Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomwood - Thief-ish stealth horror game from New Blood Interactive - now available on Early Access

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't even realize what I was looking for for a second. I love so much how far they are going to integrate the UI into the game world. What's that word they keep using?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
I didn't even realize what I was looking for for a second. I love so much how far they are going to integrate the UI into the game world. What's that word they keep using?
Diegesis/Diegetic. The presentation of UI elements as existing in-world rather than part of a hud or interface.

Curratum

This is a perfect example of wasting development time on "cool, immersive features" instead of working on your AI and granularity of alert states and detection.

I'm dumbfounded they spent literal MONTHS to implement the suitcase inventory from RE. Thief was amazing without MUH IMMERSIVE INVENTORY.

I don't understand why time and effort and money is being spent on dumb "immersive" bullshit when it should be used to work on the mechanics, architecture, levels, AI and interactions. Don't get me wrong, the demo was nice but it was no Thief, it's pretty fucking far from it in terms of granularity and mechanics.

Then again, with Szymanski on the project, I expect to see a lot more soyboy idiocy injected in what could have been a better game.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't understand why time and effort and money is being spent on dumb "immersive" bullshit

I do not see why it is hard to understand: some people, most likely the developers included, like that "immersive bullshit", so they consider it as important as the other stuff you mentioned.

Personally i am not a fan, if anything, i see most UI/HUD elements as a representation for your character's senses, like pain, alertness, a sense of surroundings, etc - ie. i do not see having a little 'alertness level' icon above an NPC's head as my character actually looking such an icon, but a representation for being able to read subtle body/face movements and aural cues that are hard or impossible for the game to communicate to the player - especially for games where the character's skills are supposed to be of greater importance than the player's skills. But i do understand them spending time on it because there are other elements i like and would most probably "waste development time" on, given the opportunity - such as physics-based interaction similar to that in Frictional Games' games or seamless interactivity with in-game panels like in Doom 3.

None of those are necessary in a strict sense, but they dress up the game to make it feel better (and yes, you may not consider all the elements of that 'dress up' important, but a game isn't made just for you). Without that sort of dress up, games would be just Excel sheets where you'd type your numbers and calculate the outcome (and i'm sure there are people who like to do just that).

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is a perfect example of wasting development time on "cool, immersive features" instead of working on your AI and granularity of alert states and detection.
I know! They also wasted so much time on graphics. That could have been time spent on AI instead! Also there's music and lighting? What a waste! Could have been a text adventure with sweet AI instead! Also they ordered a pizza one time? They could have spent that money hiring another AI programmer! Because it never makes sense for devs to work on more than one aspect of a game! Game dev doesn't work like that! Just make the one thing I want and nothing else! Me! Me! Me!

Zombra

Patron
Because there hasn't been any news in the thread for months

The official discord is way too spammy to actually get any information from. Has anyone seen a substantial dev blog or somesuch?

Curratum

The official discord is way too spammy to actually get any information from. Has anyone seen a substantial dev blog or somesuch?

Knowing how the dev likes to spend his time, he's probably spent the last 3 and a half months since the "immersive inventory reveal" tweaking something wildly irrelevant and disconnected from actual gameplay improvement and refinement...

Oh, wait...

Citizen

so you can just start a level, go poop or cook ramen, and go play the level with some of the lighting dead?

Pretty realistic isn't it? I was a thief in the era of gas lanterns on the street I'd wait for just before the sunrise when the lanterns are already out of fuel but it's still dark

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
it could be awesome if they pair it with several guards that's on lighting patrol. they will relit the lights on routine, and if you take them out, it will take care the lights in time.

Curratum

so you can just start a level, go poop or cook ramen, and go play the level with some of the lighting dead?

Pretty realistic isn't it? I was a thief in the era of gas lanterns on the street I'd wait for just before the sunrise when the lanterns are already out of fuel but it's still dark

This is specifically for fireplaces and open fires, not lanterns.

ADL

Prophet
release never ever
IM0boLd.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom