Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - remake from Spiderweb Software

thesecret1

Arcane
A third of that is enough
The KS money wasn't to cover development costs – those were pushed to near zero due to aggressive asset recycling – but to pay Vogel's salary. Suggesting he spent a third of that on graphics is suggesting he gives up a third of his income from this gig.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geneforge1/geneforge-1-mutagen/posts/2840562

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen May Update!

It’s time for the Geneforge 1 - Mutagen progress report for May! Happily, we’ve gotten a lot done in the last month. Being under quarantine has made it difficult to concentrate, but we’ve managed. We know we absolutely owe you a game, and that helps us not be too distracted.

Here is what we’ve done, and we have more ways you can help to shape the game!

Progress Report

We have now finished a tenth of the game world, or 8 out of 80 sections. Now we are playing through the early sections as all three character classes. It’s a new game system, and we need to make sure the balance is fair, the game plays properly, and things are fun. We are getting lots of great art from our freelancers and programming in big chunks of the game engine. Having the game be playable by humans is a big step forward, and it’s really exciting.

We have spent a lot of time improving the original game text and then adding to it. We’re adding lore, quests, and bits of conversation that round out the story. People who already played Geneforge will find a lot to surprise them.

We are getting closer to the full-on world-building grind, where the engine is done and we are focused purely on making the game world, a section a day.

The New Creation!

We got many cool suggestions for the new creation. The second most popular suggestion was sort of virus, which, well, we decided not to do that. The most popular suggestion was some sort of bird, and that is indeed something missing.

The new creation is going to be a cockatrice. It is a large bird,with brightly-colored rainbow plumage. It is a powerful, volatile creation. It has both magical attacks and attacks that daze or stun foes, but its abilities might have a chance of rebounding on nearby allies.

That is where we currently are. We would love suggestions for the sort of actual abilities the cockatrice would have. If you’d like a chance for your suggestion to get into the game, send it to geneforgegame@gmail.com before June 16.

Backers Who Contribute To the Game

A little over a month ago, we sent our information packs to backers who get to contribute names, items, characters, etc. to the game. We’ve gotten a ton of great responses and ideas. Thank you for that! A lot of really exciting stuff!

If you haven’t made contact with us yet, it is a great idea to consider doing that. We haven’t heard anything from most of the backers who are contributing names or quests. If you never received the info packet we sent out, send us a Kickstarter message and we’ll resend it.

And now it is back to game balancing! Below is more of the great character art we’ve been getting. Hope you like it, and you’ll hear from us soon!

- Jeff Vogel

cbd13b512b999c3849bf423b4cb0a476_original.png

The thahd is the basic battle creation. Dumb and sturdy, it is cheap cannon fodder. Let it run up and punch your enemies.
c1e29d9ef2304b029d7ab0cf31ec23d5_original.png

The clawbug is a more advanced battle creation. It comes with nasty venom and quality natural armor.

tindrli

Arcane
I could give a hand that we here on forum there was a proper design of scorpio in some point and it had balls

almondblight

Arcane
Didn't Arcen games have two artists working on staff at one point? I don't think the problems like this are one of money. Rather, the person in charge doesn't have an eye for art and they don't seek outside input. People even tried to give Vogel free help after he wrote his "I don't have money for good graphics" post, and his response was simply "it'd probably take a lot of money to understand your suggestions."

His best graphics in my opinion were Exile 3, and I think that's because he teamed up with the Realmz guy to buy the graphics.

Smoker

Scholar
I don't understand why he can't hire a proper sprite/pixel artist with the money he got from KS. A third of that is enough to make the game at least look significantly different from G6/avadon, if not for a complete overhaul. Those portraits do little to change the 'recycled' feel.

He didn't even use the 30 steam games store pages + forums he owns to rally his fans to the kickstarter. Probably lost 25k-50k in funds.

xuerebx

Erudite
I don't like the leopard-like spots/markings on the new one. I think the Thahd would look better without them.

thesecret1

Arcane
That's actually a pretty funny thought.
Shapers. Excellent magicians capable of controlling life itself, able to topple entire nations with just their creations, but incapable of ever scoring any pussy. Naturally, the answer to that was to shape their own waifus through arcane gene engineering and send them to slaughter anime girls of other shapers whenever they dared claim theirs was the best one. But now, on a remote island, some abandoned waifus are becoming rebellious, even able to shape anime chads for themselves so that their needs need not be seviced by dusty fat shaper virgins. You, a freshly minted virgin shaper have just arrived on this island by chance. Whose side will you take? Which waifus will you fuck? Will you use the green canisters that make you more powerful, but also make your dick smaller? Find out in Weebforge 1.

PrettyDeadman

Shapers. Excellent magicians capable of controlling life itself, able to topple entire nations with just their creations, but incapable of ever scoring any pussy. Naturally, the answer to that was to shape their own waifus through arcane gene engineering and send them to slaughter anime girls of other shapers whenever they dared claim theirs was the best one. But now, on a remote island, some abandoned waifus are becoming rebellious, even able to shape anime chads for themselves so that their needs need not be seviced by dusty fat shaper virgins. You, a freshly minted virgin shaper have just arrived on this island by chance. Whose side will you take? Which waifus will you fuck? Will you use the green canisters that make you more powerful, but also make your dick smaller? Find out in Weebforge 1.
Will enough green juice turn your dick into neovagina?

GandGolf

Augur

Anime Cat Girl waifu would be more fun for the new creation stretch goal, but I think that it may have a hard time getting by Steam. Cockatrice with friendly fire ability? That last bit doesn't sound so good...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Friendly fire sounds like a horrible ability. "We just lost 1/2 our forces... again!" Glares at the cocktrice.... "GET RID OF THAT FUCKING THING NOW!"

or did ya mean?

s5PT3Jw.jpg

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geneforge1/geneforge-1-mutagen/posts/2872588

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen June Update!

We are entering the time of uninteresting Geneforge 1 - Mutagen updates. The engine is mostly done. Now we are grinding out sections, with 14 sections finished.

This is only a small improvement over last month. This is partly because we had to rework a bunch of iPad games to make Apple happy, and partly because we took an actual vacation. In the next month, there will be a lot of movement forward.

We are concentrating on keeping the game system as faithful to the original as possible, with the occasional rough edge rounded off. We are making sure, at least on easier difficulty levels, that it is really hard to make a character build which makes it painful to proceed. (Don’t worry. Hard difficulties will still be hard.)

Happily, the sections we’ve done have all been played with all three characters. Lots of bugs are being fixed, lots of rebalancing is happening, and the game is still fun. We’re still on track for a release early next year.

The Cockatrice!

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions for the abilities for the new creation, the cockatrice. There were a lot of great ideas, and we picked some of the craziest ones.

It will be a unique creation different from anything in Geneforge, and we think people will find it to be pretty fun. Now it’s time to actually design it and get the art made. Thanks for the help, and we hope everyone who took part enjoyed it!

Backers Who Contribute To the Game

The quest and character and item designers have come up with a lot of terrific ideas. Most of them are from longtime fans of the Geneforge series, and they had great ideas for how to flesh out the world of Geneforge and fix plot holes from the first game.

I’ve put in a lot of time figuring out how to weave the new material in to make a richer, more complex world, and I’m super-happy with how it’s turning out. There will be a two new factions, many new quest lines, and lots of cool lore.

If your supporter level lets you contribute sometime to the game, and you haven’t, please contact me at geneforgegame@gmail.com.

Cool art keeps coming in, and I’ve attached more creation art below. See you next month!

- Jeff Vogel

bb7dd5ab3b89916bb83b5f657b9d9a68_original.png

The artila, the first of the magical creations. A powerful cannon, but very fragile.
f9cc54d633bafa565de34f05b4f3d7d0_original.png

The floaty, creepy vlish. It is a controller creation, which blesses your characters and curses and dazes the enemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom