Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gates of the Ancient -- new Elite-like for the C64

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haven't tried it yet, but it seems pretty interesting. Free download, the latest version comes with SuperCPU support (that's a 20 MHz mod for the C64, so to speak, a lot faster than the stock 1 MHz, and best of all, there's a special version of the VICE emulator that emulates the SCPU).

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I heartily approve the idea of new games being coded by talented programmers for my favorite computer of all time but... I don't know. I just don't know. For me to enjoy it, it at least shouldn't look uglier than the C64 space games of that time, imo. Someone will enjoy it though.

dacencora

I heartily approve the idea of new games being coded by talented programmers for my favorite computer of all time but... I don't know. I just don't know. For me to enjoy it, it at least shouldn't look uglier than the C64 space games of that time, imo. Someone will enjoy it though.
I find that most modern C64 games are a little too held back by the hardware. I love the aesthetic style, but the games are often very simplistic. Similar issue with the Pico-8. The TIC-80 has the right level of memory limit for my liking. I’m just not sure what the real-world analogue is for the TIC-80, maybe the C128? A500?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
For me to enjoy it, it at least shouldn't look uglier than the C64 space games of that time, imo.

Well, it looks better than Elite, I think.
Yes, I remember playing Space Rogue on my C64 when it was first released (only the 2nd space/flight sim I ever played after Sublogic's Jet) then decided to try the game that started the whole space sim sub-genre - Elite. It looked much worse than Space Rogue (at least on the C64), which came out 3 or 4 years after Elite, I believe.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For me to enjoy it, it at least shouldn't look uglier than the C64 space games of that time, imo.

Well, it looks better than Elite, I think.
Yes, I remember playing Space Rogue on my C64 when it was first released (only the 2nd space/flight sim I ever played after Sublogic's Jet) then decided to try the game that started the whole space sim sub-genre - Elite. It looked much worse than Space Rogue (at least on the C64), which came out 3 or 4 years after Elite, I believe.

That's true, but I think it doesn't look worse than Space Rogue, to me they look comparable. In any case, I think visuals are secondary in these old-school space games anyway, the gfx does the job in this case.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, at least it plays faster due to the supercharged builds of the C64 emulator. tbh tho, it doesn't really look much faster in that video than what I remember of Space Rogue.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
nah they waste the 20 fold mhz for shit like shading, the result looks like Amiga with shit graphics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom