me laugh a lot.

A few GTA5 reviews have mentioned they "fixed the driving"... worried about what that means.

baturinsky

Arcane
From my limited experience, PhysX is only used for lousy (obscuring and unrealistic) visual effects. Not that bad in Mirror's Edge (but nothing special either), but in Borderlands 2 you can't see anything but a fountain of particles.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
From my limited experience, PhysX is only used for lousy (obscuring and unrealistic) visual effects. Not that bad in Mirror's Edge (but nothing special either), but in Borderlands 2 you can't see anything but a fountain of particles.
There is fog effects as well.

DemonKing

Arcane
FEAR had great physics - I still remember blasting an exploding barrel behind some sucker and the resulting blast blew his head clear off and sent it sailing gracefully over my head trailing gore. It landed on top of a cupboard behind me with a grumpy look on it's face. :incline:

Lancehead

Liturgist
Just Cause 2 has some decent physics-based gameplay with the Grappling Hook. Using it you can pull down enemies from heights; depending on the height and the armour the enemy's wearing he may suffer from damage to death. You can hang them, attach to another enemy or attach to a vehicle to drag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom