Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Gears Tactics - turn-based tactics prequel to Gears of War

Trash Player

Scholar
This one strikes me as a post-XCOM version of Incubation. Weird enough, some big action franchises do have a record of original and experimental strategy/tactics spinoffs.
MGS has ACID series on PSP, Prince of Persia has Battles of~ on NDS. These all have card game elements and some more rare or even unique mechanics.
I am amazed how the devs managed to pitch to the suits. "XCOM but Gears and mission-based campaign"? Sounds like a flop or at best a lukewarm indie success.

Perkel

Arcane
The moment you learn that game uses action point system instead of that retarded one turn one action system from nuXcom...

raw

Codex Year of the Donut
ss.jpg

Guessing each class has its own skill tree considering this seems to be tailored to support(Gabe's class)?
This could actually end up being pretty good :M

5 classes according to the video above this post, and yes it appears they each get their own skill tree
snapshot.jpg
amusingly, the screenshot has Gabe and Sid listed twice

Last edited:

Saduj

Arcane
So even a shit strategy layer automatically makes for a better tactics game than something like Silent Storm?

:hmmm:

I'm kinda curious what distinctions there are between "Heroes" and "Troops". I assume heroes are your story dorks and you'll get a mission over if one dies, but troops are disposable nerds you pick up and can press on when they die. Which begs the question do heroes have better stats than troops? And if so, how does the game discourage having an a-team that you take on every single mission since they're the best at everything? Does look interesting though, even if it wasn't cheap-as-free game pass I'd probably keep half an eye on it.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm kinda curious what distinctions there are between "Heroes" and "Troops". I assume heroes are your story dorks and you'll get a mission over if one dies, but troops are disposable nerds you pick up and can press on when they die. Which begs the question do heroes have better stats than troops? And if so, how does the game discourage having an a-team that you take on every single mission since they're the best at everything? Does look interesting though, even if it wasn't cheap-as-free game pass I'd probably keep half an eye on it.

From the info they says heroes are pre-defined special characters and if they die you get a game over. You can customise their armour and weapon but can't change their look and gender. Troops can die and you can change how they look and choose what gender they are. Hero unit might have some unique skills, for example Sid can intimate enemies but I'm not sure whether that's uniqueor just his class ability.

From the info they says heroes are pre-defined special characters and if they die you get a game over. You can customise their armour and weapon but can't change their look and gender. Troops can die and you can change how they look and choose what gender they are. Hero unit might have some unique skills, for example Sid can intimate enemies but I'm not sure whether that's uniqueor just his class ability.
The weird part then is it seems like you're fairly heavily incentivized to take a lot of troops then, since if you take losses you can press on if they're functionally identical.

jf8350143

Liturgist

The weird part then is it seems like you're fairly heavily incentivized to take a lot of troops then, since if you take losses you can press on if they're functionally identical.
In the side quest maybe, the main quest will require the hero unit to show up because of story reasons.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-the-fight-against-the-locust-goes-turn-based

Gears Tactics review - brains and brawn join forces as the fight against the Locust goes turn-based
Fenix point.

A competent tactical retooling of the Gears formula, even if the execution isn't always spot-on.

Gears of War has always been built around its cover system, with almost 15 years experience when it comes to squeezing its muscled heroes behind bits of wall, or whatever's at hand, as they exchange fire with their equally muscled, subterrestrial counterparts. Once slotted into place, it's then been up to the player to figure out how to gain the upper hand, perhaps lobbing a grenade to push enemies out of cover, or rushing forward to take advantage of an exposed flank. When described in these sorts of terms, it makes sense that the Gears series would eventually dip its considerable toes into the world of turn-based strategy, but how well does it actually translate?

Eager to answer that question for us, Tactics is very quick to reintroduce another Gears of War staple: executions. Things may be a little slower paced here, but look, you can still chainsaw people in half! Downing an enemy will occasionally see them drop to their knees, allowing one of your bulky lads to jog over and bash their head in with a pistol, or gut them with a bayonet. As a visual spectacle, I'm a little less excited about this than I might have been in 2006, but as a game mechanic, let me tell you, executions allow for some brilliant decision making. That's a very odd sentence to have typed out. Let me explain.

In Gears Tactics, each soldier in your squad has a handful of action points to spend per turn, whether that's through moving, taking shots or using abilities. Once everyone's out of actions, the bad guys get their go. It's standard stuff. Landing an execution, however, changes things. Once you've finished beating the poor Locust to death with their own limbs, your entire squad (aside from the one performing the execution) is rewarded with an additional action point. There are even times where you'll be able to chain a string of executions together and essentially double the number of actions you were meant to take that turn. This alters the game in a pretty significant way.

jpg

For a start, it means that Tactics is able to pit you against many more enemies than you'd typically expect. The odds are often stacked against you, quite considerably, with the hopes that you can claw your way back into control with a few well-timed decapitations. The first time this really clicked into place for me was during an early mission in which my squad was surrounded by Wretches, a fairly weak enemy type that can prove deadly when encountered in large numbers. With his last available action, Sid Redburn (one of the game's named heroes) managed to execute a nearby Drone and in doing so, gifted his squadmates a fresh round of actions. This allowed another soldier to revive a downed teammate, which proved crucial, as she was the one carrying the frag grenade that could deal with the Wretches before they descended upon my squad. What a hero!

The right execution at the right time can sometimes turn around even the most doomed situations and these moments are the game at its very best. If you've played Into The Breach (and you should, it's superb) you'll likely recognise this sensation, as you suddenly glimpse a way out of what seemed like the most impossible scenario just moments beforehand.

Aside from these Eureka-worthy executions, much of the Gears Tactics experience in combat borrows heavily from the Firaxis XCOM games. Your squad may enter the battlefield courtesy of an armoured car rather than a Skyranger, but the end result is a similar one. You'll take and miss shots, you'll use Overwatch (albeit this time with cones of vision!), you'll complete objectives and race to evacuate before being overrun. There's some fun reimagining of the Gears weapons and abilities (the bayonet charge remains a highlight, even here), but I do wish the enemy units had more to offer. Unlike XCOM, where every alien usually has a couple of different tricks up their sleeve, here, your opponents feel more limited.

jpg

Compare the Sectoids of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with the Drones of Gears Tactics, for example. Both units can move, open fire and set up overwatch, but on top of this, XCOM's Sectoids might use suppressive fire to pin one of your soldiers in place, or merge minds with another alien, improving their stats but also exposing them to further danger. They're both units that you'll encounter frequently throughout their respective campaigns, but one is quite a bit more interesting than the other. This comparison can be felt across many of the Gears Tactics enemies, unfortunately.

The exception to that rule comes with the boss fights at the end of each Act, in which you're pitted against some of the more deadly monsters of the Gears universe. Brumaks and Corpsers, the big guns. These fights offer much more variety, with multiple attack types that'll force you to keep moving your units and scramble to new cover as you chip away at an intimidatingly large health bar. Boss fights can work in the turn-based space, says Gears Tactics, and I'm inclined to agree.

Outside of the missions themselves, Gears does drift away from the XCOM formula more substantially, opting to do away with base building, research and the strategy layer all together. Your soldiers still level up and unlock new abilities, but their weapon and equipment upgrades are found in crates that you'll need to pick up during missions, or earn as rewards for completing optional objectives. There are no microtransactions here, but these crates still carry with them the distinct feeling of loot boxes, even down to the opening animations.
Some of you may be delighted to hear that you won't need to research new weapons or hire engineers to create them for your squad, but these colour-coded crates never feel like much of a replacement. Although I appreciated the added incentive they provided to take risks during the missions themselves, opening them and sorting through all of the various weapon attachments I'd unlocked afterwards tended to feel like a chore. I never felt any real ownership over what I found inside, I suppose that's the real problem. These weren't weapons or armour I'd set out to craft, it was just another scope or rifle barrel that I'd found in a loot box, seemingly at random.

The campaign is separated into story missions that need to be completed and side missions that you're able to choose between. These side trips often present some of the more interesting setups, as they'll come with their own modifiers like +100 per cent damage from Wretches, or increased movement range for your squad. You're also limited by the fact that you can't take the same team with you for every mission as sometimes they'll need to rest, or you won't have access to a certain character for narrative reasons. This means you'll need to recruit enough units to flesh out a small roster and then switch between them as you go.

In theory, most of your soldiers should be the run-of-the-mill Gears who've been recruited along the way and as is now the norm in the world of turn-based tactics, you're able to customise these men and women to your heart's content, with different names, armour and colour schemes... only to see them die permanently should you put them in harm's way.

jpg

But in practice, it's the game's hero units that always matter the most. They have to survive for your campaign to continue (forcing you to restart missions if they die), as they're key to its storyline and you'll usually be required to bring some of them with you on most missions. This means there'll be at the very top of your priority list when it comes to which soldiers you'll want to focus on leveling up and kitting out. In fact, given that I'd also received Augustus Cole (AKA The Cole Train) as a pre-order bonus, I rarely used more than one or two non-hero units in my squad at any one time, as I felt it'd be a waste of experience points to do so. I can't help but wonder if I'd have had more fun managing my squad, mixing and matching the different classes, if there had been no 'heroes' whatsoever. At least it would have felt like a choice I was making.

As for the storyline itself, Gears Tactics is a prequel to the original Gears of War, set 12 years before anyone has decided to pull Marcus Fenix out of jail. Actually, I suppose he's not in jail yet, is he? Lucky him! You're tasked with hunting down a Locust scientist, "a monster who makes monsters", and there's some mystery to the politics surrounding this whole operation, but I found it all quite uninspired in the end. Your squad jumps between trust and distrust of one another with alarming frequency, with the end result being that none of it feels particularly genuine.

There are moments in which Tactics does manage to be the successful marriage between Gears of War and XCOM that you might have hoped for, but as a whole package, I'm not convinced it's ever quite as good as that. I applaud it for experimenting with some brand new ideas, as well as providing another solid entry point into the turn-based strategy genre for those who've not been convinced in the past. But with the likes of Enemy Unknown and XCOM 2 having paved the way before this, Tactics had some big shoes to fill and not even Sid Redburn (who looks to be a size 16, at least) could quite manage it for me. But that execution mechanic! What a fantastic idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/gears-tactics-review/

GEARS TACTICS REVIEW
A fantastic tactical combat system translates Gears of War into a strategy game worthy of the PC.

Gears Tactics and I share the belief that a sniper rifle should practically be an extension of the hand of god, so powerful that it feels like you're being unfair to the poor AI grunts who wander into range. Twenty hours into my campaign my sniper's hotbar was overflowing with abilities. I could fire off something like 7 rounds in a single turn, chaining together shots that gave me free reloads and shots that restocked my pool of action points. And because I'd completed some hard side missions in search of "legendary" loot, my sniper rifle was tuned up with parts that guaranteed—to use the technical term—a sick-nasty critical hit rate.

Taking aim at the final boss with 85 percent crit chance almost felt like cheating. This is the power fantasy version of a tactics game, and pure, pitch-perfect Gears of War, right down to the cranial pop of a Longshot sniper rifle's bullet landing a critical headshot.

Like the third-person shooters of the proper Gears series, Tactics has a linear campaign, told with very pretty Unreal Engine-powered cutscenes between missions. It's easily the best-looking tactics game I've played, thanks to those cutscenes and fastidiously detailed environments. The series is mostly known for its macho, impossibly barrel-chested soldiers, but it has had some great art direction here and there—grand classical architecture ravaged by years of war. It's hard to oversell how precisely this game translates the look and combat feel other Gears games into this overhead turn-based perspective, down to the magnetizing slide into cover that characters make.

Gears Tactics is an aggressive strategy game that throws piles of enemies at you, because it knows just how powerful the tools at your disposal are. It knows you've got frag grenades that can turn a pack of five scurrying wretches into chicken nuggets, or a chainsaw gun that has a 100-percent chance to slice even a full-health Locust soldier in half. (I like to imagine that the chainsaw's lengthy cooldown isn't because it's overpowered, but because my hero, Gabe Diaz, has to spend the next few turns scraping bone chunks and viscera out of the blades).

While it first looks an awful lot like XCOM, which has inspired a wave of strategy games this decade, Gears Tactics plays differently. Every turn in XCOM is about the tension of how few moves you can make, the dramatic risk of missing a single shot and scrambling for a backup plan. Gears is more freeform, giving each of the four soldiers you take into a mission three actions per turn; any combination of moving, shooting, and special abilities you want. Every time one of your soldiers performs an execution move on a near-death enemy, the rest of the squad gets an extra action point for the turn, the game design equivalent of a platoon shouting Hooah!

These two things give Gears Tactics a remarkably different flavor: You're not trying to make the best of your meager options each turn. You're trying to extend your turn as long as possible, every kill offering up the opportunity to earn three more actions, and another kill, and three more actions, until everything lies dead at your feet. I love how it makes every turn an exciting chance to clear the whole screen of enemies in one go, and it pushes me to experiment with how I combine my squad's many abilities.

Gears Tactics does lose the sharp edge of danger XCOM has, where dealing with units dying through the campaign is arguably a feature. Unless you play on the highest difficulty setting in Gears, you can revive soldiers multiple times, and on the recommended intermediate setting there was only one time in my entire campaign where I came close to permanently losing someone. That was a thrill. If you're not playing on Insane, you probably won't care much about the stream of recruits that join your squad, though the option does exist to give them custom names and makeovers, if you want to.

I think the developers could've made revives stricter to get back some of that risk, but for the most part I enjoyed being challenged by a tactics game without constantly feeling stressed. Gears trades away a bit of tension and gains some welcome speed and flexibility in its place.

For example, the support class can gift an action point to a squadmate, and I love pairing that with another ability, Teamwork, that earns the support soldier an action back each time that squadmate gets a kill. It's like placing a bet on a particular soldier—yeah, they're definitely gonna kick some ass this turn—and then trying to follow through. My preferred strategy is to cast Teamwork on my scout right before she tosses a frag grenade into a pile of Locust for a couple guaranteed kills (and guaranteed action points).

Gears Tactics builds on its executions really, really well through class skills and its take on overwatch, a skill popularized by XCOM that lets you fire on enemies when they move. Put a Gear on overwatch with three actions banked up and they can fire three times. But enemies use overwatch aggressively, too, to pin down your squad. Gears' freeform action system is more forgiving than XCOM's, but it often sets up these puzzles for you to get out of, where two members of your squad can't move without getting shot to pieces, and the other two have to kill the overwatching Locust to free them up to use those actions safely.

Each of the five classes—support, vanguard, scout, heavy, and sniper—have many skills that play into the action system in clever ways. The sniper can keep taking more shots by getting kills. The heavy, who carries a massive chain gun and stacks accuracy bonuses for standing still and firing multiple turns in a row, can earn an extra action point for going into overwatch, making it the perfect defensive class. The vanguard has tools to knock enemies out of overwatch, encouraging you to keep pushing forward.

Even 20 hours in, when I started getting tired of Gears Tactics' repetitive structure, I was still having a good time with those moment-to-moment decisions and all the ways my squad could work together.

On the campaign trail
Where Gears Tactics diverges most dramatically from XCOM is its linear campaign, with no "meta" strategy layer to manage. This is not a sandbox experience. There's no world map where you choose locations to visit, no researching new gears, no gameplay systems to interact with outside of combat. This largely works for Gears Tactics: It is a straightforward game, and the depth and creativity of its combat system shows the benefits of where it focused. But it unfortunately means repeat playthroughs will present a mostly identical challenge. And I found that without some of that meta strategy to change up how I was spending my time, the campaign started to drag by the end.

Each of the campaign's three acts ends with a setpiece boss battle, which is an exciting thing to have in a tactics game. Unfortunately all three bosses use essentially the same mechanics and they don't change throughout the fights. The bosses also have giant health pools, so after five minutes you've seen all the boss has to offer but likely still have another 30 minutes of health to chip away at.

Between campaign missions, Gears Tactics pads out its running time with side missions that you have to complete before continuing the story. Towards the end these feel like a slog because you have to do a lot of them, and the linear structure doesn't let you pick and choose when you want to do them—they're purely a roadblock to progress. In an RPG or even in XCOM, which is more open-ended, I can set the pacing myself, taking on side missions in between major battles.

This frustration is exacerbated by how thin the narrative is for some of the campaign. I took on a side mission where I held a pair of control points against waves of Locust attacks, then ended up doing the exact same thing in my next story mission, with just a couple lines of dialogue added to the latter. The same basic mission types are repeated many times by the end, which would be fine for the side missions if the campaign didn't also fall back on using them too. The cutscenes look great, but the story is frontloaded and especially stretched out in the third act. A few more unique setpieces would've helped there.

Already I'm hoping for a Gears Tactics 2, because you can see the promise of its foundation: The combat, the skill system, and the top-notch presentation, which made me feel much more involved in the action than the usual puppet master up in the clouds.

The skill trees for each class branch into four specialties, but you can freely choose how to mix those skills to create a more hybrid build. The shotgun-toting scout, for example, can head towards the Raider speciality and focus on pure shotgun damage output, with a powerful Rampage skill that will keep targeting new enemies as long as each shot brings one down. Or they can spec towards Commando, which opens up a super useful proximity mine and increases explosives damage. But a lot of great skills lie in between the specializations, like buffs to the scout's cloak ability that lets you slip through enemy overwatch unseen.

Most of my characters ended up hybrids that maxed out only one skill tree, and as I recruited new soldiers that were specced differently I kept finding fun new skill combos I hadn't used yet. Weapon customization, which lets you swap out gun parts with better pieces you'll find scattered throughout campaign levels, ties nicely into the skill system, buffing overwatch damage, or increasing movement range, or lowering cooldowns on grenades. "Legendary" rarity parts are typically rewards for difficult optional mission objectives and they're satisfying to earn, because you know they'll come with some big stat perks.

Like the pacing of the campaign, Gears Tactics' loot system does lose its charm towards the end. With piles of similar gear that stopped being fun to sort through, I lost interest in going out of my way during missions to pick up more cases.

Gears Tactics' structure couldn't quite sustain the 25 hours or so it took me to get through the campaign, but slap the combat into a sequel with a couple more strategic systems that balance out the variety and pacing, and I'd honestly rather play it over XCOM, a recommendation I never expected I'd make.

THE VERDICT

GEARS TACTICS
Clever combat abilities and brutal executions translate Gears of War into a deep, fast-paced strategy game.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Haha, Insane difficulty in this game is actually insane. I am just watching some streamers get owned over and over :D

Silva

Arcane
Infinitron said:
On the campaign trail

Where Gears Tactics diverges most dramatically from XCOM is its linear campaign, with no "meta" strategy layer to manage. This is not a sandbox experience. There's no world map where you choose locations to visit, no researching new gears, no gameplay systems to interact with outside of combat. This largely works for Gears Tactics: It is a straightforward game, and the depth and creativity of its combat system shows the benefits of where it focused. But it unfortunately means repeat playthroughs will present a mostly identical challenge. And I found that without some of that meta strategy to change up how I was spending my time, the campaign started to drag by the end.

Each of the campaign's three acts ends with a setpiece boss battle, which is an exciting thing to have in a tactics game. Unfortunately all three bosses use essentially the same mechanics and they don't change throughout the fights. The bosses also have giant health pools, so after five minutes you've seen all the boss has to offer but likely still have another 30 minutes of health to chip away at.
Lol what a piece of shit. :lol:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty hefty at 69.99 euros on Steam. Thankfully I can try it out on Game Pass but no way in hell Im buying it at this pricepoint.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Game is worth $5 and not a penny more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom