Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Gears Tactics - turn-based tactics prequel to Gears of War

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Can you fully customize your squad? I have no interest in playing a bunch of boomers and niggers

orcinator

Liturgist
There's some assistance mode for blinds where a robot reads out all the ability descriptions.
I'm watching a streamer and the robot just goes HELP HELP HELP EXECUTION HELP HELP EXECUTION EXECUTION OVERWATCH
Pretty good game.

34scell

Augur
Codex: Everythings a cover based shooter decline popamole trash

also codex: lol full price for a turn based game

There's some assistance mode for blinds where a robot reads out all the ability descriptions.
I'm watching a streamer and the robot just goes HELP HELP HELP EXECUTION HELP HELP EXECUTION EXECUTION OVERWATCH
Pretty good game.
That's a curious decision. I assume it's more for people who hate reading, but it's also a turn based tactics game so I doubt that's going to make a difference. Sounds like there's no strategic layer which isn't too surprising since they didn't say anything about it, sounds like a normal campaign of missions and then some optional side missions for more XP and loot. Still makes Xcom more appealing but assuming the missions are well made and there's good variety in character builds I'm still on board. Got it preloaded and will take a peek when it goes live. Haven't been watching streams or anything but the tiny little bit I've seen looks like I'll have a good time. I saw you can pick up loot boxes in the missions to get new pieces of equipment which is nice, but I'm not sure if you have to scum it by keeping enemies alive to finish looting a map or if it's timed like the... Uh... One shit in the Xcom EU expansion. Forget what it was called, or if it all auto-loots on mission completion.

Also codex: lol bad writing in this $10 turn based game

True monocles will only accept a game if it's a masterpiece in all areas, costs $5, and has AAA graphics but can run on 10 year old hardware running Windows 98. NEVER ACCEPT DECLINE. THAT'S HOW THEY GET YOU. +M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is released.

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1184050/view/2188129923772702884

Gears Tactics Out Now!

Gears Tactics is “Excellent,” Now Available for PC
f4bfa5d00c797621f0cd1abee5b6bab02c3b36df.jpg

Today, a new chapter in the Gears saga begins with the launch of Gears Tactics, a fast-paced, turn-based strategy game developed from the ground up for PC, now available with Xbox Game Pass for PC (Beta), Steam and Windows 10 PC.

Gears Tactics has garnered praise from media reviews: PC Gamer and 3DJuegos lauded the title for merging the core gameplay mechanics of the genre with the action-packed intensity and signature tone of Gears of War. Similar sentiment was shared by USgamer who praised Gears Tactics for having a strong narrative focus interwoven into the campaign, while GameSpot and Game Informer further celebrated the title as distinctly Gears, as the latter opined it to be a great fit for the tactics genre. Reviews also underlined how well Gears Tactics plays, with IGN stating that “Gears Tactics is an excellent turn-based tactics game” and PC Gamer highlighting how Gears Tactics is a “deep, fast-paced strategy game.”

d430967ab24c0bb224a7e64cb6df9d3b5b7a6d42.png

Set 12 years before the first Gears of War, Gears Tactics sees cities across the planet Sera beginning to fall to the monstrous threat rising from underground – the Locust Horde. With the government in disarray, commandeer a squad of survivors led by Gabe Diaz as humanity’s last hope. Customize your squad’s loadout and equipment as you take on a desperate mission to hunt down the relentless and powerful leader of the Locust army: Ukkon, the evil mastermind who makes monsters.

Play Gears Tactics before May 4 to receive the Thrashball Cole Character Pack which includes Augustus Cole as a recruit and the Thrashball Armor Set, complete with rare abilities. If you’re new to Xbox Game Pass, you can get your first month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate with all the benefits of Xbox Live Gold, and access to over 100 great games for console and PC, for just $1 USD.

05876a464788c4fa94a38aa28c9d0e1523f03807.jpg

Series fans will want to check out “Gears of War: Bloodlines,” the new novel by New York Times bestselling author Jason Hough, that sets the stage for the events of Gears 5 and Gears Tactics, and the father-daughter relationship between the respective games’ leads, Kait and Gabe Diaz. “Gears of War: Bloodlines“ is now available in paperback, ebook and audiobook.

For those interested in going behind the scenes with the artists and developers, ”Gears Tactics: The Art of the Game“ tracks the entire development process from concept sketches to final production art. “Gears Tactics: The Art of the Game” is available today from Titan Books.

Want to know more about Gears Tactics before diving in? Check out our Developer Blogs right here on Steam!

Played the first tutorial mission, s'ok. Was heavily scripted of course since it's explaining the basics, but gave a good impression. Some things I'm not entirely positive on like when you set overwatch the UI clearly shows some areas in the targeting cone slightly crossed out, so I think there's granularity to it if it's an overwatch shot on a target that's moving behind pieces of clutter on the map but isn't actually in cover. You get a good breakdown of bonuses and penalties when you're taking shots on your turn, but overwatch of course is a bit of a mystery. Of the first two classes (Support and vanguard) vanguard's abilities sounds suspiciously shit except for potentially an endcap passive that gives flat +25% damage each time an ally took damage during the last turn stacking up to 4 times, an extra action point if an ally is downed, and 3 action points if an ally dies. That may not sound as good at first glance, but it feels like damage may be less chunky in this so allies taking light potshots regularly is looking plausible, and flat damage boosts to everything you do rather than being tied to something with a cooldown looks unusual.

'course all of this could be hilariously wrong since that was just the tutorial, but hey. I'm also fearing when boomers show up if the benchmark is anything to go by. Movement speed is tolerable when units are shuffling around but the boomer in the benchmark waddles at a glacial pace, which they do in the normal games I think but that's obnoxious as hell in a turn based game when you're just jerking yourself off for 10 seconds while his movement animation's going. Not Fallout levels of misery but could be annoying unless the benchmark's a special case.

ALSO before I forget, cover is destructible and missed shots can hit nearby targets. Took potshots at some orcs hiding behind furniture and it completely broke and left 'em exposed, and shot at one hiding in a group of grots, missed the orc, and still damaged a grot. Sturdier stuff like ubiquitous chest-high concrete walls don't look like they break under regular fire but they take some nice enough looking cosmetic damage and crumble a little, haven't thrown a grenade at one yet since the grenades are on a long enough cooldown (But infinite, apparenlty) that you want to be a little sparing with them.

I don't really play action games that much, but I also never really understand the complaint about "cover based shooter". What is the complaint? How is this an issue? What is the alternative? Are you really going to run around in a shooter not getting behind cover? Seems stupid. If I am being shot at, I am looking for cover, seems like a sensible and realistic thing to do if being shot at...

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't really play action games that much, but I also never really understand the complaint about "cover based shooter". What is the complaint? How is this an issue? What is the alternative? Are you really going to run around in a shooter not getting behind cover? Seems stupid. If I am being shot at, I am looking for cover, seems like a sensible and realistic thing to do if being shot at...

I think the issue is the popamole-type game like Gears of War, where you camp in cover and wait for an enemies to appear from behind their cover to shoot them.

sser

Arcane
Developer
So how intrusive is this Xbox Live shit? I don't own an Xbox so I'm wondering do I still have to log into Xbox Live from my very much not Xbox piece of hardware?

Few missions in and the damage is much more noticeable on friendlies, playing on one down from the hardest on difficulty. Your dudes aren't as spongey as I thought. The heavy class seems nice, the minigun doesn't do massively more damage (On level 1 characters) than a normal rifle, but the more they fire without moving the more damage and more accurate they get. The scout class seems like the worst of the bunch at level 1 having the ability to cloak briefly and use a shotgun, but scout also looks to have some really juicy skills when leveled up that let you throw grenades and plant mines while stealthed and remaining stealthed. As for enemy types, run into a bare-chested orc with more HP that goes berserk when he takes damage and then can soak even MORE damage. Haven't found a good way to cleanly deal with them yet other than unloading an unreasonable amount of fire at it. Also want to compliment the overwatch system, because all unspent AP are another shot in overwatch, so if a wave of enemies spawns in and you just tell all your dudes to overwatch in their direction you can have a brutal hail of bullets on the enemy turn. Especially good against the goblins that try to run up to you in melee and tend to come in swarms, just prepare for them and spend a lot of AP overwatching to deal with them as they charge in. Currently feel like it isn't as good as Xcom 2, but I also feel like Xcom 2's the king of this and even like it more than Jagged Alliance and X-com so I'm compromised. Even not as good I'm having a good time with it.

So how intrusive is this Xbox Live shit? I don't own an Xbox so I'm wondering do I still have to log into Xbox Live from my very much not Xbox piece of hardware?
Not intrusive at all. You have to be running Windows 10 of course, but even playing it on game pass for Windows I just had to have the "Xbox app" running to install the game and I can launch it with it closed even though it's just rented and not purchased. Still connecting to the associated Microsoft account but whatever it needs to do to phone home it can do in Windows without having the client/store up.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Not intrusive at all. You have to be running Windows 10 of course, but even playing it on game pass for Windows I just had to have the "Xbox app" running to install the game and I can launch it with it closed even though it's just rented and not purchased. Still connecting to the associated Microsoft account but whatever it needs to do to phone home it can do in Windows without having the client/store up.

Wait GamePass is $1. Were you able to signup and download this shit for a buck?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Pretty good so far. It seems to be a mix of simulated projectiles and nuXcom style of shooting. Like if someone stands close, or behind an enemy bullets can hit them too, and that also goes for friendlies. Took a while for the brain to register that. Like an overwatch can hit your own men so you have to spread out and make sure you don't trap any of your own men in the cone. I'm playing on hard and the game feels hard. On mission 3 or 4 I got overwhelmed by the mutants and had to fall back. I had to use actual retreat-tactics with one guy constantly covering the retreat. It felt thrilling!

The overwatch system is cool. Instead of taking one shot at an enemy, soldiers take shots at everyone that comes into their cone of view depending on remaining action points and ammo. Certain enemies move at the same time so it looks awesome when everyone opens up on the incoming hordes. In other words, it's damn fun to set up your killboxes. Both you and the enemy can power through an overwatch, but there is a risk for an interrupt (or gruesome end). I saved one of my men from certain death from a shotgunner storming him with overwatch. The shirtless mutant almost made it but a hail of bullets eventually stopped him in his tracks. It might not sound like much but it looked cool watching the shotgunner running at my dude slowly getting wittered down by bullets. Satisfying.

There is a ton of perks and loot. You can upgrade your armor and weapons with different functions. There is the basic scopes that gives 10+ aim but there is also special stuff that gives you interrupts etc. You get hero characters and if they die it's game over but you also get randoms that you can customize a bit. Those dudes are allowed to die. When they get shot and lose all their HP they go into "crawling-death" mode and if an enemy is close they might stomp his lights out for good. They can do this in the same turn so there is no graze period to save your man. It can get nasty quick!

The story... it's the usual stuff. Bad mutant does bad things, you have to get revenge and on the way you meet different characters. I'm at the obligatory badass black women™ that calls everyone fascists because why not? :)

Can't go wrong for 1 euro. Might add that the animations are smooth as butter. Every action your little soldiers can do are perfectly animated.

Wait GamePass is $1. Were you able to signup and download this shit for a buck?
Yes. You can only play it for as long as gamepass is running of course, not sure if you could cheat extra time by blocking/firewalling it from calling home or yanking or network cable or whatever, but you absolutely can subscribe for a dollar and play. They even let you preload it like 2-3 weeks ago. I don't think I'd keep a subscription running normally, but since I scrape together Microsoft store credit anyway it's essentially free and it's fairly impressive. And if you look at it like a game rental, $1-5 for a month long rental is damn good.

Multi-headed Cow whats so good abt xcom2 you reckon? Its the pinnacle for you for this type of game? Better than JA thats a big call
I really like the deterministic and gamey nature of it. As much as it gets memed for 95% shots missing, there's a massive amount of controllable risk in it. More than most other tactics games, I feel. Even with Gears as an example here, it feels like there's a wider spread on potential damage on top of just regular hit/crit chances. Like earlier I shot a dude and nearly killed him, he was at 16hp out of 700 or so. Had a guy pull a pistol out thinking (Maybe incorrectly, haven't checked yet. Was rushing there since it was the last enemy as I was getting to the exit) it would be more accurate. Shot at him, only got a grazing shot which did the least amount of damage I've seen in the game yet, 6. So he had a sliver of health bar so thin you couldn't even really see it and I still did such a fractional amount of damage that it didn't kill him. Xcom 2's smaller health totals and more swingy abilities mean you don't get situations like that as often. That's also just the most general thing I like, but I also appreciate how most of the missions are timed so you have to think on your feet and haul ass rather than overwatch crawling, I like how there are multiple viable ways to build each class, I like how the strategic layer is handled, I like the procedurally generated maps that will use key components for story missions but still build the bulk of the map, etc. There's very little about it I dislike, though it is more gamey-feeling than a lot of other tactics games, so I do appreciate some people may enjoy tacticool games where it feels more grounded rather than using your laser-machete and teleporting behind an alien before tipping your fedora, but I dig it.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Got the Xbox Pass for $1 to try this thing. After playing for a few hours, all I can say is it's an inferior XCOM 2. It offers nothing new, and it obviously has less content, less classes and customization, no strategic map, and a shit story. Production values are great tho, with good animations, nice graphics and good perfomance. If you have XCOM2 don't bother with this

I think the issue is the popamole-type game like Gears of War, where you camp in cover and wait for an enemies to appear from behind their cover to shoot them.
I see. I don't really play games like that so I honestly don't know what the complaints about it refer to, but I have seen that type of game play now that you mention it, and yes that does seem degenerative. Especially if it is a an online game with lots of people and they just memorize maps.

I once watched world of tanks for like 10 minutes and it was like 20 tanks rushing to this one rock formation on a hill where they proceeded to bounce around taking pot shots at 'newbs' who did not know what the fuck was going on as they got picked off. It looked so dumb......a bunch of tigers and IS2, and random tanks all running into each other in some sort of feeding frenzy from the 'perfect vantage point', all because they memorized a map. Retarded as fuck. Decided I would never play it.

jf8350143

Liturgist
As far as I can tell, you can't change the face and gender of your soldiers, only their name, hair style and some accessories. And the amount of accessories in the game is pathetic, four hats, two tattoos, 1 bandanna, one pair of glasses, one eye patch and that's it.

Unless you can unlock more later, otherwise I don't see the point of having these in the first place.

On the other hand, the game play is really solid. And pretty hard too. But the enemy spamming overwatch every turn and the only way to interrupt their overwatch is your special pistol shot which might miss and has an extremely long cool down is pretty retarded.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Got the Xbox Pass for $1 to try this thing. After playing for a few hours, all I can say is it's an inferior XCOM 2. It offers nothing new, and it obviously has less content, less classes and customization, no strategic map, and a shit story. Production values are great tho, with good animations, nice graphics and good perfomance. If you have XCOM2 don't bother with this

I agree. After playing some more, the presentation, animation and the combat gameplay loop is top notch I think. But everything else surrounding it is boring as hell. The strategic part is really missing. There is no base, nothing to build to, and the side missions feels gamey and tacked on (kinda reminds me of the side-missions for Chaos Gate for some reason). I mean they have modifiers in them, and it's just explained like that. Not - the grubs have used magical healing crystals for this mission so they are stronger... no, it just straight up says modifiers. Units will be so and so much more lethal. It just takes me out of it.

Another thing from playing Xcom 2 in that game I really wanted to get that sweet loot at the risk of my soldiers (especially in Long War 2), but here I couldn't care less to be honest. I mean sure, it's good to get cool new stuff, but that building up part is missing. Oh well, one buck. I stand by that the combat feels good though, just a shame that its all there is.

randir14

Augur
This game rapes Phoenix Point

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom