Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

games you have installed on steam RIGHT NOW (no cheating)

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Yes, I'm finally getting around to Kingmaker. If I wasn't lazy I'd separate the JRPGs in my library.

s.jpg

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
How the fuck do u guys even have that many games installed and know what to play like.. I get serious stress from all that.

I usually only have whatever I want to play right now installed, and when im done, I uninstall that shit right off

dbx

Arcane
Patron
games.png

but this is probably worse:
games2.png

games3.png

Had way more stuff installed via GOG Galaxy, but had to make room for running an Ethereum full node...

fork

All you guys who have "DARK SOULS: REMASTERED" installed, try to get your hands on PTDE whatever the cost. It's a different game. Remaster destroys the atmosphere. I'd rather play 25fps PTDE than 60fps remaster.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Eh, 25 FPS? I have PTDE in my Steam library but played at a full 60 FPS using that little hack that came out. IIRC, there was a physics problem climbing/descending ladders at 60 FPS but you could assign a hotkey to temporarily drop down to 30 FPS as a workaround

ferratilis

Magister
I have PTDE already of course, and have played it with DSFix. Remastered is just more convenient tbh, even though it was a cashgrab.

Rej1vw4.png

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered why I have it instead of PTDE: Blighttown. I don't want to go through that area at 15fps ever again. Just for that, it's worth it imo.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have PTDE already of course, and have played it with DSFix. Remastered is just more convenient tbh, even though it was a cashgrab.

Rej1vw4.png

Is there any real difference between the two like the poster hollering above claiming that the remastered version "destroys the atmosphere?"

Curratum

Yeah, the difference is that the remaster doesn't attempt to give you autism with its controls, mouselook and framerates when you play it.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
All you guys who have "DARK SOULS: REMASTERED" installed, try to get your hands on PTDE whatever the cost. It's a different game. Remaster destroys the atmosphere. I'd rather play 25fps PTDE than 60fps remaster.

Still fucking hate BANDAI for splitting the Dark Souls 1 PC community. An absolute ass move.

fork

Eh, 25 FPS? I have PTDE in my Steam library but played at a full 60 FPS using that little hack that came out. IIRC, there was a physics problem climbing/descending ladders at 60 FPS but you could assign a hotkey to temporarily drop down to 30 FPS as a workaround

What I mean is that I'd rather play a last (last) gen console version of PTDE than Remaster.
And yes, the difference is dramatic if you give a shit about the dream-like atmosphere of the original release or artistic integrity at all. And even if you don't, every graphical change in Remaster is for the worse.
And the Blighttown fps argument is only really valid if you play on original 360 hardware or a completely outdated PC (maybe PS3 also, no idea). But I do think I'd prefer the worst performing PTDE experience over the plastic-looking Remaster that has been robbed of its soul (no pun intended). I personally have most of my playtime on the 360-version through Xbox One X back-compatibility, including my SL1-runs, and while there still are some drops in Blighttown, they're nowhere near as bad as they were on 360 hardware. And the game looks better than Remaster at 4k.

Edit: And I'm a gameplayfag first, atmospherefag second. I play Quake 3 with picmip 5. But "DARK SOULS: REMASTERED" simply butchered the original.

Last edited by a moderator:

ferratilis

Magister

Rej1vw4.png

Is there any real difference between the two like the poster hollering above claiming that the remastered version "destroys the atmosphere?"

I don't think it destroys the atmosphere tbh. The only thing I dislike was how they added a lot of specular maps on walls and floors, so some surfaces that looked normal in original now look shiny and wet. But after five minutes, you won't really mind it.

The benefits far outweigh the negatives imo, the consistent performance being the best one (technically, you could make the game look better with DSFix in original version, but performance would still tank in Blighttown). Some of the lighting looks better (not all), textures received a bump in resolution etc.

If you're really curious, Crowbcat has an hour-and-a-half video of comparisons between the two, so you can see for yourself.

fork

They removed DoF completely (well, almost) and while I hate DoF in almost all games, it was an integral part of Dark Souls. Most areas were designed with DoF in mind! Not only that, they fucking butchered the lighting and contrast as well; where the original looks perfectly atmospheric, Remastered has jarring lighting transitions, for example when entering Lost Izalith from just after the bell in Blighttown, where brightness is way off, not to mention the lava downgrade, or entering Blighttown from the Valley of Drakes, or entering Duke's Archives from Anor Londo, where the entrance is way too dark, black basically, in the Remaster, or entering Darkroot Garden just after Andre, which looks way too bright from the room with that Demon...
Then there are the plastic looking armor materials, which looked just perfect in PTDE, or the raped torches and bonfires...

I could go on. Remaster is a butchered piece of shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom