Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
you said "this", as if LESS T_T's recent post confirmed it.

As I recall there was still some ambiguity about what kind of RTS-RPG it'd be like. Some people suggested Mount and Blade (which is not isometric).

Harthwain

Magister
I think many people here would argue this is a good thing :-P
How so? I doubt the CURRENT industry standard is such that many people here would find agreeable.

But i wouldn't really associate innovation with working with (in)experienced people, if anything in general people work in game development because they want to make games and they're bound to have ideas of their own after a while - however in large companies unless they're on some lead position (which are by definition very few) chances are they wont be able to work on what they want.
Indeed. That's why I am looking up to indie developers more than anyone else. Indies have to innovate to stand out and achieve financial/marketing success, otherwise they risk drowning in the flood of same-y games and die of starvation.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also curiously Art Director Nate Abell became "Creative Director" from Art Director this month. https://www.linkedin.com/in/nateabell/

He's now Consulting Art Director.

Also "tech animator" left in July. https://www.linkedin.com/in/sterlinganimation/

I guess July was when some shift happens.

Well, apparently the project has been canceled. Several developers on Linkedin marked December as end date of their work at Digimancy.

It was going to be a turn-based game after all: https://www.linkedin.com/in/christinehart/

Contributed to several core systems used in a game that was cancelled. The project was built in Unity, and had extensive use of Scriptable Object Architecture patterns.

• Worked alongside the design and art teams to develop and implement a prototype real-time duel-style combat system with dynamic weapon and damage systems for a PoC build that was accepted by a publisher.

• Re-architected the duel combat system into a turn-based combat that relied on narrative systems included in the game to increase the impact of player decisions when entering a combat scenario.

• Built a Unity Timeline-based cinematic system to provide a satisfying visual payoff to player turn actions, with each action having unique animated sequences.

• Implemented an AI system based on a Hierarchical Task Network, with actions taken based on their AI profile, which could be driven by prioritized list of available actions or, eventually, influenced by narrative tags.

• Created initial UI for combat system to clearly communicate all stages of the turn-based combat system, introducing the player to the core economies used in taking actions on their turn, and how they could improve the results of their actions with strategic planning.

From his Linkedin:

I was brought on to help pitch products and then, once funded, was contracted as the Art Director to build an art team. I worked with leads and directors to align the art team internally and with brand managers and external art directors to align the art direction externally.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
iu

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The decline always finds a way. We should have known better than to think it was possible for a good game to exist in this time line.

R@tmaster

Educated
It was probably heroes-like game without tactical layer: units roaming around the map gathering treasure chests, when combat initiated, units would be locked in duel-like fight, where you and your enemy draw cards each turn.

First they made it real-time for better multiplayer reactivity, but then decided to delete multiplayer and go full turn-based story-driven non-linear multiple-endings experience.

>developed a prototype real-time duel-style combat system
>accepted by a publisher
>Re-architected the duel combat system into a turn-based combat system
>publisher backed out

What has this taught us, folks?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Blame the Romeros?

Harebrained is evidently (by job postings) working on turn-based tactics game(s). Triumph is likely making a game with turn-based tactical combat. And last year Paradox released a turn-based tactics by the Romeros (Empire of Sin) and it flopped. Maybe they think they don't need more of turn-based games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom