Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Judas - narrative FPS set on a disintegrating starship from Ken Levine's Ghost Story Games

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Something is probably making it taking longer than they intended as I remember him saying back in summer 2017 that they will start talking about the game next year (which is supposed to be 2018) but nothing happened until now. The tweet seems to be deleted but I found a french site that reported on it.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/69938-ken-levine-bioshock-pas-de-nouvelles-de-son-prochain-jeu-cet
I wish I could. Probably next year as we start talking about the new game. https://t.co/mLuRQ37wnV

- Ken Levine (@levine) 16 août 2017

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Suspicious trademark from Take Two, "CLOUD CHAMBER": http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=88419068&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

This could be a new game from Ghost Story, Firaxis, or Hangar 13, that may be announced at E3.

Now with logo: https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/018132402

rv3zlZZ.png

This looks more like a logo for studio than a game.

Also another trademark by Take Two "31ST UNION": http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=88639004&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Well, will we see something at DoritoPope's award show?

ciox

Liturgist
This seems like it's going to be something weird/slow/confused/troubled all over again like with UA, SSR, SS3... instead of something cool and good, with clear goals, and where the development chugs along at a nice pace.

Fuarkkkkk just get the old team back together and make something like System Shock 2, or the original plan for BioShock that more closely resembled Shock 2.

ciox

Liturgist
This looks more like a logo for studio than a game.

Maybe it is that new San Francisco studio with Bioshock 4 title.

I am expecting a Bioshock 4 made without Levine's involvement any time now, in fact, I thought something would have been announced long ago when the remaster hype was still going on.

It would be interesting since they can't just copy the entire story and mechanics of another game like with BioShock 2, they'd have to actually do some legwork, tbh I would bet on it being a) set in Rapture b) more streamlined than ever before c) with an extra helping of mega-cucked present day politics

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I am expecting a Bioshock 4 made without Levine's involvement any time now, in fact, I thought something would have been announced long ago when the remaster hype was still going on.
It would be interesting since they can't just copy the entire story and mechanics of another game like with BioShock 2, they'd have to actually do some legwork, tbh I would bet on it being a) set in Rapture b) more streamlined than ever before c) with an extra helping of mega-cucked present day politics

I'm quite on the opposite angle.
a) Infinite set up multiple universes one of which is Rapture
b) you will be free to explore multiple universes when you unlock them through the lighthouse like a hub
c) you'll be able to play shooting stuff or with more stealth approach
d) more RPG nuances

Squid

Arbiter
b) you will be free to explore multiple universes when you unlock them through the lighthouse like a hub
d) more RPG nuances
This is likely. How good or fun it will be? That's another story.

ciox

Liturgist

d) more RPG nuances

The problem is fans want Rapture more than anything else, and there is also a lot of clamoring for seeing more of pre-disaster Rapture/Columbine and walking around.
So there's pressure to either clone the first game or make some walking sim experience set in the pre-disaster worlds that have already been designed, neither of these jives with infinite universes very well.

Tbh regardless of whether it's fans or cash grabbing publishers that end up having the most influence, odds are we'll get what's essentially a reboot of the first game, Force Awakens style.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...me-isnt-bioshock-but-features-some-weird-sht/

Ken Levine’s next game isn’t BioShock, but features ‘some weird sh*t’
“I’M WORKING ON MY OWN THING”

BioShock’s creative director Ken Levine has ruled out returning to the series with his next game, but said the unannounced project he’s working on features “some weird shit”.

Asked during a Gamelab Live panel on Wednesday if he was returning to the BioShock universe with his next game, Levine confirmed he was not.

Last year publisher 2K said that work had begun on a new entry in the BioShock franchise at its newly announced Cloud Chamber studio, but Levine is not involved.

“I think that they’ve announced that there’s going to be [a new game], but I’m working on my own thing,” the writer and designer said on Wednesday. “I think I sort of said what I wanted to say about it, so I wanted to do something a little different.”

Levine closed Irrational Games – the studio behind BioShock and its sequel Infinite – in 2014 to form a smaller studio called Ghost Story Games.

At the time, he said the Take-Two owned company – initially made up of 15 staff – would be dedicated “narrative-driven” digital games that were “highly replayable”.

In the six years since, very little has been revealed about Ghost Story’s debut project, other than that it features “narrative legos” which Levine has said will combine to create a player-driven, highly-replayable game.

In January 2015, Levine suggested in a tweet that his next project would be a “first-person sci-fi” game, and at EGX Rezzed in 2017 he revealed that the game would use a system inspired by Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor‘s Nemesis System.

Commenting on the project during the Gamelab stream, Levine suggested the project would feature some outlandish elements.

“I can’t really talk about the new game but there’s some weird shit in it,” he said. “I think if you don’t have people saying, ‘that sounds a little insane’, you haven’t gone close enough to the edge.

“Because the great stuff exists on the edge of ‘over the top’ and ‘just OK’ [and] sometimes you’ve got to push past the point and make something outrageous and ridiculous, then pull it back.”

He added: “But if you don’t go to the outrageous and ridiculous, you never know where that boundary is… that means you’ve got to go into the office sometimes, tell people things, and they’re going to look at your like you’re insane, and then you sort of bring it back to something that you can actually accomplish.”

Jordon Thomas – who worked across all three BioShock games as a writer, designer and creative director – has said he hopes the fourth game in the series takes an original approach and is “unbound” by the past.

Scott Sinclair, the art director of the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite, is working on the new game, among others.

That Game Lab Live thing used some custom livestreaming solution. I guess they will be uploaded on their Youtube like previous years' physical events.

ciox

Liturgist
Sounds like they might actually start working on the game soon. Cool.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some hints from a narrative designer's resume: https://www.linkedin.com/in/madeleine-shopoff/

Narrative designer and technical implementation for an unannounced title from Ghost Story Games. Working directly with creative leadership and writers to take stories from basic scripts to full interactive gameplay. Helped architect and implement robust narrative and quest systems for a crafted player experience in a dynamic roguelike environment. Owned implementation of critical path main story questlines and narrative events.

Sometimes I think about an alternate reality where Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich didn't flop and Ken Levine is making intelligent and fun games that don't take themselves too seriously.

:negative::negative::negative:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't Hades already do a reactive narrative roguelite? Rip Van Levine snoozes and loses.

Although Hades has a significant amount of writing (most of it surprisingly good), I wouldn't call it narrative-driven. There is a plot device that you find out at the end that neatly justifies the repetition that's inherent to the gameplay, but that's about it. You can derive just about the same enjoyment from the game from a mechanics perspective if you skip over every line of dialogue.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/bioshock-creators-sci-fi-rpg-is-in-the-later-stages-of-production/

BioShock Creator’s Sci-Fi RPG Is in the ‘Later Stages of Production’
By Alessio Palumbo
37 minutes ago
Share Tweet Submit

Ken Levine, the creator of BioShock (as well as a prominent developer on System Shock 2), left Irrational Games to found a new studio called Ghost Story Games and create smaller-scale experiences than he was previously accustomed to.

We haven't heard a whole lot about his project, other than Levine's high-level discussion of a small-scale open world game that would have an endlessly replayable storyline through what he called 'narrative LEGOs'.

Next BioShock Will Be Powered By Unreal Engine 4; To Feature New Setting, Narrative Driven Experience

A new job listing shines a bit more light on what the game is actually going to be. It also suggests that the release may not be that far off any longer, as the project is in the 'later stages of production' now.

We are a self-publishing game development studio owned by Take-Two Interactive located in the greater-Boston area. We're dedicated to making immersive story driven games for gamers that like a challenge. The studio was founded by a group of former Irrational Games developers that involved the development and release of many games, including but not limited to System Shock 2, BioShock and BioShock Infinite.

"We’re working on a new immersive sci-fi game with RPG elements. We haven’t announced any details yet because we are still in later stages of production."

"Come join an outstanding team of less than ~35 people that is committed to judging by quality, not arbitrary timeliness. We are known for having genuine open communication with a flat structure. You're welcome to join any meeting, walk up to (or Slack) anyone and have your voice heard. Team-based decision making is important to us, regardless of your position – every opinion counts and matters!"

"Please have played or at least be familiar with our legacy games System Shock 2, BioShock and BioShock Infinite. View this video from Ken Levine’s 2014 GDC talk which explains some of the game we’re working on, on a high level.
"

ciox

Liturgist
I don't get anything out of that quote. It sounds like they are making progress, but somehow that's a reason for not announcing details? Maybe they meant pre-production. Or something else. Or maybe this was all a dream.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Edgy weird shit could be something lovecraftian. Also immersive sim with RPG elements. I say this is an absolute win.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom