Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomwood - Thief-ish stealth horror game from New Blood Interactive - now available on Early Access

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Really like it that they also want to keep it diegetic. So cool. Dead Space was one of the very few games that had almost every element of the HUD and various indicators as part of the in game world. So. Cool.

Curratum

Bit of a shame that Dave Oshry would rather spend his money on stupid domain names and hookers' onlyfans subs instead of hire professionals to work on his games, though.

"one of our modelers and artists" -> checks twitter account of Gloomwood "modeler and artist" -> "trans poly gore zombie goth gf"

I was following Oshry on twitter for the memes for a little while but after he retweeted a dozen posts within a week, all from trans / genderfluid / twink or whatever the actual fuck other word people invent for themselves in the year of our lord 2020, almost all of those posts being horrible cringe, I unfollowed.

Szymanski has also blocked me on twitter, which is cool. I friended him on Steam to thank him for making Dusk, gifted him a 5-dollar game to say "thanks" too, I was Dusk's biggest cheerleader, and I never had any arguments or altercations with him afterwards, which leads me to believe that he has blocked me just because I got in an F-word argument with some trans SJW morons on NB's discord and got banned from there, and his spirit burns so brightly with trans rights passion, he just had to block me everywhere else too.

But hey, with so much other retro stuff coming, I'm sure I can find games to spend my money on that are not made by NewBlood!
:d1p:

computer-crying.gif

Oh no, honey, I'm so sorry that the mean man blocked you for the sperging out about social issues in his gaming discord. While you are getting your diaper changed, just remember that it's always someone else's fault!

good game design does not need to rely on [higher "level" design to be good]
That's a reason games don't HAVE to incorporate save mechanics into the design challenge. No one anywhere has argued that all games MUST have restrictive save systems. So we're all in agreement on that part.

What you've again failed to do is give any reason games SHOULD NOT use save mechanics to enhance the design, if it makes the experience more fun. "Because they shouldn't have to" is not a valid reason. You're saying a painter should never use green paint when they could mix blue and yellow and get a similar result. "Why not use green paint?" "Because you shouldn't have to, you have blue and yellow already." That's a very very dumb reason.

I could rattle off a whole list actually but you know one critical thing that save anywhere systems do? They help guard the player against bugs. Bugs are the one thing developers never truly have control over. If I find myself struggling against bugs and you don't have a save anywhere system for me to try deal with that struggle, I will start to hate you and your game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another solution to this would be to not make your game a buggy mess. Just a thought.

It is a reality of software development in general that the only software that doesn't have bugs is either too trivial to exist or actually doesn't exist. Any programmer who claims otherwise is either ignorant or arrogant.

Game engines are among the most complicated types of software, games rely heavily on a lot of interconnected systems that have unintended consequences, driven by data (assets, levels, etc) made by people who do not (and depending on how large a game engine is, often cannot) understand such interactions and all that often under very stressing conditions (crunch) and time limits (externally imposed deadlines) with the only criterion for quality being "it does what is expected from it under the tested conditions".

And that is without taking into account games which by design try to take advantage of such interconnected systems (like immersive sims).

You get software bugs in industries where people can (and sometimes do) die, like aviation and health, which have so strict development methodologies that seemingly simple stuff can take months to develop while producing software that is much simpler and focused than a game engine.

Expecting games to be bug free is like expecting the sun to not rise next morning. At best you can just close your window blinds, but the sun is still out there.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Rarely. But iTunes fucked me and all my backups going back a year were corrupted. Dickheads. Android 4 lief now.

PrettyDeadman

How many times in the past 20 years have you actually experienced bugs that ruined your save games? Any of you?
1 time (caves of qud). I've encountered negative dodge value stacking due to being stunned repeatedly not returning to it's original level. I could've continued playing or maybe could've fixed it with console, but decided to stop. But it's a roguelike with weakly patches which makes old saves incompatible so it didnt mean much honestly.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Often in recent games I cannot discern any more if something is a bug or an intended feature.

How many times in the past 20 years have you actually experienced bugs that ruined your save games? Any of you?

The more relevant question is how many times have I experienced bugs that have been game-breaking or forced me to an earlier save? And I count at least 3 games in the past year or so.

If you want to extend that to games that I've had to reload and lost a decent amount of progress due to bugs then its a fair few more. Add in the games that just became a pain from redoing a section because it was too long between checkpoints and you have a pretty long list of games.

Curratum

The difference is, Gloomwood has an hour-long demo out and it's good and you can play and see how it is, while this showed half an hour of relatively dull combat and burning and throwing wooden crates around.

Don't get me wrong, I want Graven to be great, but there's still too little of it to tell.

PrettyDeadman

The difference is, Gloomwood has an hour-long demo out and it's good and you can play and see how it is, while this showed half an hour of relatively dull combat and burning and throwing wooden crates around.

Don't get me wrong, I want Graven to be great, but there's still too little of it to tell.
It's good, but not THAT good (enough to be more excited about this one than about Graven).

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How many times have I experienced bugs that have been game-breaking or forced me to an earlier save? I count at least 3 games in the past year or so.
If you want to extend that to games that I've had to reload and lost a decent amount of progress due to bugs then its a fair few more.
I'm confused. So games where you chose not to save often enough are problematic because of other bugs that have nothing to do with the save system?

Add in the games that just became a pain from redoing a section because it was too long between checkpoints and you have a pretty long list of games.
I agree that bad checkpointing is bad. The solution is not "throw checkpointing out the window because it can never work". The solution is good checkpointing.

How many times have I experienced bugs that have been game-breaking or forced me to an earlier save? I count at least 3 games in the past year or so.
If you want to extend that to games that I've had to reload and lost a decent amount of progress due to bugs then its a fair few more.
I'm confused. So games where you chose not to save often enough are problematic because of other bugs that have nothing to do with the save system?

As I said, it's about giving the player a back-up tool to deal with bugs that would become a much bigger problem without save anywhere. And no "well don't have bugs" is not a valid response

Add in the games that just became a pain from redoing a section because it was too long between checkpoints and you have a pretty long list of games.
I agree that bad checkpointing is bad. The solution is not "throw checkpointing out the window because it can never work". The solution is good checkpointing.

Didn't say it never works. I'm saying it's usually inferior.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

A few times, but the point wasn't about savegame bugs but about using saving to get around game bugs (and other issues). For example a common bug is to get stuck in geometry that in some games is "fixed" by saving and reloading. Also many bugs can be worked around by restarting the game - this isn't something that is fixed by saving/loading directly, but by having that you can save, exit and reload and continue right from where you were without having to replay a section of the game you already have beaten (which would be a triple hit in awfulness - the game having a bug, the game not providing a full save system and the game forcing you to replay a part you've already experienced to work around said bug because it doesn't provide a full save system).

Psych0sis

Educated
Szymanski has also blocked me on twitter, which is cool. I friended him on Steam to thank him for making Dusk, gifted him a 5-dollar game to say "thanks" too, I was Dusk's biggest cheerleader, and I never had any arguments or altercations with him afterwards, which leads me to believe that he has blocked me just because I got in an F-word argument with some trans SJW morons on NB's discord and got banned from there, and his spirit burns so brightly with trans rights passion, he just had to block me everywhere else too.

Aren't you the same guy who was absolutely shocked you were banned from the 3DRealms discord for admitting to pirating their games and telling others to do it too? And now you have an obsession with the developer who banned you?

My word you just seem to keep getting banned from these servers for totally 100% no legit reason man why is everything happening like this :dealwithit:

Curratum

Aren't you the same guy who was absolutely shocked you were banned from the 3DRealms discord for admitting to pirating their games and telling others to do it too? And now you have an obsession with the developer who banned you?

My word you just seem to keep getting banned from these servers for totally 100% no legit reason man why is everything happening like this :dealwithit:

msUJ6UW.png

Psych0sis

Educated
Right, I just played all of the EAccess content, on a pirated copy, of course, because screw giving money to people who already donated my money to trans rights organizations.

ZL5y0Sb.png

Now stop shitposting in threads with irrelevant political bullshit already so we can make discussions the best they could be! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom