Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomwood - Thief-ish stealth horror game from New Blood Interactive - now available on Early Access

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There's a few things I'd like to see added, like a sprint button but if they can continue improving it and add quality content it should turn out well.
Yeah, sprinting would be very welcome, as well as a means to illuminate dark areas (say, a lighter that gives you away obviously) because some places in-game are really dark and almost impossible to navigate.

Wunderbar

Arcane
as well as a means to illuminate dark areas
like, ugh, a lantern?

mUYf4ZS.jpg

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Apparently, yes.

I guess I didn't get far enough into the game to get it.

Star Citizen

Learned
Played the demo for a bit and all it made me think was how much I'd rather be replaying Thief 2 or an FM instead. While it ain't totally the same as Thief, I feel they tried to lift WAY too much from it, achieving varying degrees of success in doing so and never quite hitting any of the highs. Didn't find it bad by any means, it just felt a lil too much like something that already existed and while that's intentional as they're using the nostalgia approach to marketing, it's a pretty unfortunate scope in my opinion. Still, I'm gonna check in once in a while to see how development progresses.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
its literally Sir You Are Being Hunted
Not a bad thing, that game is based
sir you are being hunted was a decent little game, yeah, and thank god it came out in a time before every indie game has to label itself with innumerous marketing buzzwords and indie developers could just make a game instead of desperately trying to fit into the framework of some retro fad

Delphik

looking at the people who enjoy this game vs the people who hate it makes me think it's probably actually good
If you jack off to uninspired and shitty gameplay with no real substance whatsoever it's the game for you, play CTRL ALT EGO instead (Yes I'll shill that game until I die).
I can't take the game seriously with those goofy hats the enemies wear.
Not to mention that their voice acting is actually garbage.

Curratum

The game is a directionless, dev-hell effort to please everyone at the same time which will end up in tears, with the same couple thousand NB fluffers sucking them off all over twitter and the Steam reviews and claiming it's at least as good as "the classics", even though they're 20 and never even touched Thief in their life.

ciox

Liturgist
This game's main thing is deflecting criticism via "It's not really Thief!" while also trying to draw as much energy from Thief's gravitational pull as is humanly possible.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This game's main thing is deflecting criticism via "It's not really Thief!" while also trying to draw as much energy from Thief's gravitational pull as is humanly possible.
The marketing for the game was poorly handed in that regard, I agree, but it's also true that the game does try to tap into the same atmosphere "core" that Thief games do.

The game gets compared to Thief because it's the one immersive sim Gloomwood is closest to in terms of mechanics. You have a light gem (light ring to be more precise), mantling, a big emphasis is placed on navigating the environment via stealth, noise is different depending on what surface you're walking on, levels are littered with secrets clearly inspired by Thief levels, you have access to a weapon that fires a wide variety of utility projectiles and will have access to a grappling hook in the future. None of these aspects are wholly unique to Thief games, but the vast majority of mechanics and player-abilities in Gloomwood come directly from Thief.

That being said, the game is definitely not focused on ghosting - it helps to think of it as a first-person Resident Evil game (resource management, backtracking, exploration) with optional stealth. The dev is also on record saying that mechanics are going to be put in place that will discourage players from killing every enemy they come across - he's already implemented enemies with body armor that can't be backstabbed, and a morepowerful enemy will appear in areas where the player has killed people.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I don't understand why it is hard to grasp how something can be inspired by X without sharing the same design goals - and therefore being a distinct experience.
Unfortunately, this seems to be the norm in this medium
People instinctively make judgements on games based shared similarities, even if the ressembles are superficial

Honestly, saying that your game was "inspired" by any other game is always bad, unless it's pretty much a clone
Agreed
It's certaintly not doing this project any favors
Peripeteia is imo also a similiar case, though perhaps not as bad as this...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom