Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Giving PoE another chance

Barbarian

Arcane
Played it last year and was mostly disappointed. It was meh. Somewhat buggy, writing and characters mostly uninteresting(save for durance and some of the lore). I didn't manage to get more than 6 or 7 hours in without getting bored.

After all the patches and the 2 expansions is it worth another go? Are there mods I should get?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The game is still garbage even with the expansion. It's just that it takes a longer time to finish it all now. If you didn't like it the first time then why do you think you might like it now when it's equally bad but demands that you waste even more time on it?

Barbarian

Arcane
The game is still garbage even with the expansion. It's just that it takes a longer time to finish it all now. If you didn't like it the first time then why do you think you might like it now when it's equally bad but demands that you waste even more time on it?

Patches and dlcs tend to improve games and it's been over a year. Just asking.

I got another key for the game + key to the expansions in a bundle too. Might as well give it a shot.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The world is still generic as hell, even BG1 isn't so generic, populated by boring characters with silly problems. It's just soul crushing in its banality. That can't be fixed with patches, I heard the combat became better, but haven't tried it myself. I'd just replay BG/IWD/PST instead.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
1. Some people still think the game is shit after patches and DLC.
2. Some people thought the game was bad but the game is better thanks to patches and DLC.
3. Some poeople liked the game at launch and most of them are happy with patches and DLC.
4. Some people have played the game for over 200 hours and still think it's shit.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
I really liked it. Had no baggage (excuse me) from games like PST or Baldur's Gate.

Thought the story line was decent good and things like graphics and sound memorable.

There was a lot of background world building stuff to take in.

Not sure if there was enough differences between the different classes though - maybe that was me.

The Dungeon of the Endless had potential.

Would like to play the two expansions but they have not yet hit the price that would make it worth while. But came close a few times.

Quite hopeful of the next game.

It's fine. Nothing to write home about, but if you're hankering for a combat-crawl with great art, ok writing, and ok minute-to-minute gameplay, then it will tick all the boxes for you. Solid 7/10. 8 if I'm feeling generous.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think you should give it another go. I recently decided to replay it myself, I didn't dislike it on release, but I thought it was pretty average overall. Liking it a lot more the second time around though, not exactly sure if it's the patches or just the fact that I sort of know what I'm doing. The White March content is pretty great. Also replaying both BGs in the meantime helped put things into perspective. It's definitely better than BG1 imo, but not quite as good as BG2.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate it. I kickstarted it, tried it at release, got super bored. I hate the story and characters although I hate that in almost every game. Usually the combat is what makes up for it, but even the combat in this game is super bad. I waited a few years and then tried it again more recently with white something expansion, and it was still just as boring. Bad classes, combat, world, writing, too many loregasms, too many chores. Bad. They must be stopped.

Last edited:

Aaron Burr

Educated
It's better now than when it was released. White March in particular had much better writing and design than the rest of the game. Caed Nua is way better than release but still not jaw dropping. Combat is still the same completely balanced, completely boring experience. It's not a bad game but it's also not a great one. Worth playing at least through WM Parts 1 and 2, Act 3 of the main story still has terrible pacing and feels way too easy.

Sneaky Seal

Aurum Dust
Developer
For me the bigget issue was the writing - I can't recall what the hell I was doing and why. Though Caed Nua did feel hitting close to the point, though it still needed some fine-tuning.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Maybe it's not for you, I was hooked right away. It's so pretty and I love to tank the mobs.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Yeah I didn't care for either GM or Durance, I did like the Druid Hirvanis and I liked Aloth and Eder. Everyone else meh. The Druid class is very fun to play, some of the best AOEs and you can shape shift to a super tank

Lhynn

Arcane
Gave it another shot now that i have my new pc and the game got patched so loading times are not cancer.
Dialogues are completely skippable and theres no reason not to skip them while reading on the wiki what the best rewards are, nothing worth reading other than your interactions with Durance and GM when i run into her i guess. Combat is still 1d100 based shit, and difficulty still comes down to their base defense being higher than your base attack or your base defense being lower than their base attack, that is literally all there is to combat.

That said the game plays a lot more smoothly so if you play it you wont get too frustrated, just bored.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom