Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you remember having a blast with

sser

Arcane
Developer
Thinking back can be strange, because the fun itself has another context; different times, different technologies, usually a lost lifestyle I yearn for, down to the musk of cheap wooden flooring or a sort of wallpaper I don't even see anymore or a time when looking up and seeing an airplane was actually fascinating; a world that could really only go as far as your eyes would allow, with pockets of other realities in the form of VHS tapes which you'd spend an hour haunting a box store to rent. Back when technology was stowed away somewhere, usually a basement or a study, and that room itself had a particular sense of sights and smells, some plasticy metal box of computers or consoles with clicky-clacky joysticks and keyboards all set next to ancient wooden furniture with a black rotary phone and a rolodex that smelled like old people. So when I think of the fun I'm really thinking of another world entirely at this point. And in that world exists a little game called Army Men Sarge's Heroes, which was woefully underrated and still probably one of my favorite multiplayer games.

plenty of games have entertained me, even hooked me, some were masterpiece which fascinated me, some less so but still captured my attention. but "having a blast"? honestly, on the spot, only twinkle star sprites and tabula rasa come to mind.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
81LwNsyJWOL._SY550_.jpg

Metal%20Gear%20Rising%3A%20Revengeance.jpg

152089-f-e-a-r-first-encounter-assault-recon-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

142574_s0.jpg

71DGNPVLUhL._SY445_.jpg

These are the games that genuinely excited me & motivated me as I played it.

DemonKing

Arcane
When I think of "a Blast" I'm thinking games where I was still thinking about lying in bed, at work etc even when I wasn't able to play them and gave me a giddy feeling while playing.

To that end I'd nominate:

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Half Life
FEAR
Baldur's Gate/IceWind Dale
Thief (1998)
Company of Heroes
Far Cry
Rome: Total War
Tomb Raider (2013)
Legend of Grimrock
Shadow Tactics
Myth: The Fallen Lords

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When I think of "a Blast" I'm thinking games where I was still thinking about lying in bed, at work etc even when I wasn't able to play them and gave me a giddy feeling while playing.

To that end I'd nominate:

With the same philosophy as you:

- Doom 1 and 2.
- Half life.
- Far Cry.
- Ninja Gaiden Black and 2, even Sigma versions.
- Dark Souls.
- Arma 2.
- System Shock 2.
- Dragon's Dogma.
- Wizardry 1.
- Metal Gear Solid 3.
- Vagrant Story.
- Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
- SMT 3: Nocturne.
- God Hand.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom