Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you would never play based on the title alone.

This idea came to me after stumbling across a trailer that sounded so generic and soulless I could not believe it was for a real game and after participating in the very successful bad cover art thread.

What are some particularly uninspired or retarded titles that prevented or nearly prevented you from buying a game? Bonus points if you come up with a more appropriate title for games that are actually decent.

Here's mine:

Fucking "Rise to War" really? The hell does that even mean?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pretty much any jrpg name.

Not that I'm against jrpgs or anything, just their names are uninspired to me.

laclongquan

Arcane
I'd say Black Geyser... but i happened to play it so...

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/nahlakh-and-natuk.97459/ comes to mind

also
Dungeon Rats
Caves of Qud
Lords of Xulima
Telepath Tactics
Space Cats Tactics
Voidspire Tactics
Stellar Tactics
Alvora Tactics
Grotesque Tactics
Something Something Tactics
I Fucked Your Mom Tactics
At Least Try to Make Original Title Tactics
etc.
Your problem is you are a bad tactic player. Why not just accept that and ignore tactic game from now on? Bad tactic player but keep on headbutt such game... what you are trying to prove?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Alpha Protocol is a game I would never have played based on the title alone.

Of course, it should never be played for the gameplay, either. :martini:

Age of Decadence and Dungeon Rats are both uninspiring names; Iron Tower Studio managed a decent name for their company but seem bereft of any other ideas for titles (see also, Colony Ship).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Original War is not a very original title but it's much better than it sounds (if you like squad-based games like JA2 but in an SF milieu) so I guess it's off-topic here. But if I didn't know the game and I just saw that title in a Humble Bundle or something I'd likely think, "aww, another game that probably sells for $1.99 normally that they're trying to unload that was made in 2014 and to this day hasn't gotten a sole Steam review."

DemonKing

Arcane
And the winner is...

Boyfriend_Dungeon.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Divine Divinity was a game I ignored based on the stupid name.
But from what I've heard it's quite good, so it's now on my play list.

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth wins.
Flawless victory.
Fatality.

Contenders:
Hardspace: Shipbreaker
Shadow Tactics
Yoku's Island Express

All turned out to be pretty good.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Telepath Tactics
Space Cats Tactics
Voidspire Tactics
Stellar Tactics
Alvora Tactics
Grotesque Tactics
taking an existing recognizable brand name and slapping "Tactics" on top of it isn't a bad idea tbh. Makes it immediately clear that this is a spin-off of a known series, but with more of a strategic gameplayfag approach.

Icewind Dale would've sold better if it was named "Baldur's Gate Tactics" :smug:

Curratum

control F Dink Smallwood. Phrase not found.
:positive:

Dink Smallwood was such a joy to play. The off-the-wall bullshit was so fucking refreshing and occasionally hilarious, occasionally a bit cringy, but in a... good way? Loved that thing.

Telepath Tactics
Space Cats Tactics
Voidspire Tactics
Stellar Tactics
Alvora Tactics
Grotesque Tactics
taking an existing recognizable brand name and slapping "Tactics" on top of it isn't a bad idea tbh. Makes it immediately clear that this is a spin-off of a known series, but with more of a strategic gameplayfag approach.

Icewind Dale would've sold better if it was named "Baldur's Gate Tactics" :smug:

Weird example. Icewind Dale sold well and was able to cash in on cross-marketing with Salvatore’s books, almost certainly more of a sales boon then being affiliated with BG.
But otherwise, yes it’s a valid marketing tactic (see what I did there?).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom