Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - Spiderweb Software's latest remake

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Geneforge is such an interesting game. Magic being able to create life is such a interesting topic. That remake looks gorgeous. Wishlisted it.

Jinn

Arcane
Basically if he doesn't fuck around with the core mechanics much or at all, I have no reason not to get this and enjoy the shit out of it. Looks good to me. Much more palatable presentation all around.

EldarEldrad

Savant
Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is a truly unique, open-ended fantasy role-playing adventure from Spiderweb Software! Choose between a host of rival factions. Use magic or your deadly pets to crush your enemies. Or, use trickery, diplomacy, and stealth to win the game without ever attacking a foe. Destroy the final boss, or switch sides and join him. Fight alone or create your own army of custom-made mutant monsters.
Which one of Augmented Sholai in eastern docks area is the final boss now?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geneforge1/geneforge-1-mutagen/posts/2999415

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen October Update!

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen has been officially announced! You can see screenshots and the trailer on our web site or our Steam store page. Actually going public is a huge step, and we’re thrilled about the early response. The game should be out in February, 2021.

We are about a month from finishing the game world. Then comes the Windows port, a ton more beta testing, the billion little steps necessary to actually ship a game, and we win! We just finished completing the new regions and storyline stretch goal. It is a really dark, cool standalone story with lots of new characters, challenges, and loot. If you are already a Geneforge fan, I think you’ll really enjoy how we fleshed out the world.

We have a lot of feedback on game balance, and most of the game systems are completed. We are making sure that if you want to play as a pacifist (never use a hostile spell), there are routes through the game for you. There is a new Stealth system and skill that will help a lot with this. If you prefer battle, we are working on balancing the abilities so that there are a wide variety of strategies that lead to victory.

Between the open game balance, bonus challenges, and wildly different factions you can join, Geneforge 1 - Mutagen should maintain the replay value of the original.

If you haven’t gotten our Kickstarter survey yet, you should get it soon. We need to build the credits, and those at tiers Lord of the Shapers or over ($50+) will be listed in them.

Not a lot of text in this update, but we hope that the trailer and flood of screenshots will provide something interesting to look at. Time to finish the world, and we’ll see you next month!

- Jeff Vogel

23421334780a894487ed5c1634951114_original.jpg

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen makes it possible to complete the game without ever attacking a foe. Sneak through trapped dungeons or use diplomacy to complete your goals.
d13d7b2a5edd259d0647d9858e44d4a5_original.jpg

Find a wide variety of strange, alien artifacts and unique Shaped technology.

Terra

Cipher
If nothing else. Jeff works pretty fast. Certainly a surer bet of delivering something on KS than many others.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The bit about a pacifist playthrough is interesting. The original did have a fair few diplomacy checks to skip combats but I don't think 100% pacifist was possible.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geneforge1/geneforge-1-mutagen/posts/2999421

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen November Update!

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is getting very close to done. Five days of work to finish the world. One day for the ending. A day or two more to finish everything we forgot to finish. And then it’s time for the Windows port and pushing the boulder uphill to a February release.

We have made our Final To-Do list, and we’re taking items off it at a good pace. When it is empty, we have a game we can sell!

We sent out surveys for people who will be listed in the credits. Surveys for all other backers will follow soon after. Be sure to watch your email.

We haven’t talked much about ways we’ve changed the game for the remaster. So we want to preview one of the new systems. We’ve been asked a lot about the new Stealth skill and how that will work. We really like how this skill has turned out, and it’s a valuable tool for players who follow routes with less combat.

Every enemy has a radius at which it can detect enemies. When you increase your stealth skill, it temporarily reduces this radius by a short distance per point of skill. This delay is temporary. When you see a '?' over an enemy's head, your stealth kept it from noticing you, but the delay won't last forever. Early on, a small amount of stealth will get you past a lot of pests. In advanced areas, evading the defense systems will take much more.

One of the trademark qualities of Geneforge games is that there are many paths to victory. We have testers who are making armies of creations, others who play a lone warrior, and some who sneak through the game without ever attacking a foe. Happily, they all seem to be having fun.

Anyway, the end is in sight. If your backer level lets you join the closed beta, that will start in a month or so.

Hope everyone stays safe, and next month we’ll tell you about a mostly finished game!

- Jeff Vogel

639c12dc75138f29f7efaa9313f28a24_original.jpg

Geneforge battles have a lot of variety. Here, you defend a small settlement of serviles from a raid of deadly rogue creations.
f1d25b3cc913055504265c47df137d78_original.jpg

The classes and skills of Geneforge allow a lot of customization and many different paths to victory. This bold adventurer has made a tiny army.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/geneforge1/geneforge-1-mutagen/posts/3054516

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen December Update!

Geneforge 1 - Mutagen is done!

We have completed the game, for both Macintosh and Windows. We are giving both versions preliminary beta-testing to make sure they are basically stable. The closed beta for Kickstarter backers will then begin in early January. A late February release is looking very likely. Preparing a game for release on Steam and other platforms is a long and complicated process, but we have left ourselves plenty of time. (The iPad port will happen after the Windows and Mac release.)

The challenge right now is the final balance testing. Geneforge 1 - Mutagen gives a ton of customization options, and we try to make sure none of them are useless or overpowered. For example, you can make 20 different creations to fight for you. Each creation can be trained with two bonus attacks and two bonus passive abilities. This makes for an enormous combination of options.

We don’t mind if you find a build that is wildly powerful (go for it!), but we do want to understand what is possible, and we need to make sure it works as intended. You will be able to come up with all sorts of armies of monsters, and they’ll be able to do some pretty crazy stuff.

Notes For Backers

If you are entitled to join the closed beta, watch for a message from us, addressed to your backer email in early January. We’re looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Getting close to release is stressful and exciting. We hope people like the game (and buy it so we can stay in business), and we’re looking forward to it being done. Happy holidays, and you’ll hear from us next month!

- Jeff Vogel

deb46a76fae40b847dd6552eef9e86e8_original.jpg

The redone, expanded, super-pretty Geneforge world map. Conquer over 80 different regions!
224a86411f1f70bd792f4d2e332009d9_original.jpg

Battling a mad vlish in laboratory ruins. Abandoned Shaper technology is extremely unpredictable and dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The others will get it their next version. Look at all that island that can't be explored. :'(

Saduj

Arcane
Is this still coming out in February? Seems weird that the Steam page doesn't have a release date yet.

Jinn

Arcane
Steam Game Festival huh? Hopefully that means a demo with a save transfer to the full game.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm going to have to look, but did Jeff add music to this one? Honestly, I don't need it but this review of the old one made me wonder?

Do any of you care if there is background music? Either way is fine eith me but make sure you can turn it off if there is any.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lack of music doesn't bother me but I wish he had more ambient noise playing in the background; stuff like rustling leaves, chirping birds, the howling wind, flowing water and such. He has a bit of that, but there could be more. It can't be very expensive to get a generic nature ambient pack like that - at this point it's just pure laziness on Vogel's part.

Terra

Cipher
Highly doubt Jeff will have added music to this. You'd think he'd do something given that forum posts from new players asking something to the effect of "launched the game and no music is playing" aren't uncommon. He'll continue to be too lazy/cheap to add a soundtrack and the yes men on his forums will continue to support his complacency in this regard. For the record, I think he should add music to his games, but he's seemingly living comfortably with minimal changes between games so I guess he has little incentive to.

Lack of music doesn't bother me but I wish he had more ambient noise playing in the background; stuff like rustling leaves, chirping birds, the howling wind, flowing water and such. He has a bit of that, but there could be more. It can't be very expensive to get a generic nature ambient pack like that - at this point it's just pure laziness on Vogel's part.
"Professional sound design" was an unmet stretch goal for this kickstarter, so I am expecting to hear the old repertoire once again with maybe a few new additions.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Given his taste for graphical assets I shudder to think about the choices he would make for background music. Let's not make wishes to the monkey's paw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom