Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gears of War 4 .....trying it several years later

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
0vaDhEk.png

Although it could be dull in places, I enjoyed Gears of War 1, for what it was, as a bit of simple fun on Xbox 360. It kinda had Warhammer 40,000 vibes. Apocalyptic war, xenos, chainsaws. I didn't like the sequels as much, as GOW1 had a 'wartime London' aesthetic full of neoclassical buildings and bomb damage. They didn't, and threw in big cinematic 'moments'. The guns were fun to shoot. The gameplay was pretty solid. Couch co-op was alright with friends. What little story there was, mainly suggestive, declined over the trilogy, as writers manifested innuendo into a less interesting story. Now I've had the chance to play some of Gears of War 4 many years after it's 2016 release.... and it's one of the most typical examples of a new dev creating a monotonous sequel.

The enemies, rather than a real organic life, are robots. Why do they always do robots? From the Locust, to blandness:

9xm60ZW.jpg

They are tedious to fight. No personality. Who thought this was a good introduction for the first half of the campaign?

3o13k91.png

I did some reading out of interest, and it seems SJW politics touched the franchise. It turns out that your female companion in this game, is destined to become the main character in 2019's Gears of War 5, for reasons of diversity/inclusion, as stated by the new in-house Microsoft developer. They already had women in Gears of War 3, where Anya got roided up enough to carry a Lancer. However, it was again justified for all the worst, utterly predictable, reasons:

Emb0aB7.png

Gears of War, famously about four ridiculous body-builders in a running gun battle through a hellscape, had too much of a "dudebro" or "hypermasculine" image. This hilarious reputation, is apparently a bad thing, for reasons. Nobody bothered to explain why it's terrible for one cartoony franchise to own this niche, in a world full of other options for gamers.

foNkNt3.png

The Coalition had to undergo a "culture change". In a game famously populated by men who look like walking tanks, there was an audience of millions of women just waiting to jump onboard. They were merely prevented from rushing onto the Gears of War fandom train, by the terrible suffering inflicted by not being able to see a woman protagonist, on which their interest in playing rested. They would have permission thereafter to give into their long urgings for cover shooters and chainsaw kills.

This didn't satisfy every SJW though, as while it's okay for Teal'c to voice Kratos, Laura Bailey voicing an alien who resembles a Latino was bad:

TNuUU5W.png

Well, Cliff Blezinski already said of women's chest sizes in Gears of War 2, that "She has a very modest chest and doesn't look like some sort of heavy metal movie fantasy." Who cares about someone's harmless juvenile fantasy? Guys didn't need impossible basketball sized biceps toning down to feel good about themselves, it should be noted.

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
OG Gears Trilogy was pretty good for the mid 2000s early 2010s of console shooters. Wish they'd port'em over to Steam like they did Halo, had a lot of fun with Gears 3's Horde mode back in the day.

Kinda miss that genre of game design, Hypermasculine Dudebro Celebration of Violence game. Only recent similar thing that comes to mind are the NuDooms. New Gears don't have any of the edge or grit the originals did.

The Gears of War game franchise used to be stereotyped as a series that made tons of money, now people don’t even think about it.

Is Gears of War 4 the one that switched over to those shitty robot enemies? Just play Binary Domain, which has cool robot enemies you can blow into bits which crawl along the ground at you like they’re the Terminator.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gears of War is one of these games whose popularity I simply can't understand. I only played GoW1, and it was so mindnumbingly boring that I couldn't carry on for more than 3 hours tops. It's boring even as popamole, because other popamole broshooters at least provide some degree of entertainment through production values and 'spectacle', but I found no such thing in Gears of War.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane
@YldrE - Don't mean to say Gears 4 is all bad (I'm still playing it after all), it's just 2 hours out of a 6 hour campaign, they chose a pretty bland enemy. I've never liked generic robots. This was their chosen introduction to the new Microsoft era.... Not a fan of a lot of the new guns either. The enforcer feels bad, as do most robot guns.

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Gears of War is one of these games whose popularity I simply can't understand. I only played GoW1, and it was so mindnumbingly boring that I couldn't carry on for more than 3 hours tops. It's boring even as popamole, because other popamole broshooters at least provide some degree of entertainment through production values and 'spectacle', but I found no such thing in Gears of War.

Same. Like the first one came out right, and it was obvious the hype machine was going full steam. What else was released during that time? Was there a drought of shooters in those days?

Well, when it came out, it didn’t exactly have much competition with regard to the type of game it was. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter had come out earlier that year, Rainbow Six: Vegas would come out a little later, and that was kind of it as far as multiplayer cover based shooters went.

It was kind of cool, it was kind of novel for the time, it released within the first year of the 360 coming out, (and unlike the Xbox, the 360 sold really well) it felt nice to play, and it was a multiplayer game. That’s the secret to its success. It was a game you and your friends could sit around and play. Also the sequel was 100 times better than the original. The main game of Gears of War 2 was vastly better than the original, and it added Horde Mode, which at the time was a pretty big deal. If the second Gears of War hadn’t been the huge improvement it was, the series would’ve probably faded way before Epic quit working on it.

Being released by Microsoft I’m sure didn’t hurt things either. Like if Microsoft was pushing Earth Defense Force 2017 back in 2006, and anyone actual covered it, I’m sure that game could’ve been a hit too. Maybe not Gears big, but bigger than it was then, or is today.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom