Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Geneforge 2 - Infestation remake from Spiderweb Software

curds

Magister
You'd think they'd just play on a PC then. I suppose I can see them settling into bed, next to wife, pulling out the ipad to drown out the briefing for tomorrow's yard work before they knock out.
Exactly. As I said I believe it's people who think they don't have time to game, and therefore wouldn't consider playing on PC as then it becomes "gaming" and not relaxing with the missus on the couch/in bed after the kids have been put to sleep.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
7567567567576.png

Enlarged for your benefit.

bionicman

Liturgist
I think the iPhone/iPad audience for Vogel games would actually be not so much zoomers, but rather 45+ oldfags with wife, kids, 9-5 job etc. Guys who played Ultima IV back in the day, but now don't really keep up with gaming/think they don't have time for it. Most mobile/tablet gamers I know are not zoomers but gen X/boomers. Zoomers are happy with PS/Xbox and even PC.
You'd think they'd just play on a PC then. I suppose I can see them settling into bed, next to wife, pulling out the ipad to drown out the briefing for tomorrow's yard work before they knock out.
Dude, you're overthinking it... It's just another platform you can play a game on. If I had an ipad I wouldn't mind buying geneforge or something to play from time to time.

notpl

Arbiter
Shame on anyone still subsidizing this dullard's retirement. We have actual talented independent RPG devs now, spend that money on gifting a friend a copy of Underrail or ATOM or something.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
View attachment 32110
Enlarged for your benefit.
Didn't he say at some point that he was done with Apple as a new iOS version made his games incompatible or something?
Anyway, I agree that Switch probably has a lot more potential for premium games of this genre.
iOS is a huge market, but mostly for abusive F2P games.

I know exactly what Jeff was talking about, as that was what made me never touch iOS ever again. The short version is that Apple products are extremely unpleasant to work with as a smaller dev.

But, that was way back in 2015 or so, and it seems like he changed his mind. Unless something more recent happened.

https://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2015/06/age-pleasing-apple-and-trying-to-climb.html

It's really hard to estimate mobile sales, but I'm willing to venture that the app stores are not major contributors to Jeff's bottom line. Then again, I have no idea how difficult it is to port his games, so it might be worth the effort.

But on a general note, yeah the mobile market's been fucked forever and it's only getting worse if anything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He haven't done an avernum rerererereremake in a long time.
Shame on anyone still subsidizing this dullard's retirement. We have actual talented independent RPG devs now, spend that money on gifting a friend a copy of Underrail or ATOM or something.
I do agree in general,now give some examples that doesn't involves games that everyone on the site had finished a few times already lol.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
It better not be Avernum 4. I finished that last month and I was pissed I couldn't play exclusively with a keyboard like the previous ones.
I asked on the Spiderweb Facebook page a while back if an Avernum 4 remake was coming, and whoever handles that page responded with "yes".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026-165329-845~2.png
    Screenshot_20221026-165329-845~2.png
    104 KB · Views: 93

FFTW

Educated
I have never been a phone gamer, but when I bought and modded my iPad back in 2015 I played a bunch of games on it for a couple months (then got bored and let it gather dust lol) including some of his games. I remember they were enjoyable, but nothing worth writing home about. IIRC he pretty much did them alone though, so that is still impressive. If they ever come to consoles I will check them out again.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I have never been a phone gamer, but when I bought and modded my iPad back in 2015 I played a bunch of games on it for a couple months (then got bored and let it gather dust lol) including some of his games. I remember they were enjoyable, but nothing worth writing home about. IIRC he pretty much did them alone though, so that is still impressive. If they ever come to consoles I will check them out again.

Vogel has made some great games in the past. His recent ones aren't. Seeing as how you played on an iPad, you probably played the bad ones.

FFTW

Educated

Vogel has made some great games in the past. His recent ones aren't. Seeing as how you played on an iPad, you probably played the bad ones.
IIRC I had played 2 of the Avernum games. Not sure which ones, but I normally play series from the beginning so they were probably Avernum 1 and 2.

notpl

Arbiter
He haven't done an avernum rerererereremake in a long time.
I do agree in general,now give some examples that doesn't involves games that everyone on the site had finished a few times already lol.
Ho Tu Lo Shu.

Back in the day, I mail ordered Jeff's games on CD. They were some of the more interesting things happing in RPGs at a time when the traditional 80s/90s IPs were dead and everything was MMORPGS or Diablo clones. Thanks Jeff, you got me through a desert of RPGs, also, as I'm a codexer, go fuck yourself Jeff -- your new games are shit.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
I'm glad it's geneforge 2 if only because I can't really get the original to work that well these days. All his other games? No problem. I even got geneforge 1 running just fine, but 2 seems to shit itself on my PC with constant ctds and sound issues no matter what I do.

It helps that it's one of his best games and my favorite series.

almondblight

Arcane
Escape from the Pit
Geneforge 1
maybe Nethergate

That is all you need to play from him.

Exile III is missing from that list. Probably the best example of overworld Ultima style exploration out there.

Where can one buy it? Does it have a remake?

All the Exile games are available for free here. You can check the forums if you need help setting them up, I think there are some versions available that people already wrapped for modern operating systems. I got it running in Sheepshaver.

Exile I is pretty barebones - mostly just running around killing monsters. Exile II is a big step up, where you get a lot more quests, dialogue, interesting environmental stuff, etc. Exile III is the most polished of the bunch. Blades of Exile is for user created modules (FRUA for Exile, basically), but Vogel made a few small-ish (~6-10 hours) modules for it himself that are worth playing.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Exile I is pretty barebones - mostly just running around killing monsters. Exile II is a big step up, where you get a lot more quests, dialogue, interesting environmental stuff, etc. Exile III is the most polished of the bunch. Blades of Exile is for user created modules (FRUA for Exile, basically), but Vogel made a few small-ish (~6-10 hours) modules for it himself that are worth playing.

Exile I is my favorite of the series. Exile II is fine, but too railroaded for my tastes. I understand why everyone loves Exile III, but the town-destroying plagues resulted in too many generic, empty towns.

For me, I > III >>> II.

Kedar

Educated
Escape from the Pit
Geneforge 1
maybe Nethergate

That is all you need to play from him.

Exile III is missing from that list. Probably the best example of overworld Ultima style exploration out there.

Where can one buy it? Does it have a remake?
It has a remake: https://store.steampowered.com/app/691830/Avernum_3_Ruined_World/

The first three Avernum games are remakes of the Exile trilogy. Further Avernums are original sequels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom