Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - Spiderweb Software's latest remake

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I like Felipe but sometimes his shilling becomes too obvious.
So we DON'T promote cool indie projects? I genuinely like Geneforge and want this kickstarter to succeed, and I will do the same for Knights of the Chalice 2 next month.

There's an ocean of difference between something genuinely new like KotC2 and another Spiderweb remake that regurges the same old with less complexity and the tone-deaf approach to graphics and GUI. If Vogel has proved anything in recent years, it's that he doesn't know what made his early games good, doesn't even get why people complain all the time and hasn't shown any willingness to improve.

Will the Geneforge remake be terrible? No. Utterly pointless and worst than the original? Yes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Geneforge 1 - Mutagen - Spiderweb Software's next remake - Kickstarter Live

I dig the title. I'm expecting an 80s theme song now.

Geneforge Muta generic Vogel!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
too bad i had a great idea about how to improve the creations. i called it "gene expression" basically a "trait" you get from talking to people/fellow shaper/documents. it's basically genetic mark recipes to change some creation's uses and stuff.

the idea is basically like you get recipes for something that change the element of their attacks. like poison or lightning element fyora, or more bulky HP tank, etc. each creature have a "slot" to modify gene expression to add more variety.

JDR13

Arcane
too bad i had a great idea about how to improve the creations. i called it "gene expression" basically a "trait" you get from talking to people/fellow shaper/documents. it's basically genetic mark recipes to change some creation's uses and stuff.

the idea is basically like you get recipes for something that change the element of their attacks. like poison or lightning element fyora, or more bulky HP tank, etc. each creature have a "slot" to modify gene expression to add more variety.

I'm already convinced you could design better games than Vogel.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Are people into editors/game creators of their favorite games? Seems like he's toss a few of these out or just 1 that has all the assets he's made. I see a few more Queen's Wish sequels and probably gene 2-3 remakes.

Future reboot remakes of the entire series? No way! I just can't believe it'd continue for decades to come.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Are people into editors/game creators of their favorite games? Seems like he's toss a few of these out or just 1 that has all the assets he's made. I see a few more Queen's Wish sequels and probably gene 2-3 remakes.

Future reboot remakes of the entire series? No way! I just can't believe it'd continue for decades to come.

You mean like Blades of Avernum? Vogel considered Blades a horrible, horrible mistake, because giving your players a way to easily build adventures with your copy pasted assets meant death of his business model (endless re-using assets and remaking the same games).

I mean, what's even the point tho? Free assets around the Net are of higher quality than anything Vogel uses in his games and his engine isn't hot stuff.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I wonder if that's why Fargo refuses to remake the BTCS for the trilogy? Some people like point & click menus with as little programming knowledge needed. I agree there are better but you have HC fanboys who just don't care. We've seen them in every genre.

GandGolf

Augur
As a lazy person myself I guess I can't fault him. Is it not written that if you want to throw stones you first have to put some effort into it?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
30f2c5d286835bd20ec54e6685c78edb_original.jpg
It's a fucking travesty of a map. It's a typical "my first fantasy novel" level square map. FFS, southern part is a literally rectangle. Compare it to the, dunno, map of Magic Candle 2 that had tile graphics, i.e. consisted of little squares itself.
mc2-map.jpg

How it looked in the game:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Maybe he was going mm3-5 style. Continent of Sacremento? I mean Sacramentum.

Phantasie 1

Last edited:

Luzur

Good Sir
It's a fucking travesty of a map. It's a typical "my first fantasy novel" level square map. FFS, southern part is a literally rectangle. Compare it to the, dunno, map of Magic Candle 2 that had tile graphics, i.e. consisted of little squares itself.
mc2-map.jpg

How it looked in the game:

Why dont he remake The Magic Candle series? or Phantasie series? those would be swell

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Frankly, I'm just disgusted by Vogel by now. Last of his games I really liked was Avernum3. Even the damn archaic website of his had some charm by then. For the trash that was Avadon and whatever came after, I couldn't even finish the demos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom