Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Geneforge 2 - Infestation remake from Spiderweb Software

Jack Slash

Literate
The Takers are fucking idiots, they ditch the shapers and quickly replace them with Drakons.
They used to be my least favourite faction, too, but after playing the remakes, I started sympathising with the Takers more and more.

I just find it relatable somehow that, after centuries of undisputed Shaper oppression, it was neither the Awakened compromise nor any further lateral movements in the Shaper circles that brought about the change - instead, it took the undiluted, congealed hatred to create an ultimate living weapon (Ghaldring) and disrupt the old ways. And the Takers don't just hate the Shapers - they also hate themselves and each other, and so they go on the path of continuous reshaping of themselves, discarding the outdated bodies and inefficient concepts without a moment's thought or gratitude for previous accomplishments that allowed them to get this far. And the lengths they go to achieve their goals - the game frequently mentions how the Takers get the worst lands, the worst living conditions, the least amount of food, and a lot of random NPCs you meet are on the brink of starvation. And yet, their labs are the biggest, and their war machine has the most gas in its tank - always.

It's only Jeff's canon, of course, but it's easy to feel commiserative with these mad, ruthless and unapologetic weirdos.

Mauman

Learned
Meh....the Takers have always been giant self-destructive fucktards. I usually take great glee in genociding them.

Now I do have sympathy for the Awakened, but at the end of the day I'm loyalist/non-aligned to the core.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Now I do have sympathy for the Awakened, but at the end of the day I'm loyalist/non-aligned to the core.

The Awakened are the "sensible" option.... until they aren't. Historically they lose and lose and lose until all that's left is a "moderate" faction of Rebels that exist because the Takers with blood and insanity mauled Shaper society in open warfare, and the Shapers are weakened enough to consider other options. Of course, in their endings they manage to make everything work, but in the Vogel canon the "moderate rebel" positions aren't simply sustainable against Shaper rigidity and Rebel insanity.

In Geneforge 2 their weakness is further underlined by being dependant on Zachary for their mere existence (he gave them support, shielded them and hid them) and they're over-cultivating the valley with uncontrolled Shaping because they don't fully understand that the Shaper laws have a good reason to exist. They may be moral, but they're not practical.

I also like being nonaligned, and it's honestly good to see how weak you are in refusing everything. No canisters? Well, you're significantly weaker. All trainers bar the Shaper Camp cost a lot more and some trainers are flat-out refusing to deal with you. You get even less quests, less gold and less experience. There's no gameplay advantage whatsoever in being "pure unaligned" bar having to deal with the same shit with less power (and of course avoiding Canister Madness) but it feels good: too often in games refusing "the Evil Power" is trivially easy because the other options are equivalent, in Geneforge 2 you're going to struggle for purity and discipline.

Mauman

Learned

There's no gameplay advantage whatsoever in being "pure unaligned" bar having to deal with the same shit with less power
Phariston exists :D

Also, While we note that Awakened are the "sensible" option, they are also giant hypocrites. Their whole end-game existence relies on
obedient Drakon creations

I don't blame them, but it does make the whole "creation rights" thing fall flat on it's face. Especially when you're being tasked to kill "rogues" they created :P

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Meh....the Takers have always been giant self-destructive fucktards. I usually take great glee in genociding them.

I intent on killing them all and fucking off. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom