Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with GOOD Endings

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the Copper Dreams thread, Jinn brought up the interesting point that good endings often aren't necessary for a video game to be great. He went on to say that, while he loves many games, he scarcely remembers any with good endings. I thought it would be fun to make it an open question.

What games have you played with memorably GOOD endings? Describe.
Maybe use spoiler tags if it's a game we might not have played and you want to hustle us into trying it.

Please don't bring up BAD endings, we'll be here forever. Let's make Codex history and stay positive.

Delterius

Arcane
Soul Nomad has a good ending where

You chose the demon path and became the villain, enslaving nations, destroying empires and committing genocide multiple times. If you win the final battle you destroy reality itself. If you lose, the good guys win and seal you away. SInce this is an animu game, I'll let you decide which is the GOOD ending.

Maxie

DFD59C2B127E06B9D4EC60A85D9E8FEA286BC2E0

Mark Richard

Arcane
The old Fallout games and New Vegas. Recounting the immediate impact the player had on this world and then the long term effects was a stroke of genius. The endings offered a perfect thematically satisfying finish and made the journey that much more meaningful.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nocturne (1999) had an amazing cliffhanger "epilogue" which you only unlocked after completing all four individual "episodes" which comprised the main game.

Khh4BgU.jpg

Last edited:

bataille

Arcane
Also every single redemption scenario from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, especially Ted's. Probably the best game in that regard.

Cross

Arcane
:hmmm:

Bloodlines' ending is awful. It's a quintessential example of an otherwise good game that completely shits itself when it has to wrap things up. The endgames areas (the Sabbat hideout, Ming Xiao's temple and Ventrue Tower) are all trash mob filled corridors that go on forever, by far the worst parts of the game. And the pay off for slogging through them, the mystery behind the sarcophagus that the entire game has been building up to is...a needlessly convoluted plot to kill LaCroix that doesn't make the slightest bit of sense (why would the player even hand LaCroix the key to the sarcophagus?). Oh, and fan-servicey metaplot nonsense (as if Caine, the father of all vampires, is going to show up for some clan feud in L.A.).

RPG's with actually strong finales would be Fallout, Deus Ex and Planescape: Torment.

When you finish Drakengard 1 it has an ending A which is kinda... happy one. Then, every other ending in New Game Plus brings up a fucking apocalypse to the world with E being one if the biggest mindfucks in videogaming ever.

Zombra

Patron
Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons (2014) had a brilliant ending. The whole game was good but it all built up to that ending. It's also notable because the story could only have this kind of impact in a video game - it's a thousand times better than a well written cutscene.

Go play it asshole, it's only like 4 hours.

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Thief: The Dark Project had a great sequel hook.

I will tell them this: Nothing has changed. All is as it was written. The Trickster is dead. Beware the dawn... of the Metal Age.

Complete with visual imagery of this coming Metal Age, like the security cameras being built.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Obnoxious in Bioshock vein but... Spec Ops - The Line aka "It was your fault"?
Arx Fatalis where you're too stronk for this underground shithole and they ascend you to the vast frozen wastelands?

Lambach

Arcane
Mask of the Betrayer, mang. Doesn't get much better than that, other than maybe Planescape. Every mystery revealed, every character arc brought to its (relatively) satisfying conclusion.

Provided, of course, you bothered giving a shit about any of that and didn't just rush through the game. Just the way it should be.

circ

Arcane
I don't know. The good games end too soon and the bad one's you usually don't even finish so.

But, I liked the ones in Chrono Trigger. It also has a surprising amount of C&C for a jrpg.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dark Souls.

Kindler of the flame, felt poetic sort of at the end. To finally be able to rest after the long and at times brutal adventure.

Dead Rising (true ending)

The long creepy and totally zombie infested tunnel to the exit and then the hand to hand fight on the tank. Absurd, sure, but it felt really good to beat the crazy general in hand to hand fighting. Also a huge stress-reliever, since the game can really stress you out at times if you want the true ending.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Fallout also has a great ending, but sadly it didn't have much impact on me as I knew it before I played the game.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Retiring at the end of Pirates! and seeing how your life turned out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom