Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - remake from Spiderweb Software

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Avadon är ok games to play when you have a boring sunday, Queens Wish felt like a try-out-demo or uncomplete
imo everything from Vogel except geneforge 1, escape from the pit and nethergate ressurection is boring

but those 3 are really good

Falksi

Arcane
Avadon är ok games to play when you have a boring sunday, Queens Wish felt like a try-out-demo or uncomplete
imo everything from Vogel except geneforge 1, escape from the pit and nethergate ressurection is boring

but those 3 are really good

I tried Queen's Wish not long ago and fuckinghell what a bag of wank. Really hooked me with the premise, and then the game kicked in and bored me to tears.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
all the avadon games are like linear boring versions of avernum games

more story, less exploration... and instanced missions (a la Fallout Tactics)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, I just recently tried this remake and played it for a couple of hours. For now this remake looks like total shit. Every aspect Vogel tried to change is now utter garbage. No event log, simplified control when you can't select part of your party to move, zone-of-control mechanics disabling some previously well-established tactics, leap/cone/shriek attacks that make no sense lore-wise, overbloated enemies on Torment difficulty, removed character creation stage, lame additions here and there. Oh, and abilities shortcuts are switching constantly depending on their availability, so previous turn a-c was Blessing, but this time a-c is Healing Potion. These are not shortcuts anymore, more like dumbcuts. Sorry to see how Cult Classic turns to Retarded Crap.
Well, that makes me frown exceedingly.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Really hooked me with the premise, and then the game kicked in and bored me to tears.

Is the demo putting the game on a good light or it is actually representative of the full game? I remember playing the demo some time ago and liking it but i never got the full game.

Falksi

Arcane
Really hooked me with the premise, and then the game kicked in and bored me to tears.

Is the demo putting the game on a good light or it is actually representative of the full game? I remember playing the demo some time ago and liking it but i never got the full game.

I've not played the demo dude so I wouldn't know. I played around 6 hours of the main game, and it just felt like an awful dilution of early Spiderweb games.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've not played the demo dude so I wouldn't know. I played around 6 hours of the main game, and it just felt like an awful dilution of early Spiderweb games.

IIRC the game is just the first 1 or 2 hours, so perhaps i could rephrase that to "does the game stay at the level of the first 1-2 hours or it goes downhill after that?" :-P

Falksi

Arcane

IIRC the game is just the first 1 or 2 hours, so perhaps i could rephrase that to "does the game stay at the level of the first 1-2 hours or it goes downhill after that?" :-P

It goes downhill. The first few hours set up a promising game, but then when you get your base rolling it forgets it's a CRPG to a large degree and tries to be a shit modern RPG

Leonard

Educated
Finished the new Geneforge. After Avadon and the second set of Avernum remakes I was sceptical, but this feels much, much better than the new Avernums. I haven't played the first Generforge in a long time, so the details of changes are somewhat foggy, but it still felt like the same, amazing game, with some gentle gameplay touches.

Of the perceived changes:
- The new shaping system is a definitive improvement. Sure, I'd like to have even more options, but it felt fun to improve your creations by giving them new skills or passive abilities instead of merely stat boosting them. Creations also feel much stronger than in the original, so I felt like I really could focus on creations, instead of playing a wizard with meat shields.
- Stat system got changed a bit. Luck got replaced with stealth, which I didn't use much and didn't look very appealing, but you can tell that it could be a viable approach in some locations. Essence is now a separate stat from intelligence, which helps with not making Shapers spellcasting powerhouses by default. Chances to hit now doesn't depend on your attributes but your level (and buffs/items), which I really hated at first, but it seemed to play well enough, so I can't say it's a bad thing.
- New content varies from decent to meh. Inutile seem like a decent addition to the world, if a little too shoved in your face in the early game, the new questline and dungeon were all right, if unspectacular. There's also the addition of three new shapers on the island, which just makes no sense narratively and probably the most misguided addition. They don't really contribute anything except for sequel hook (which wasn't needed in the original Geneforge 1) and ruin the effect of meeting Goettsch, who is more important and interesting character, especially since you're almost guaranteed to meet them before Goettsch. I'm really baffled why Jeff decided they were a good idea.
- Batons have more variety of effects, so they look more appealing for fighter types (can't say how effective they are since I played as a shaper, but they looked useful).
- Some boss monsters got added, but they feel pretty fair. There's no permanent shield bullshit, massive hp bloat, constant monster spawnings (except for spawners, but that's a given) that have been a nightmare in the later Geneforge games. Boss encounters have never been Vogel's strength, so I'm happy he decided to keep it simple this time. It really works better.
- I really can't remember if it was the same in the original, but it feels like there's nothing to spend the money on in this game. By the end, I had almost 20k gold and five times as much in loot and there was literally nothing even moderately exciting to purchase throughout the whole game. Obviously living tools were useful, as were some pods and spores, especially early game, but by the time I got to Pentil, I was just accumulating gold without any reason to do so. I wish Jeff added some money dump in the game.
- If you decide to play this game yourself, I definitely recommend playing it on veteran difficulty. It adds more skills to rogue creations and enables friendly fire, both of which make the game more interesting and tactical. And the game feels slightly easier than I remember the original, so there's a use to difficulty bump. Torment feels like too much hassle with excessive enemy hp and damage.

Overall it still feels like a great game. The changes are hard to notice and when you do, they are positive. I really think there's absolutely no reason to play the original at this point and I can't wait to see the remaster of the second game, which is my favourite one.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Usually when I play geneforge I make an alt of each type I plan to be then play so far then switch. Its just something I like doing. Lordy... don't get me started on the diablo and hellgate london memories.

EldarEldrad

Savant
- If you decide to play this game yourself, I definitely recommend playing it on veteran difficulty. It adds more skills to rogue creations and enables friendly fire, both of which make the game more interesting and tactical. And the game feels slightly easier than I remember the original, so there's a use to difficulty bump. Torment feels like too much hassle with excessive enemy hp and damage.
I finished the game recently and I should say that Torment is not so Torment as in Geneforge 5 for example. Almost no HP bloat, but you creations still die too quickly so kiting and picking enemies by one is best tactics. Overall on Torment game is pretty brutal it the beginning, but turns into trivial matter near the middle. The only real hard fights at late game are Inner crypt's boss (though both Shaper and Inner Crypt is very easy overall) and final fights in Inutile quests.

Repressed Homosexual
I think it's the pettiest thing I've ever seen on the Codex. People complaining about a game given for free. One that has always been thought of as a classic on the Codex as far as I can remember.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Just picked this up for free on Epic.

It made no sense for this thing to be $20. Did anyone really pay that or did Vogel get Epic to shell out some cash by putting it at a higher price point initially?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's an awesome game. Paying $20 for a well-designed, non-linear RPG should be considered a privilege: there are very few titles with comparable quality design-wise.

Martyr

Arcane
guise, I need halp!
I'm playing the original Geneforge but I don't think that makes a difference. I'm playing it for the first time so I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing.

I think I might be at the end of the game; I sided with the Takers, just because I thought it was the fastest way to see the finale - I did enjoy playing Geneforge very much, but I've been playing it for a long long time and I always get burned out on games.

so I've just entered the Geneforge and want to talk to Trajkov, but he doesn't understand me and vice versa. Toivo from the Takers has taught me the Sholai tongue, but obviously not good enough. there was a book in Toivos chamber about the Sholai language but that didn't improve my knowledge.

so yeah, I'm stuck right now which is pretty frustrating. as I said, I'm burnt out on Geneforge and want to move on, so I really don't have the patience to go wandering about the world map and speak to every Sholai and search every cave and so on. help me plox!
but apart from that, pretty awesome game! as of now I rate it :4/5:

Martyr

Arcane

Martyr

Arcane
finished Geneforge 1. epic game, maybe even top 10 RPGs of all time quality.
I killed everyone - the Awakened, the Obeyers, the Takers. both Goettsch and Trajkov. used the Geneforge and killed all the Scholai surrounding the Geneforge. I would have spared the Obeyers, if they'd been willing to serve me, but they didn't like my using the Geneforge.
the Fallout-esque ending slides were very nice! I'm thrilled to see how it continues in Geneforge 2!

GandGolf

Augur
I killed everyone - the Awakened, the Obeyers, the Takers. both Goettsch and Trajkov. used the Geneforge and killed all the Scholai surrounding the Geneforge. I would have spared the Obeyers, if they'd been willing to serve me, but they didn't like my using the Geneforge.
the Fallout-esque ending slides were very nice! I'm thrilled to see how it continues in Geneforge 2!
Did you do the new quest to kill all the Serviles?

Martyr

Arcane
Did you do the new quest to kill all the Serviles?
is that part of the remake? if yes, then no. I played the original.
I just killed the Awakened and the Takers because as a shaper I didn't like their philosphy. I would have spared the Obeyers if they'd have obeyed me, but they were scared of me after I used the Geneforge and said I strayed from the true path.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom