Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomwood - Thief-ish stealth horror game from New Blood Interactive - now available on Early Access

toughasnails

How many zoomers would even know who the fuck Malcolm McDowell even is, or would care about any of the games Gloomwood is drawing from tho? Save maybe for Deus Ex but even there I wonder how many of them actually played it rather than being into memes (bc JC looks funny, the lines taken out of context are funny, early 00s animations and voice acting are funny...) and maybe watching streams and videos commentaries/analyses of it.

Curratum

Also, Sir Malcolm McDowell doesn't voice anyone in the game. Dave Oshry literally said "Someone needs to take away my Cameo account", i.e. he just used the Cameo service to commission that, it seems.

Oshry / NB used a Malaysian (?) Vtuber, the worst type of 7-year-old giggling voide-modulated pedo bait, to promote Ultrakill ahead of the demo release. What more do you need to know about how this ship is run?

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The cocksuckers removed the grid inventory and the cool light ring.

Curratum

Pre-alpha demo, fucking hell...

"Hey uh guys... I ah.. I worked on this game for 3 years, but I want you to know that I auhhhm, well, this is a PRE-ALPHA, right? This is still early days, guys, very very early! Early access is coming out in 2 weeks, but I'm sure you'll have patience and stick it out with me for another 3 years until it's released, right! Love you guys, making gams is hard!"

Computer and video games as a whole were one big mistake.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
He's been working on it so much he's looped around and arrived back at a point before he implemented many of the features.

Truly amazing.

Retardo

Learned
Hey, it's the way NB does things - they polish their games with a fervor of a cat licking his balls.

ColCol

Arcane
Pre-alpha demo, fucking hell...

"Hey uh guys... I ah.. I worked on this game for 3 years, but I want you to know that I auhhhm, well, this is a PRE-ALPHA, right? This is still early days, guys, very very early! Early access is coming out in 2 weeks, but I'm sure you'll have patience and stick it out with me for another 3 years until it's released, right! Love you guys, making gams is hard!"

Computer and video games as a whole were one big mistake.

Its kinda weird, I don't really know New Blood's deal as a publisher. Gloomhaven seems like their next big project in regards to public interest, so why aren't they trying to get more developers on the project. The seem to have funds.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
1662435220761.png

Wunderbar

Arcane
Dev claims that the early access version would contain only 1/4 of the final game, so beating it in 2 hours sounds about right.

Disagree on the linearity, i thought the levels had plenty of optional areas and alternative paths to progress. The game can only be called linear if you compare it to Thief 1-2, but it's clear it's not actually "thief with guns" so there is no point in drawing comparisons.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dev claims that the early access version would contain only 1/4 of the final game, so beating it in 2 hours sounds about right.

Disagree on the linearity, i thought the levels had plenty of optional areas and alternative paths to progress. The game can only be called linear if you compare it to Thief 1-2, but it's clear it's not actually "thief with guns" so there is no point in drawing comparisons.

did you pick up the early access release or are you just recalling the demo?

Wunderbar

Arcane

i bought it.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik

i bought it.

what is your overall opinion of the game so far? is it fair to say it's not really an imsim and more of a survival horror type of game?

Wunderbar

Arcane
what is your overall opinion of the game so far?
As I said earlier in this thread, Gloomwood is more of a Deus Ex / Resident Evil mashup than "Thief with guns". Or, if you want to draw comparisons with Thief, Gloomwood would likely be a game made entirely of Cragscleft / Bonehoard type of missions where you must go from point A to B while avoiding or killing monstrous enemies.

is it fair to say it's not really an imsim and more of a survival horror type of game?
well one doesn't exclude the other, Thief and Prey had a bunch of spooky moments.

Plus, imsim isn't really a genre, it's more of a buzzword that you can use to describe games similar to other games. Gloomwood does try to simulate reality - it has some emergent gameplay features (such as fire propagation, noise system, destructible light sources, physics and the ability to pick up clutter and throw it around, inventory with items having different sizes, climbing, etc). It has some non-linearity - you can walk in and just blast enemies with a gun, you can sneak past them, you can find an entirely different way around the enemy location, etc. I guess you can call it an immersive sim.

Self-Ejected

Netch

Self-Ejected
The game can only be called linear if you compare it to Thief 1-2, but it's clear it's not actually "thief with guns" so there is no point in drawing comparisons.

The dev is the one who drew that comparison in the first place, so yeah there is actually a point.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The game can only be called linear if you compare it to Thief 1-2, but it's clear it's not actually "thief with guns" so there is no point in drawing comparisons.

The dev is the one who drew that comparison in the first place, so yeah there is actually a point.
I thought it was the publisher (David something-ski), and he did it for the marketing purposes.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
it was Dave Oshry, the CEO of New Blood who does all the publisher-side stuff.

David Szymanski is co-developer on Gloomwood and is the guy who made Dusk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom