Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Genetic Modification, Implants, Cybernetics - The future of the game?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, as I've been replaying as a TinCan AR motherfucker with this game, I've found myself kind of going through the history, the world, the tone, everything of the game in general.

We see examples of genetic horror all over the place with mutants, and in general there seems to be an aversion by and large in Underrail, in part due to the remnants of Old Biocorp simply littering the landscape and reminding people. The Protectorate seems to be more than willing to commit the same level of crimes against humanity via Mutagen as what Biocorp did with Lemuria (which certainly makes me wonder about who General Melek might be).

However, we also see successes in the form of Psionics, and we're told right from the start that it's seemingly impossible this was done so successfully, while as we go along we seem to get hints here and there of Godmen influence, but also with Expedition we get real confirmation that psionics and cave wizardry were around before the collapse and descent.

Aside from Protectorate willingly weaponizing this horror, you see only one other group engaged actively in genetic modification: The institute of Tchort. I'm not including the faceless in this because outside of their origins, we have no idea if they actually engage in genetic screening, mutation, etc.

With Tchortists, you see the Recombinants: monstrous human beings that are very obvious in their roles. As far as we know, they're relatively new but completely stable. What they look like under the uniform is unknown currently, but the reality is they probably look like normal human guys, with a few changes I'm sure (Eidein being the only one who noticeably gives off an aura of pure horror and menace). Even the highest ranking guys under him have seemingly normal faces. We don't know if they need constant monitoring or cocktails of drugs to ensure their stability, so I'd just rather assume they're relatively fine.

With Cybernetics, the big faction that uses it is the Faceless, and that's obvious. Aside from them, not even Coretech, probably the most tech friendly faction in the main game, actually uses them. You see people here or there (Buzzer, Balor, a gladiator with a mech arm, etc.) but no organizations as a whole. This might be simply because it's actually incredibly expensive or requires knowledge not readily available.

With this stuff, it makes me wonder if, in the game series overall, as Fusion comes out and possibly even Underrail 2 in the coming years, it makes me wonder if any of this is in the cards for the future.

There's the mutant questline, but that's a bit different. Knowing Styg & co., it also makes me wonder if there won't be some sort of negative to come with it as well - i.e. Cybernetic implants wear out over time, require an external power source, reduce your health in some way with the implanting. Genetic modification does something else negatively, more than locking you out of quests but something else.

I mean, they made power armor, and it's fun, but also certainly the inverse of what we would have wanted / expected. Still, that just makes it just as awesome.

What are your thoughts?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Whatever it ends-up being, cybernetics and psionics need to be mutually exclusive. Total separation of body and mind, buying into one precludes you from the other.

And there'd have to be an entry fee for cybernetics; like how PSI takes a fifth of your max HP, so that it wouldn't be 100% preferable to maintaining the sanctity of your flesh. I've wondered if an appropriate trade off would be giving up your extra attribute points and revert you back to your original number at character creation; "You developed your natural eyes to be more effective by putting more points into perception every fourth level, but now you've replaced them with a mechanical prosthesis it's back down to the base value they were at when you made your character". But in return, you could find higher-end bionics that carried with them +2 or +3 or +4 perception, perhaps with some in-built nightvision or some other quirk. Being tied to battery power is another bullet-point.

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Whatever it ends-up being, cybernetics and psionics need to be mutually exclusive.
93035bba55ad992a8a6971a4ee1fab1f3b8d669f_large.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
you seem to be excluding plain humans getting high on mushrooms

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom