Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Gears Tactics - turn-based tactics prequel to Gears of War

Brumak fight was a big ol' pain in the ass on hard. In fairly large part because I got rammy with my story critical dude early in the mission, because the way enemies had been placecd previously led me to believe I'd be safe. I wasn't. So he was down to a single square of health so basically if he took ANY damage in the brumak fight he was dead. Also brought my overwatch-specced heavy with me on the mission which was a poor choice as it turned out for how the brumak fight worked. Took a few tries but I did manage to pull it off though. Interesting, but the only part that really made it a hassle was the e-holes which annoyed me since your guy makes a point of saying "WELL AT LEAST THERE WON'T BE ANY E-HOLES" earlier in the mission. Pretty steep jump in difficulty in that compared to every other mission but again, it's because I was too lazy to restart the whole thing and just restarted the boss fight with my dude at 1 life. Got too zealous rushing and executing orcs.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Interesting, but the only part that really made it a hassle was the e-holes

You could've handled them by placing grenades or throwing mines (if you have scout specced for it) This way E-hole will be closed as soon as it opened stopping even the first wave. After that Brumak was a pushover for me.
OFC don't do that in normal missions, because that'll mean loss of sweet XP.

Interesting, but the only part that really made it a hassle was the e-holes

You could've handled them by placing grenades or throwing mines (if you have scout specced for it) This way E-hole will be closed as soon as it opened stopping even the first wave. After that Brumak was a pushover for me.
OFC don't do that in normal missions, because that'll mean loss of sweet XP.
Didn't have a scout with me, but when you say placing grenades can you place a grenade on top of an e-hole before it opens and that immediately closes it? I didn't know that, I thought you had to wait for them to crack open so your best bet is just overwatching it to blast what pops out THEN chucking a nade in. Definitely would've smoothed the mission over a lot. I ended up placing a grenade, retreating my wounded dork, then focusing down one hole as the other kept spamming. Turns out they stop spawning after 2-3 waves and seal up, and it worked better to just let the brumak stomp around throwing a fit on one side of the arena as the other side dealt with the holes.

Definitely going to have to remember that though. Even losing some XP can be worth it if things are looking hairy.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
but when you say placing grenades can you place a grenade on top of an e-hole before it opens and that immediately closes it?

Yup works like that, tried it first at that mission. 2 of them holes opened at the same time at my first try which resulted in defeat so I had to improvise a bit. I love when games reward logical thinking.
Demo scouts just makes the whole game easier. Grenades and mines have seperate cooldowns which can be reduced by just shooting stuff.

Also heavies got explosive shot, it sounds helluva nice on paper. But I only managed to use if successfuly 2 times (two) in the whole campaign...

Codex Year of the Donut
Is this actually beatable on insane? The damage you do is low and accuracy is always incredibly low. I can unload a full scout shotgun with 3AP onto an enemy right infront of me and if I'm lucky, get it to half health.

urmom

Learned
How is the level design in this game? Does it feel real and alive? Or does it feel like make-believe just so devs can place a piece of tactical cover here, a convenient barrel of exploding oil there, etc. etc. ? (It's harder to find fault in 2D games.)

Last edited:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
this cant hold my interest. Itemization is so bland it should be scrubbed.
Whats the deal with unlimited grenades? Not only that, enemies seem to conveniently hug together to keep warm. Also that class which can reduce cooldowns.
Add chainsaw rush to the mix and each of your unit is perfect ranged, grenadier AND melee?
Awfully often i get a bug that doesnt allow me to switch units(tab or mouse clicks) so I have to reboot and watch a lot of cutscenes again.

i remember playing first gears... or maybe 2nd? Anyway ammo and grenades were hard to get by - I liked that a lot. Instead of having unlimited they should have gone instead for scrubbing supplies from those supply chests in order to keep going.

The item upgrades are incredibly boring, the game clearly would be better without them. Also, I don't get why you are even supposed to hire addtional gears. I think they should've stuck with just a core of four named gears instead. The idea of searching for ammo is interesting, grenades feel incredibly strong on normal even though they have a long cool down. Still, I kind of like this game, even though it is shallow and a bit dumb. At least you don't miss enemies directly in front of you all the time and don't get your soldiers perma-killed by a lucky crit even though they are in full cover (looking at you, X-COM).

Ebonsword

Arcane
So, I picked this up at the recent Steam sale...

...and, apparently, I can't play it because my GeForce GTX 780 Ti doesn't support some obscure DirectX feature?

WTF? This is a turn-based tactics game. Are the graphics really that fancy?

Codex Year of the Donut
So, I picked this up at the recent Steam sale...

...and, apparently, I can't play it because my GeForce GTX 780 Ti doesn't support some obscure DirectX feature?

WTF? This is a turn-based tactics game. Are the graphics really that fancy?
Update your drivers, it should work fine on that card.

Perkel

Arcane
Isn't gear tactics dx12 title ? Then you have to switch to Win10 if you don't have it already.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Isn't gear tactics dx12 title ? Then you have to switch to Win10 if you don't have it already.

Maybe that's the problem. I'm still running Windows 7 on my gaming PC. No way I'm switching that PC to Windows 10, though. I want to keep it on Windows 7 for maximum compatibility with semi-old titles (I have a Windows ME PC for playing even older stuff).

Turuko

Learned

Maybe that's the problem. I'm still running Windows 7 on my gaming PC. No way I'm switching that PC to Windows 10, though. I want to keep it on Windows 7 for maximum compatibility with semi-old titles (I have a Windows ME PC for playing even older stuff).
780ti is more than enough for it, but you need Win10
or you could try proton

agris

Arcane
Patron

As much as it pains me to say it; you gotta know which way the wind is blowing.

Virtual machines will be your refuge in a win10 world. It’s about to be mine too.

This game got a reworked campaign with some new content, including a Floating Drone called a Jack, some new locusts, and an entire new tier of upgraded loot. This games combat system is awesome, if they ever built out the rest of it, made the roster management and leveling system more meaningful and gave it a more in-depth research and loot system it would beat new XCOM all to hell..

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1184050/view/2871564484715062600

Gears Tactics New Content Update Coming Nov 10!!!
Gears Tactics is getting a free major update that adds new features and content

On November 10, Gears Tactics is getting a free major update that adds new features to this critically acclaimed game. This update will coincide with the console version of Gears Tactics alongside the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S console launch.

Check all the new items being added to Gears Tactics:
  • Jack joins the fight – Gears of War’s signature companion bot, Jack will join Gabe and the heroes of Gears Tactics as a new playable character. In Gears Tactics, Jack is a new hero that changes the dynamic of the encounters, with 20+ new skills ranging from empowering auras to hijacking and controlling enemy units.
  • New powerful enemies – Deviant enemies are introduced in Gears Tactics, adding a new layer of challenge in the battles, with special abilities that will defy the players’ strategies.
  • New Supreme equipment – The new Supreme equipment rewards players with powerful gear to play through the campaign, defying massive bosses and facing the new Deviant enemies.
  • Enhanced controller support – Optimized experience for Xbox controllers on console and PC.

Gears Tactics, which made its critically-acclaimed PC debut earlier this year, features an immersive and character-driven story, that is set 12 years before the first Gears of War. Follow the journey of the defiant soldier Gabe Diaz to rescue and build a squad to fight the emerging Locust threat. Players customize their squad and equipment as they face challenging enemies and massive bosses in aggressive and visceral encounters with the Locust Horde enemy all in an attempt to take down the powerful leader of the Locust army: Ukkon, the evil mastermind who makes monsters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
On November 10, Gears Tactics is getting a free major update that adds new features to this critically acclaimed game.

Well, colour me suprised. I'll be happy to replay this with the new changes.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW it's one of their very few Xbox launch titles, so they probably have to do that at least.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
FWIW it's one of their very few Xbox launch titles, so they probably have to do that at least.
So, it is on sale now. How has the latest updates changed it? Is the level design still dragging the game down? I am very interested in the system itself.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
An interesting video I just stumbled upon in an Gamasutra article about how the AI makes decisions:

Games like Dead State could have profited tremendously from a similar system for batching together individual unit movements. But I suppose you need big teams/money to pull this type of AI behavior off.

An interesting video I just stumbled upon in an Gamasutra article about how the AI makes decisions:

Games like Dead State could have profited tremendously from a similar system for batching together individual unit movements. But I suppose you need big teams/money to pull this type of AI behavior off.

that is pretty cool. Was a very well made game, technically it felt like. I hope they expand upon it, make it a bit deeper, I will keep buying expansions for it, I really enjoyed it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom