Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gamescom 2020 Day Four: The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon Gameplay Footage

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Carrie Patel; Obsidian Entertainment; The Outer Worlds; The Outer Worlds: Peril on Gorgon

For the final day of Gamescom, IGN have brought us the first gameplay footage from the upcoming Peril on Gorgon expansion DLC for The Outer Worlds. Narrated by Carrie Patel, it's a brief jaunt on the surface of the Gorgon asteroid, which is apparently infested with marauders driven mad by the Adrena-Time drug that was once manufactured there. The player character, accompanied by companions Parvati and Felix, starts out at the local Sublight outpost, where they meet a woman who is looking for the remains of her husband who was left behind on the asteroid when Spacer's Choice evacuated. We get to see some pretty outdoor visuals, a new science weapon, and the new audio log feature. The level design seems to have a greater emphasis on verticality than the base game, but for the most part it's just more Outer Worlds.

Surely they could have found a better way to showcase the expansion than with this simple fetch quest. Oh well, it's a start I guess.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Thought I'd slide into these DM's with an original Take:

This game is so lackluster in every way.. I even want the setting to just die and be forgotten.
This whole thing was a quickbuck slamdunk pandering attempt to cash in. Shit Lore and shit writing, shit level design, art direction was shit.

This game has nothing redeemable about it.

This coming from someone who is playing WL3 right now. My standards are low.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think this game wins an award for the most unlikable companions for any RPG made in the last 10 years. Even DA:I and DOS2 had better companions.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I think this game wins an award for the most unlikable companions for any RPG made in the last 10 years.

Kangmaker too. Loud annoying brat bard, strong wombyn barbarian, hipster cuck gnome savant, etc.

They used existing setting.

Russian studio did game on Western setting. This why you see obligatory "strong independent women", "hipster cucks" etc. trash.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Play with custom companions. Politically correct writers do sh1tty characters. L1beral gonna l1beral, i guess.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
For some reason while this game was progressing, my boredom level was going higher and higher. It's not like it had huge potential and they ruined it, it never had that, but things could be better.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
For some reason while this game was progressing, my boredom level was going higher and higher. It's not like it had huge potential and they ruined it, it never had that, but things could be better.

The whole Western in Space genre is kind of meh. Firefly got popular and nothing after it really captured the same feel.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Remember, this game sold so well that the first DLC is coming 1 year after release. :lol:

You mean like games in the past? BG1, BG2, Gothic 2?

What's the problem?

I know you are going for the snark angle but it fails on every level. If they released DLC after a couple weeks then people like you would whine that it's 'cut content sold as DLC', 'cynical cash grab' etc.

If they release after a year then it's 'LOL it sold like shit!'

:roll:

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron
I know you are going for the snark angle but it fails on every level. If they released DLC after a couple weeks then people like you would whine that it's 'cut content sold as DLC', 'cynical cash grab' etc.

I get what you're saying my man but there's also a reason why people whine about DLCs... Let's rollback and start creating normal expansions with a good amount of content, no alpha/beta, no fan service, no <whatever>.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I get what you're saying my man but there's also a reason why people whine about DLCs... Let's rollback and start creating normal expansions with a good amount of content, no alpha/beta, no fan service, no <whatever>.

But that doesn't make money so nobody's going to do it except for indies.

Sobchak

Scholar
Patron

True, it doesn't but I think it's the marketing autism that the "AAA" companies are marching with the DLC banner. CDPR is still giving normal expansions.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

True, it doesn't but I think it's the marketing autism that the "AAA" companies are marching with the DLC banner. CDPR is still giving normal expansions.

I think at this point true expansions are a loss leader. Publishers use them as a platform to sell other kinds of monetizable content or in the case of CDPR, to build good will and increase the popularity of the base game. From a purely profit standpoint, the amount of work that goes into a large expansion would probably be better spent on a standalone game (like Far Cry Blood Dragon).

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The difference is that DLCs are pathetic in scale compared to expansion packs of yore (many of which released 1 year after launch, yes)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom