Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Fellow fans of criminally underrated Gangsters: Organized Crime will be delighted to know a crackerjack coder over at NeoSeeker forums figured out how to convert the .xtx data files into easily modified .txt format all the way back in 2015. In addition to instructions from MalusD on how to convert the files yourself, as well as his fixes of errors in the base game, a bro over at GoG also uploaded the cracked files here for easy download and instant tweaking.

Although I have yet to try all of them I can confirm the modded constants.txt works perfectly with the GoG version as I just played it with the amount of police reduced by 75% without encountering any issues. The excessive amount of police on the map is one thing that always bothered me back in the day as it would turn every little clash and turf war into city-wide massacres as police would flood in from all over the place - no longer!

Now, naturally, police count is merely one of a great many aspects you can now tweak to your heart's content (at your own risk of course!). The constants file allows you to modify the number of civilians, FBI agents, starting hoods/vehicles/money and so on while other files govern hit tables, hood generation, land cost, export prices, business upkeep, fear and loyalty levels etc. All in all it is a huge step in modifying the game.

Last edited:

Incantatar

Cipher
I played this game a lot. My biggest gripe wasn't the police mass slaughter party but the timer(?) that results in all out war after a certain time. It was impossible to remain peaceful with the AI.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
True that. Even if you are allied your best buddy will inevitably try to grab your turf and wipe you out. There are references to gang orders involving spies and setting up meetings with gang bosses in the data files but it seems that was all cut. The diplomacy slider should be useful in MP (at peace your guys won't open fire on each other, lower settings are basically shoot-to-kill policy) but I tend to simply keep it at cease-fire with everyone in SP games. The A.I. gangs only respect strength so sitting in the corner keeping yourself purposely small actually invites aggression. It is a fun challenge to limit yourself to a small block but if you aren't into that it is better to muscle up and just shoot everyone on sight (manually, of course).

Once you are clearly in the lead they tend to stay away even on aggressive (but they will still try to bomb your buildings etc. if you make high value purchases announced in the newspaper). I like to position myself so I control one side of the city, then just gun down any gangsters trying to cross the bridges. Scenarios like South of the River and Where Angels Fear to Tread are ideal for this if you want a really casual sandbox game (amusingly the latter is portrayed as being some ultimate challenge but is in fact the easiest map in the game on account of the gimped A.I. not using its advantage).

Anyway! I have been tinkering with the files and here is what I found:

Changing population (police, FBI, citizens etc.) and starting vehicles/bombs is supported (shame you can't modify starting weapons). Changing starting money, hoods etc. sadly has no effect (I suspect the sliders in game setup override the .xtx/.txt values). Giving all gangs 5-6 vehicles is a good way to let you know where their offices are in the first week. Simply pause the game and scan the map and they will stand out. Helpful when you are rolling maps to get a start where you have one side of the city for yourself.

I also tried changing melee damage to make assault orders actually kill targets. Didn't work. Seems like they had a lot of plans for melee but had to abandon it. Something I have yet to try is to adjust the amount of police and FBI agents in various buildings. You can also change the amount of gangsters you can allocate to each type of order (so you can send 10 guys to kill someone for example without having to set up multiple orders led by different people in the same lieutenant group).

If only it was possible to edit save games you could seriously beef up the opponents with cash and high level guns, rename gangsters for LP purposes etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom