Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gears of Hitman gameplay video

baronjohn

Cipher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf3dPKYf1E

1) Niiiiiiiice animations

2) what's with all the casual murder? This is HITMAN, not fucking GTA.

3) Cinematic, linear levels, at least the first one.

Relay

Educated
baronjohn said:
3) Cinematic, linear levels, at least the first one.

Exactly like Hitman Blood Money. The first level was linear as hell too but the game as a whole was damn good.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, to be honest, besides the X-Ray vision, it's actually not looking too bad, presuming that wasn't the ONLY way to get out of the library. *RAGE* temporarily postponed.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Wow, that looks seriously impressive. Obviously this demo is scripted as fuck but it looks like the levels will at least be relatively large and give you a lot of options. Also, brilliant atmosphere and sound, not to mention lighting, especially for what I assume is the console version. And even if it is scripted, I'm still impressed by the dialogue and reactions of the police in that video. Felt like an actual crime scene with real people talking to one another. I doubt the final game will be anywhere near as cool, but still, it made for a good demo.

That said, x-ray vision looks dumb as fuck and the cover system look annoying (though I don't mind cover in stealth games provided it's done well so we'll see), but overall this is a lot better looking than what I'd previously read.

Drool

Novice
It would be an instant GOTY for me if when 47 saw those rifles, he would actually pick them up and go on a fucking rampage exterminate all the pigs in the building.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
They took a lot from DX:HR. The way 47 darts from cover to cover is identical.

I don't mind as I liked DX:HR.

Eidos seems to the last of big devs still trying somewhat.

I just hope the next Thief doesn't use this third person mechanic.

RPGMaster

Savant
It took IO six years to making a fucking reskin of Splinter Cell Conviction?

:x

Sordid Jester

Educated
Bloody Money's first/tutorial level: Learn the basics on your way towards the target, kill the target. Linear, but actually based on typical hitman objectives. It's a yawn fest, but it does what it sets out to do.

Absolution: Sneak 47 through an amateur drama group's reenactment of a police crime scene and snap necks because.. just do it. Also, helicopter thrilling chase scene, woah! Jump, Ezio, jump!

Oh, and 47's voice is absolutely hilarious now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf3dPKY ... age#t=955s - definitely the suave voice of a killer.

Black

Arcane
lmao they put potheads who hate "pigs" in it, that's what i always expected from a hitman game xD
also cinematic experience ftw!!

THUBMS UP IF YOU AGREE

Angthoron

Arcane
commie said:
They took a lot from DX:HR. The way 47 darts from cover to cover is identical.

I don't mind as I liked DX:HR.

Eidos seems to the last of big devs still trying somewhat.

I just hope the next Thief doesn't use this third person mechanic.

I wonder if they'll have lethal and non-lethal take-downs!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Angthoron said:

I always go non-lethal if available in stealth games. I just don't see the honor in murdering someone that just is doing their job like a cop or a security guard. Those guards begging for their lives and talking about their children in Splinter Cell I'd feel bad to have to kill(yeah,I'm funny like that to feel bad about an amalgam of polygons). I got this from Thief where being non-lethal (to humans) was a requirement on the harder levels and kept it ever since, always larping that a quality thief/spy/assassin prides themselves on avoiding slaughter. It's also usually tougher to play like this as stealth games, because of the way the levels are designed and enemies hand placed in certain areas. In most stealth games, unless avoiding alarms is explicit in a mission, it's piss easy to just stand in a doorway and mow everyone down as they come to investigate a sound.

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, I also go non-lethal if possible, unless the group of people in question are a bunch of dicks.

Like Belltower.

Steve

Augur
The only way to play a Hitman game is try to get the Silent assassin rank from each mission where it's possible.

Stinger

Arcane
NoAvatar5digitNewfag said:
Looks like the bzzzzzzz bzzzzzzz sound loop is the new Jeremy Soule of PC gaming.

It's BWANG! and it's all that hack Hans Zimmer's (who keeps copying himself and ripping off Ennio Morricone's scores) fault.

As for the vid. Started out kind of interesting. For all the scriptedness of it, it still looked fun and sticky cover animations seemed to blend naturally with normal animations though I guess it'll be like DXHR where cover kind of breaks combat and stealth. But then that stupid Eagle vision crap turns up and it doesn't just sees through walls but somehow tracks the AI paths as well. And then the douchebag grabs a cop in the middle of the freaking group of cops like an untrained thug and it goes all SHOOTAN! for no good reason.

But then he puts on the cop suit and it got kinda cool again.

I don't know what to make of this. DXHR looked pretty shit at first but it turned out to be a good, fun game so...I dunno.

Eyeball

Arcane
commie said:
Angthoron said:

I always go non-lethal if available in stealth games. I just don't see the honor in murdering someone that just is doing their job like a cop or a security guard. Those guards begging for their lives and talking about their children in Splinter Cell I'd feel bad to have to kill.
Reminds me of the severely underrated and ultra-badass Punisher game from the mid 2000s. When grabbing an opponent to use as a human shield, you'd get the option of shooting him in the back of the skull or simply being merciful and knocking him out. However, you being Frank Castle, why the hell would you ever show mercy to a drug dealer? This lead to a number of hardass oneliners, something that game excelled at.

Drug dealer: No. NO! I have children!
Punisher: *has flashback of slaying of own family* So did I...BLAM!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Stinger said:
But then that stupid Eagle vision crap turns up and it doesn't just sees through walls but somehow tracks the AI paths as well. And then the douchebag grabs a cop in the middle of the freaking group of cops like an untrained thug and it goes all SHOOTAN! for no good reason.
Yup, those were my biggest issues too. If you gonna end with a shoot-out anyway, why even bother to sneak? Hope there are many other ways to escape, but I couldnt see any other in the video...

And that X-ray vision showing the AI paths was just TOO MUCH! You don't even need to understand the enemy movement anymore, just watch the stupid red line...

Ermm

Erudite
Sordid Jester said:
Bloody Money's first/tutorial level: Learn the basics on your way towards the target, kill the target. Linear, but actually based on typical hitman objectives. It's a yawn fest, but it does what it sets out to do.

Absolution: Sneak 47 through an amateur drama group's reenactment of a police crime scene and snap necks because.. just do it. Also, helicopter thrilling chase scene, woah! Jump, Ezio, jump!

Oh, and 47's voice is absolutely hilarious now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf3dPKY ... age#t=955s - definitely the suave voice of a killer.

When they are going to get tired with Batman Begins impersonations?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom