Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Gary Gygax thread

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by rusty_shackleford, Sep 27, 2021.

1. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Nearly all of these are taken from the Dragon's Foot/ENWorld Q&A threads, otherwise the source will be listed.

Dragon's Foot Q&A
    https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=12147&p=204737#p204737
    https://www.enworld.org/threads/q-a-with-gary-gygax.22566/page-116#post-1995336
    Dragon #272, Hooray for the Dungeon Crawl!
    ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2004
    Gygax BTFOs savescummers

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2004
    storyfags btfo

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2003
    ..combatfags btfo

http://www.witchboy.net/articles/the-dungeon-master-an-interview-with-gary-gygax/
    ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 8, 2005
    ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 13, 2007
    2E mainly existed to remove Gygax's royalties
    3E & co was a mistake, it is nothing but trash.

ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 1, 2002
    ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 4, 2003
    ENWorld, Q&A with Gary Gygax part 5, 2003

weebs will be spared no quarter

https://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=252328#p252328
    humanocentrism

Dragon #29
    wimminz

guns

PC / politics

his opinion on you disagreeing with him
    lastchristmas on suicide watch
    and of course, the most important of all

you can find a compiled list of all his Q&A answers here if you feel like reading through thousands upon thousands of posts
    https://web.archive.org/web/20110519180015/http://blogofholding.com/?page_id=2744
    alternative if that one ever gets deleted: https://archive.is/brD0G

• Brofist x 9
    • Prestigious x 5
    • Salute x 3
    • Goldfist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What did he have to say on magefags?

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Good compilation rusty_shackleford, thanks. Your culture war/partisan cherry-picking is obvious, but great quotes nonetheless. Thanks for including links to sources as well!

I love Gygax’s comments on 3e. Having grown up in the 1990s and come of age playing 2nd ed cRPGs, I experienced the transition from 2nd to 3rd edition first hand. Gygax is right of course, the game changed entirely. It went from a rules based, somewhat grounded experience to “everyone is a winner” no class or race restrictions, with the early 2000s flavor of popamole engagement through trite mechanics. You get a feat, and you get a feat, and YOU get a feat!

It still shocks me to see all the posters here - with supposed elite and refined taste - gobble up 3rd ed shlock from the WotC. These people are *thirsty* to pop moles using a rules system that isn’t even a pale comparison to 1st/2nd ed; it is an abomination.

Yet fans of Pathfinder are legion here.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    • decline decline x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    The month after Gygax's ouster from TSR, Dragon Magazine #108 (November 1985) carried an article by Gygax on "The Future of the Game" describing his plans for 2nd edition AD&D, work on which he anticipated to start in mid-1986 and take two to three years. If Gygax hadn't been removed from TSR, it's unlikely that 2nd edition AD&D would have been published any later than mid-1989 --- when it actually was published after being developed by David Zeb Cook --- and it probably wouldn't have been terribly different from the version we received.

Although we might have missed out on bards becoming the fifth major class, with jesters as a sub-class. :M

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bara Magister

Bara
    Well I mean his self insert character was a dual class fighter/mage so safe to say he was a magefan and fighterbro.
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    When adventuring in Greyhawk with Rob Kuntz as Dungeon Master, Gygax's main PC was Mordenkainen the magic-user:

[​IMG]

"The module you are about to read contains the hasis for one of the most difficult adventures that my character, Mordenkainen the Mage, ever underwent. The characters and the events were slightly different from what is presented here: for, after some time, Rob Kuntz and I sat down together as co-DMs of the Greyhawk Campaign to revise and expand the scenario. You now have substantially what we created at that time."

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  7. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Oh okay he was too embarrassed to say anything.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Morblot Aberrant Member Patron

Morblot
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Based Gary. I'm glad D&D was at least created by such a gentleman and scholar even if it's since become a fucking joke in the hands of other, lesser men.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gangrelrumbler Arcane Patron

Gangrelrumbler
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
    Thanks for posting that. Leftards will claim that "right wingers can't be creative" or other shit, but it turns out that truly great things are created by people on the right and then insane leftists come in to take over. Sure he wasn't a republican but his views would be described as "far right extremism" by every SJW.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    mind you, this was a time when the libertarian party was still ran by adults rather than lolbertarian manchildren

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. JamesDixon Arcane Patron

JamesDixon
    In the Adventure Master's Lair on Malignost
    Strap Yourselves In
    He was right about a lot of things. I remember when women started playing RPGs en masse and enjoyed all the attention of the men present. They did it for the validation not for the game itself.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Incel hot take detected. I've seen it both ways, I've also seen a guy who showed up for the social angle way more than the game itself. You're describing humans, not gender.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    [​IMG]

That's the guy at the bottom left.

Or maybe a homo.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    mondblut nah, he was a "nerd" who liked to do nerd shit, but didn't actually care for the mechanics at play - more so the drinking and socializing. The first woman in our group actually loved the crunchy mechanics, creating her character and muderhobo'ing, but we did have another tag-along that joined later who was probably there for a guy who was playing with us.

The point being, in my tiny sample of n=1, I saw it both ways from both genders. Some fit the meme, some don't. That's why I think it's more general to the diverse spectrum of humanity than one gender vs another.

and: and to be clear, we were all there for the drinking and socializing. But some moreso than others.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. JamesDixon Arcane Patron

JamesDixon
    In the Adventure Master's Lair on Malignost
    Strap Yourselves In
    *Yawn* This is what passes for modern intelligence. The first thing you do is insult someone based upon their ability to get pussy. That's a sure sign that you're the incel and that you thirst after pussy so bad that you have to defend an entire gender in the hopes of getting laid.

In no way does your comment invalidate what I saw and experienced in gaming groups beginning in the late 1980s. In 90% of the groups I played in the women were only there to get validation from thirsty men. Sure, there were exceptions to the rule, but they were exceptions. It ended up to where we are now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Okily Dokily! Okily Dokily! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Hag Savant

Hag
    I've met several gaming women and introduced my gf to gaming, did tabletop RPG with several ones and board games with even more, and I tend to agree. They can clearly be as good as a player as any man, do enjoy a good game, but they usually don't have the "hardcore", "play for the sake of it" side, but have a more balanced "it's just a game" stance. Still, girl nerdeage may vary, and some of them are very much able to nitpick at large about obscure shit.
    But it may be like sex : male are more after intensity, rush and the act itself, female are more about the moment, having a good time, doing something enjoyable. When you know it, it gets easier to make everybody happy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Archibald Arcane

Archibald
    Might be age thing, one you try first might be the one you end up liking the most.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Khor1255 Arcane

Khor1255
    I had a few chicks play the long running medieval game I had. If I'm remembering correctly the first two were girlfriends just wanting to do it because that's what I was doing. The next two were sisters very much into artsy things who just wanted to try it out and the last one was a girl genuinely interested but kind of forced to stop by her jealous boyfriend.
    Not one of them completely got it.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Modern RPG fans be like:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Eldagusto Novice

Eldagusto
    I see why communists hate him now hoho.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.