Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomwood - Thief-ish stealth horror game from New Blood Interactive - now available on Early Access

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
this looks.. alright but i don't like the cartoony aesthetics of the enemies. that works against the game's atmosphere and totally clashes with the Thief-like art design

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh, this has apparently been in development since 2014(!) https://jollyrogers99.tumblr.com

It didn't look like a Thief mod then.
tumblr_nmgbv8mD7h1tj74sbo2_1280.png

That getup is coming back in style. If this had come out last year, it would now be lauded as prescient.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well it looks more like a regular survival horror with stealth elements rather than a Thief's successor.

Being exactly like Thief would be boring. I skipped around the video, but it looks like a thing I will very much enjoy whichever way it leans. Gimmie.

Curratum

This is the best Thief 2 asset flip I've ever seen! :D

No hard feelings, I'm excited for the game, it's just that... well, you can see...

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I kind of like the aesthetic. It strikes a balance between being interesting looking and not being unfunctional. Games like modern THIAF are oversaturated with detail to the point where you can't tell what is interactible and what is not and developers are forced to highlight interactibility in obvious (map markers) and not so obvious ways (the infamous contrastic paint on objects you can climb), making the world less believable and more gamey. Environment readability is hugely important in immersive sims. The only other game that strikes this balance is Dark Mod.

Some normal maps and beveled hard edges would go a long way though.

Last edited:

Nito

Educated
Patron
So, Thief 4? Right?
Right. Ok, good talk.

It looks like Thief, but the maker likes to compare it with Shock 2 or Deus Ex. But we'll see once we get to play the demo.... soon.

Yeah the Gloomwood discord channel is a constant back and forth on what Gloodwood is like; it's a mish-mash of basically all the Looking Glass isims, but it's hard not to draw comparisons with Thief.

Strong chance of a demo next week FYI.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Oh...someone really looked at that and said, yeah, let's promote our game using this. That's something anyone on this board could make, and I mean that. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom