Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games with good voice acting?

baronjohn

Cipher
You can't really have a game these days without voice acting, but most games have VO that detracts from my experience rather than adds anything. I went through a list of games trying to remember which ones had good VO, and I came up with The Void, Aquaria and The Last Express.

The rest of the games either didn't benefit from VO as far as I can remember or actively worked against my enjoyment.

Which games had good VO?

Please only name game will full VO, so Quake 3's HYUK HYUK EXCELLENT! doesn't count. Neither does Morrowind's You N'wah!

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Legacy of Kain series
Psychonauts
Metal Gear Solid (3)
Team Fortress 2. Valve games in general.
No More Heroes
Bioware games tend to have adequate voice acting

Excidium said:
Bloodlines.
This.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The german dub of Jagged Alliance 2 is one of the few games where the dub did a better job than the original, imo. They really nailed it on this.

Also, Bloodlines.

circ

Arcane
Hahaha. Dragon Age.

No thanks.

Almost anything by Relic. I don't know who they have as their voice director, but he works magic. Just listen to Homeworld, Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War series.

GTA: SA was good that I remember. Well, not counting random people and the chicks you banged.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Yeah now that you mention it, Rockstar games always pulls of decent quality of VO.

ever

Scholar
circ said:
Almost anything by Relic. I don't know who they have as their voice director, but he works magic. Just listen to Homeworld, Company of Heroes, and Dawn of War series.
Not just voice, all audio in Relic games is phenomenal. I second this opinion whole heartedly.

Tie Fighter, an old game to be sure, and an early adopter of voice overs used them for great effect during mission briefings, after action reports and during battle.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
circ said:

Yeah, regardless of the quality of writing the VO work in DoW/DoW2 is pretty fucking amazing.

Homeworld is probably Relics best game for voice acting, but all things considered it's the only game of theirs with a single player which I didn't completely forget about the week after so...

Baron

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
Yeah, regardless of the quality of writing the VO work in DoW/DoW2 is pretty fucking amazing.
Oh God yeah, I loved the Sorceror from Dawn of War. His vocal chords were the warped genetic extract of David Warner and Kathleen Turner.

"The lust for blood is never satiated."

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
Resident Evil
Tales of Symphonia
Banjo Kazooie (best I have ever heard).
Hotel Mario
Legend of Zelda: Faces of Evil

Zomg

Arbiter
Most of the stuff I've seen lately only has bad VA in that either they can't carry the terrible writing or they were hired for being famous advertisements and don't give a shit. If they get people from the normal cartoon/video game stable they're all pretty good.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The Last Express
Anachronox
PST
The Bard's Tale (only good thing about it)
Legacy of Kain series
The Dig
Sam & Max Hit The Road
Full Throttle
Bioshock, come to think of it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom